Montana Snubbed the NFL

Montana has said that he refused for the simple reason that he wanted to spend time with his kids and watch the game with his family.  No big deal really.

But the NFL, regardless of how angry they get with a player, should never remove that player's stats and accomplishments from their books.  That'd be ridiulous, IMO.  Also, the NFL can not kick him out of the HoF, it's the Professional Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL Hall of Fame.  They're seperate entities.

597408[/snapback]

I thought it was Bradshaw that wanted to spend time with his family? Anyway, I agree that it would be ridiculous to remove the records, I was just trying to point out that there isn't much the NFL can do to retaliate, except those type of things.

Of course it would be a disaster if they removed the records because it would ruin the "integrity" of the league.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was Bradshaw that wanted to spend time with his family?  Anyway, I agree that it would be ridiculous to remove the records,  I was just trying to point out that there isn't much the NFL can do to retaliate, except those type of things.

Of course it would be a disaster if they removed the records because it would ruin the "integrity" of the league.

597535[/snapback]

Both Montana and Bradshaw are saying it had nothing to do about money - they just had other commitments. Montana wanted to attend his son's (high school?) basketball game. Bradshaw wanted to spend the weekend with his family. Montana said he wouldn't have given up seeing his son's BB game for even $100,000 anyway.

Really can't fault either for their decisions.

Linky:

Montana and Bradshaw deny reports they asked for more money to attend SB XL

After reading through this entire thread I am starting to understand why I don't see eye to eye with many people at TSW. Last time I checked, this was a free country and former NFL QB's can do as they please. The ceremony was unspectacular as best. The SuperBowl has turned into a giant whore suckling the teat of the world for all the jack they can cram into their pockets. That being said, this is America and if you want to cheapen your event with parlor tricks and theatrics go right ahead.

Everyone seems to deify anyone and anything to do with the Superbowl. It's a freaking football game.

After reading through this entire thread I am starting to understand why I don't see eye to eye with many people at TSW.   Last time I checked, this was a free country and former NFL QB's can do as they please.  The ceremony was unspectacular as best.  The SuperBowl has turned into a giant whore suckling the teat of the world for all the jack they can cram into their pockets.  That being said, this is America and if you want to cheapen your event with parlor tricks and theatrics go right ahead. 

Everyone seems to deify anyone and anything to do with the Superbowl.   It's a freaking football game.

598132[/snapback]

Exactly!!

Not sure how I would handle something like this... I respect JM's and TB's right to do what they want in this matter.

Exactly!!

Not sure how I would handle something like this... I respect JM's and TB's right to do what they want in this matter.

598337[/snapback]

I'm with you EIL!!! I don't see why they are obligated in any way to participate if they do not choose to do so.

It is great to see you sticking up for freedom! :(:(:blink::huh:

I'm with you EIL!!! I don't see why they are obligated in any way to participate if they do not choose to do so.

It is great to see you sticking up for freedom!  :(  :(  :blink:  :huh:

598341[/snapback]

The NFL has made a decision that it is not about the game, it is about the corporate carnival. If you've won a superbowl, why would you sacrifice your plans with your family to be part of 20 seconds of this Carnival. The NFL is soaking in money, and it is run like a cartel. For some reason they have picked Rock Concerts and Hollywood production over honoring players. It all seems transparent to me. Filthy Lucre wins.

I might be wrong, but I thought that I heard on Mike and Mike that Bradshaw was at the game.

596407[/snapback]

I dont think Joe Montana is out line with his request. All the performers get paid for an appearance at the superbowl. Probably all the MVPs got paid to do it as well. What they were paid is unknown. But for Joe montana to ask For a $100k sounds reasonable for $25k for his 3 mvps and $25K to do the ring toss.

Also the NFL didnt make these guys we the fans made these guys and the NFL what they are paid today because we pay to see them play. I think Joe Montana or anyother player who is be asked by the NFL to make an appearance should get paid for their services. I know I would want to be paid for ppublic apperances especially since they are making mega millions on the show.

It is great to see you sticking up for freedom!  :(  :(  :)  ;)

598341[/snapback]

I always do! :blink:

Here is another guy that does:

US

Don't let the fact that he is the son of "Mountain Hippies" get in the way Bill!

:huh:;)0:)

I always do!  :(

Here is another guy that does:

US

Don't let the fact that he is the son of "Mountain Hippies" get in the way Bill!

:(  :huh:  :blink:

598359[/snapback]

Bodie Miller is a loud mouth drunk who can't keep his mouth shut. Maybe I was stretching with the free country stuff but WTF, they don't owe the NFL anything.

tenneesee boy said it best they dont owe the nfl sh--!  when the nfl is charging 2.5 mil a ad for the superbowl and you know the nfl is strong arming everybody else for everything they want.why shouldnt joe montana demand a fee..........the nfl is charging a fee in a sense to see joe montana

596927[/snapback]

The NFL doesn't charge a fee to put commercials on the air, the network does.