worst officiated super bowl ever

Dr. K

Hell, all I know is, if a player is unconscious and partially out of bounds, and the ball is inbounds but touching any part of the player's body, then the ball is out of bounds!

Case closed!

:doh:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Ben = Tom Brady = Ref favoritism.  Pittsburgh played a good game, but Seattle outplayed them, and the REFS decided the outcome.  It was a lovefest for the Bus and Pittsburgh.  I feel sorry for the NFL and the Seahawks.

595810[/snapback]

I feel sorry for Seattle. I feel disgust for the NFL.

This isn't just some random game they did this with. This is THE game. The game that everything is played for. The whole season....EVERYTHING...was crapped on.

But what the hell can ya do? Not watch next year? Not really an option.

Bad calls or not...the Seahawks didn't DESERVE this game. Jeremy Stevens played timidly and soft (just as Jerry Porter predicted). The Seahawks gave up the longest TD run in SB history. Their D surrendered two first downs with six minutes left. They botched four scoring opportunities that could have provided them 12 points. The refs weren't doing them any favors, but they didn't shut the door on them.

595796[/snapback]

Agreed. Holmgen called a piss poor game. Pittsburgh was no great shakes, but the Randel El pass was a thing of beauty.

Bad calls or not...the Seahawks didn't DESERVE this game. Jeremy Stevens played timidly and soft (just as Jerry Porter predicted). The Seahawks gave up the longest TD run in SB history. Their D surrendered two first downs with six minutes left. They botched four scoring opportunities that could have provided them 12 points. The refs weren't doing them any favors, but they didn't shut the door on them.

595796[/snapback]

The Steelers didn't exactly do much to win the game either. The 21 points they had were accumulated on a questionable QB sneak set up by a desperation bomb, a 75 yard TD run, and a 48 yard reverse pass. They were also ourtgained by 57 yards.

Seattle did melt down at times, but without the referee interference odds are they would have been able to overcome those meltdowns. As we all should know the SB only allows for so many momentum shifts before one team just dies out, and it seemed like every call was made at a time when Seattle was gaining mo. Call holding on Ben's long pass in the first half, or on the Randel EL TD pass, and you probably have a different outcome in the game. Seattle didn't have to overcome just one of those calls though; they had to overcome 2 which would either have been a 7, 10, or 14 point difference in their score.

Seattle was the better team and deserved to win.

Okay WRT hitting the pylon being a TD, I've already provided a quote by Haslett that touching the pylon is a TD. According to this link, it IS a TD:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/6843798

All right, let's talk about another call at the goal line that was made in another game involving an NFC East team, the Eagles and the Giants. Right before halftime, the Giants, trying desperately to get into the end zone to get back in this game, they're down 14-3. Tiki Barber reaches for the pylon, appears to nick the pylon with the ball, which would be a touchdown. Instead, it was ruled no touchdown and the Giants tried four more times from the goal line and couldn't get it in. What happened there, Mike?

Pereira: Well, this was another one that's a very interesting play because if you look at Tiki, and here's the shot we're going to get. This one is really tight also. Here's the shot that we got on replay (looking at the screen). Watch him reach with his right arm and the ball is going to touch the pylon. That appears to be a touchdown. At the time, it wasn't stopped and we're inside at two minutes and the replay assistant didn't stop it and it didn't seem significant because we really gave them first-and-goal. But as you know, the Giants didn't score on the play so it ended up being somewhat controversial. But when you look at the line feed, this is what the replay assistant first saw. I want you to see what happens. Look at, look at -- he's out of bounds.

Now like with the play Haslett was referring to, the above was a running play where possession was never in doubt. But touching the pylon IS a TD. The fact that DJ's right foot touched OOB before his left knee hit the pylon, makes my question is moot. But I'd like to know the answer if the left knee had touched first.

don't forget 2 missed field goals. very long kicks, but would have made that last drive a lot more exciting.

595830[/snapback]

I question Holmgren's decision to go for the 50 yarder in that situation. The way the Pittsburgh offense was playing at that point, I think it would have been wiser to back em up rather than give them the ball back near midfield on a kick with about a 25-75 chance of being made.

But touching the pylon IS a TD. The fact that DJ's right foot touched OOB before his left knee hit the pylon, makes my question is moot. But I'd like to know the answer if the left knee had touched first.

you are thinking of the wrong thing.

when the ball hits the pylon it is a td, but a foot hitting the pylon before stepping out of bounds is no different than just stepping out of bounds in the endzone.

But I'd like to know the answer if the left knee had touched first.

595842[/snapback]

I'm kind of confused, so this may not make sense, but:

Unless both feet touched in bounds, it doesn't matter if the pylon was touched first. The pylon TD is only good AFTER posession is established, and the pylon will never establish posession.

I question Holmgren's decision to go for the 50 yarder in that situation.  The way the Pittsburgh offense was playing at that point, I think it would have been wiser to back em up rather than give them the ball back near midfield on a kick with about a 25-75 chance of being made.

595845[/snapback]

Tough call, but I would say kick the FG. He had the distance, it was just a bit off.

The only question I would raise is why they didn't call a TO before attempting the FG at the end of half. That kick was way too long to rush, and there was no reason not to call a TO. (At least I'm pretty sure they had one left at that point...right?)

These three calls all took Seattle out of favorable TD/FG situations. The first one looked like a hold to me, but even if you exclude that the other two calls meant the difference in this game.  Wipe off the bogus interference call and Seattle only needs a TD that last drive.  Wipe out both that call and the bogus hold on the Stevens catch and they're either winning or a FG away that last drive. Not only did it remove points from the board, but it set up situations taylor made for the Pittsburgh defense.

3-6-PIT41 (6:24) M.Hasselbeck pass to D.Jackson to PIT 23 for 18 yards (T.Carter).

PENALTY on SEA-C.Gray, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 41 - No Play.

Result= Punt

1-10-PIT16 (2:08) M.Hasselbeck pass to D.Jackson for 16 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on SEA-D.Jackson, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 16 - No Play.

Result= FG

1-10-PIT19 (12:35) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to PIT 1 for 18 yards (C.Hope; T.Polamalu). PENALTY on SEA-S.Locklear, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 19 - No Play.

Result= INT

595726[/snapback]

And Kzoo as usual is on the mark.

Wow I mean just wow - that was pathetic.

Do the refs count against the Steelers salary cap?

I was suprised they overturned the Hasselbeck 'fumble'.

I was suprised they overturned the Hasselbeck 'fumble'.

595899[/snapback]

A couple of the people I was watching the game with said that too, but I was expecting it. The game was pretty much sealed at that point. They could afford to call it correctly. If anything wierd happened after that (big play by Seattle), they could just call another holding penalty to CTA's.

Hell, all I know is, if a player is unconscious and partially out of bounds, and the ball is inbounds but touching any part of the player's body, then the ball is out of bounds!

Case closed!

:doh:

595808[/snapback]

Yes, but in the official's judgement the unconscious player might have made "a football move." :angry: