Watch MNF on Mute...just a warning

Thailog80

The matchups are what suck now on MNF.  More than ever, considering the show's move to cable, they'll rely on the big market teams to give them their automatic ratings rather than working to provide good matchups.  For that reason, I no longer regularly watch MNF.  I'll tune in to watch a game now and then, but it's no longer required viewing for me.  It won't be until they fix the problem, not the symptoms.

598378[/snapback]

Well, isn't the whole "flex schedule" meant to at least partially fix that? I mean, they want the prime-time game to generate ratings, and there are three sure-fire ways to schedule to that, when you are scheduling before the season starts:

--"Popular franchises"

--"large market franchises"

--last year's playoff teams (especially when done as "rematches.")

It seems like they've combined the three when doing it, generally putting less emphasis on "last year's playoff teams" (unless they are also one of the other two) because of how varied the league has become (this year's playoff team may stink next year). Wasn't there a part of the TV contract that allowed for "flex scheduling" to enable a potentially "good matchup" for the prime time game, if say the original schedule ended up pitting a 8-2 team vs a 1-9 team? Or didn't that happen?

You know what sucks even worse than Tirico, Theeeeeeeeeeesman, Kornheiser, or whoever else they can find to man the booth?

Week 1:  Green Bay vs Detroit

Week 2:  NY (doesn't matter which one; just one of them) vs Oakland

Week 3:  Dallas vs Kansas City

Week 4:  San Fransisco vs Dallas

Week 5:  Indianapolis vs Dallas

Week 6:  Dallas vs Dallas

and so on and so on...

It won't be until they fix the problem, not the symptoms.

598378[/snapback]

I think that NBC is going to get tp pick the Sunday nighters beginning like the 1st of Novemebr.But, they have to pick them 4 weeks in advance, so may not be as great as it seems. I do not think ESPN gets that option.

BTW, is TK going to get a bus like Madden, he hates to fly. And i've been listening to Mister Tony since day at WTEM in DC, love the guy. Be interesting to see how he does

You know what sucks even worse than Tirico, Theeeeeeeeeeesman, Kornheiser, or whoever else they can find to man the booth?

Week 1:  Green Bay vs Detroit

Week 2:  NY (doesn't matter which one; just one of them) vs Oakland

Week 3:  Dallas vs Kansas City

Week 4:  San Fransisco vs Dallas

Week 5:  Indianapolis vs Dallas

Week 6:  Dallas vs Dallas

and so on and so on...

The matchups are what suck now on MNF.  More than ever, considering the show's move to cable, they'll rely on the big market teams to give them their automatic ratings rather than working to provide good matchups.  For that reason, I no longer regularly watch MNF.  I'll tune in to watch a game now and then, but it's no longer required viewing for me.  It won't be until they fix the problem, not the symptoms.

598378[/snapback]

I'm really looking forward to that week 6 matchip :( You hit the nail on the head. So many of the MNF football games turn out to be borefests because of the lineups. The ideal situation would allow for flexiable matchups so that a decent game could picked from each weeks games instead trying to figure out 1 year in advance who the good teams are going to be. This would cause problems for CBS and FOX though because they could be losing one of their marque mtacups for that week.

I think that NBC is going to get tp pick the Sunday nighters beginning like the 1st of Novemebr.But, they have to pick them 4 weeks in advance, so may not be as great as it seems. I do not think ESPN gets that option.

BTW, is TK going to get a bus like Madden, he hates to fly. And i've been listening to Mister Tony since day at WTEM in DC, love the guy. Be interesting to see how he does

598393[/snapback]

I like TK also, though he might be out of his element in the booth. Since the MNF and SNF telecasts are not about the games as much as they're trying to entertain from the booth, how about swapping Theismann for Wilbon? At least then there will be some sense of familiarity.

Any word on why michaels is NOT going to continue?  Could it have to do with the fixed super bowl?  I could see him as being very upset that he was put in the position to call what amounted to be a fixed match.

598487[/snapback]

Nope. Word on the street is that he is going to do the NBC Sunday night games with Madden.

I like TK also, though he might be out of his element in the booth. Since the MNF and SNF telecasts are not about the games as much as they're trying to entertain from the booth, how about swapping Theismann for Wilbon? At least then there will be some sense of familiarity.

598433[/snapback]

I agree, those 3 would be pretty good. And Tirico over Patrick is a HUGE improvement.

I agree, those 3 would be pretty good. And Tirico over Patrick is a HUGE improvement.

598552[/snapback]

Tirico is excellent. Big improvement there.

Theisman is a trainwreck. Who likes this blowhard anyway?

Kornheiser is good on PTI, but who knows how he will be in the booth. My guess is he will be a little too annoying.

Maguire, I'm gonna tell you, will NOT be missed. He was awful.

Madden still sucks.

Michaels has slipped a little, although he is still good. Problem with Michaels is that he is so into the "storyline" of the game (i.e. Bruschi, Dungy,etc.) that he often ignores the game and he doesn't describe what is happening on the field with detail.

Theisman is a trainwreck. Who likes this blowhard anyway?

Madden still sucks.

598586[/snapback]

I seem to be the only one who likes Theismann. The reason is that he is critical of officiating and at least commentates at the speed of the game.

After watching the superbowl with Madden, who refuses to be controversial, depends on replays because he misses what happens DURING the play, and rarely says anything that semi-educated football fans find interesting, I am convinced he has nothing left to offer.

Theismann has his faults. He says one thing and 30 seconds later says another. He heaps on the praise for the superstars (get a room, Joe!). But he doesn't let the crappy calls go by like Madden did. I would have loved to see Theismann instead of Madden in the recent Superbowl. Kornheiser will call Joe on his faults during the game and this will be a good team.

Tirico? Not a big fan of his as a play by play announcer. He was bad with Herbstreit and Corso because he didn't do his job. If he gives the down and distance, substitutions, penalities, and stays ahead of the game, etc... and doesn't waste his time trying to join in the shtick of the other two, I will change my opinion on Tirico.

I seem to be the only one who likes Theismann. The reason is that he is critical of officiating and at least commentates at the speed of the game.

After watching the superbowl with Madden, who refuses to be controversial, depends on replays because he misses what happens DURING the play, and rarely says anything that semi-educated football fans find interesting, I am convinced he has nothing left to offer.

Theismann has his faults.  He says one thing and 30 seconds later says another. He heaps on the praise for the superstars (get a room, Joe!).  But he doesn't let the crappy calls go by like Madden did.  I would have loved to see Theismann instead of Madden in the recent Superbowl.  Kornheiser will call Joe on his faults during the game and this will be a good team.

Tirico? Not a big fan of his as a play by play announcer.  He was bad with Herbstreit and Corso because he didn't do his job.  If he gives the down and distance, substitutions, penalities, etc... and doesn't waste his time trying to join in the shtick of the other two, I will change my opinion on Tirico.

598767[/snapback]

Theisman said that Mike Tice was the coach of the year in a December sunday night game.

Enough said.

Theisman said that Mike Tice was the coach of the year in a December sunday night game.

Enough said.

598769[/snapback]

If your point is that Theismann is a little too sensationalistic, I agree. When Theismann said that, the Vikings were 2-5 earlier in the season and went through the Love Boat scandal.

The Vikings won 6 in a row after everyone had them out of it and all of a sudden they were 8-5 after being 2-5. "Mike and Mike" and other respectable sports guys also mentioned Tice as a coach of the year candidate in mid-December just for keeping his team in it.

Then the Vikes lost 2 in a row and were out of it. But it wasn't an unreasonable statement at the time.

Thank god PTI will still be shown on Mondays. I love that show! :lol:

But why on earth did Espn keep Theisman. He's a terrible announcer. If you heard him on ever sunday night game this year, he doesn't talk about the game at all. He just says random things to distract everyone else from the game. All I have to say is: Why Espn, Why keep Theisman? :lol:

I lost what little respect I had left for Maguire, Theismen, and Patrick after the Ted Bruschi ball washing, that was supposed to be the Bills-Patriots game.

That whiny voiced Suzy Kolber should go too. Did you see her hair style on the Super Bowl broadcast? It looked strands of mop placed upon her head.

Thank god PTI will still be shown on Mondays.  I love that show! :lol:

But why on earth did Espn keep Theisman.  He's a terrible announcer.  If you heard him on ever sunday night game this year, he doesn't talk about the game at all.  He just says random things to distract everyone else from the game.  All I have to say is: Why Espn, Why keep Theisman? :lol:

599128[/snapback]

This why Mister Tony will be great on these games. From this mornings Post, written BY TK Stack Money himself:

Tony, everyone knows you go to bed by 9:30 p.m. How are you going to stay up for "Monday Night Football?"

A. Because like millions of other aging baby boomers Ihaven't watched a full Monday night game in 20 years, I have asked the league to change the start times to 6 p.m. and rename the telecast "The Monday Night Early Bird."

Q. Seriously, how are you going to stay up for the whole game?

A. I'm not sure I will. I've listened to Joe Theismann talk so much over the last 25 years, both in person and on television, it's possible I'll just zone out.

Q. Are you supposed to be the next Howard Cosell?

A. I'll let you know as soon as the glue on the hairpiece dries

I lost what little respect I had left for Maguire, Theismen, and Patrick after the Ted Bruschi ball washing, that was supposed to be the Bills-Patriots game.

That whiny voiced Suzy Kolber should go too. Did you see her hair style on the Super Bowl broadcast? It looked strands of mop placed upon her head.

599147[/snapback]

Boy, you ain't kidding! I really miss Mellisa Stark and her perky ta tas. At least she was plesant to look at. Does anyone really care what these sideline reporters report?? It's all a bunch of Bullcrap anyway.

...."Back up to you, Al" :lol:

Boy, you ain't kidding! I really miss Mellisa Stark and her perky ta tas. At least she was plesant to look at. Does anyone really care what these sideline reporters report?? It's all a bunch of Bullcrap anyway.

...."Back up to you, Al" :lol:

599258[/snapback]

You've gotta love the halftime interview with the coach....very insightful...

Sideline Reporter: "Coach, you're going into the locker room down by 3 points. What do you think you need to do in the second half to win this game?"

Coach: "Ummm, score at least 4 more points than they do..."