Mel Kiper's new Mock Draft

BuffBills#1

Updated: Jan. 31, 2006

Six Trojans projected to go in first roundBy Mel Kiper Jr.

Special to ESPN Insider

Following the week of Senior Bowl practices, there have been some changes to my first-round projection for the 2006 NFL draft. There are 14 underclassmen in this week's projected first round, three fewer than last week.

The top-six picks remain the same, but the one newcomer to the top 10 is Texas defensive back Michael Huff. Right now I have him projected to land in San Francisco, which has the seventh overall pick. What I like about Huff is his versatility because he can player either cornerback or safety.

This projected pick reminds me of what the 49ers did in 1981 in a similar situation. In the '81 draft, the 49ers had the eighth overall pick and selected another versatile defensive back, USC's Ronnie Lott.

I will submit another first-round projection following the NFL Combine, which is Feb. 22-28 in Indianapolis.

First-Round Projections

1. Houston Reggie Bush, RB* USC

2. New Orleans Matt Leinart, QB USC

3. Tennessee Vince Young, QB* Texas

4. NY Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T Virginia

5. Green Bay Mario Williams, DE* NC State

6. Oakland A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio St.

7. San Francisco Michael Huff, DB Texas

8. Buffalo Haloti Ngata, DT* Oregon

9. Detroit Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt

10. Arizona DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis

11. St. Louis Vernon Davis, TE* Maryland

12. Cleveland Chad Greenway, LB Iowa

13. Baltimore Tamba Hali, DE Penn St.

14. Philadelphia Winston Justice, T* USC

15. Atlanta Jimmy Williams, DB Virginia Tech

16. Miami Ashton Youboty, CB* Ohio St.

17. Minnesota LenDale White, RB* USC

18. Dallas Marcus McNeill, T Auburn

19. San Diego Santonio Holmes, WR* Ohio St.

20. Kansas City Tye Hill, CB Clemson

21. New England Laurence Maroney, RB* Minnesota

22. Denver (from WSH) Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College

23. Tampa Bay DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama

24. Cincinnati Ko Simpson, DB* South Carolina

25. NY Giants Johnathan Joseph, CB* South Carolina

26. Chicago Leonard Pope, TE* Georgia

27. Carolina Dominique Byrd, TE USC

28. Jacksonville Ernie Sims, OLB* Florida St.

29. Denver Sinorice Moss, WR Miami

30. Indianapolis Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, G USC

31. Pittsburgh Bobby Carpenter, LB Ohio St.

32. Seattle Maurice Stovall, WR Notre Dame

This is Kiper's Mock Draft from today and I thought I'de list some players that would be available with our 2nd and 3rd round picks. (In no specific order)

TE

Marcedes Lewis TE from UCLA

Anthony Fasano TE from ND

Tackles

Eric Winston OT from Miami

Jonathon Scott OT from Texas

Ryan O'callaghan OT from Cal. (Kiper was very down on this kid saying that he sees him as a backup RT and nothing more)

Daryn Colledge OT from Boise State

Andrew Whitworth OT from LSU

Jeremy Trueblood OT from BC

Guards

Max Jean-Giles OG from Georgia

Davin Joseph OG from Oklahoma

Charles Spencer OG from Pitt.

Jason Spitz OG from Louisville

C

Nick Mangold C from Ohio State

DE

Manny Lawson DE from N.C. state

Darryl Tapp DE from VT

Ray Edwards DE from Purdue

DT

Gabe Watson DT from Mich. (In another article by Kiper he said that he doesn't expect Watson to get out of the 1st round. I found it interesting that he didn't put him in his mock draft though)

Orien Harris DT from Miami

Brodrick Bunkley DT from FSU

Claude Wrotten DT from LSU

LB

D'Qwell Jackson MLB from Maryland

CB

Antonio Cromartie CB from FSU

Kelly Jennings CB from Miami

Safeties

Darnell Bing S from USC

Donte Whinter S from OSU

Danioel Bullocks S from Neb.

Bernard Pollard S from Purdue

Jonathon Scott came into the year as perhaps the top rated tackle - must not have played as well this year as last - really only saw him in the championship game.

Of all the linemen though I don't think Mangold makes it out of the 1st. He's the only true blue-chipper at the pivot point and really helped his stock over the last few weeks. I'd love to see us get him. If Jean-Giles can keep from eating himself out of the league, he may be a Bennie Anderson-type who can actually move.

I really think we have to start upgrading linebackers and getting at least a true backup strong safety this year.

Tackles

Eric Winston OT from Miami

Jonathon Scott OT from Texas

Daryn Colledge OT from Boise State

Guards

Max Jean-Giles OG from Georgia

Charles Spencer OG from Pitt.

C

Nick Mangold C from Ohio State

LB

D'Qwell Jackson MLB from Maryland

Safeties

Darnell Bing S from USC

590096[/snapback]

I am surpised that nobody wants Mercedes Lewis in their picks so far......

We BADLY need a Tight End and Mercedes is a quality one

590156[/snapback]

Being a UCLA fan I've watched Lewis plenty. While he is a fantastic receiving TE the guy is a liability in the run game. He'll get pro-bowl apparences based on his catch totals but I'm not sure he'll ever be the complete package. I'm willing to see what Everett can do for us this year instead of drafting a TE with a high pick.

We are in the catbird seat with our pick with Cutler and the RB from Memphis projected to go the next two slots. We are a very logical slot for someone to trade up. Unfortunately, Miami makes the most sense to go after Cutler, but teams like Cleveland, Minnesota or Jacksonville may want to take a stab at Williams. If we aren't in love with someone at #8, get out if those two guys are still there.

Jean-Gilles is a MONSTER.

590108[/snapback]

Yep, he sure is. I live about 45 mins from UGA and I saw just about all their games this year. The guy is a stud.

Yep, he sure is. I live about 45 mins from UGA and I saw just about all their games this year. The guy is a stud.

590326[/snapback]

Is he a stud because of his overall size allows him to dominate in college or is it his skill? To me the best OG prospect in the draft is Davin Joseph of Oklahoma.

Is he a stud because of his overall size allows him to dominate in college or is it his skill? To me the best OG prospect in the draft is Davin Joseph of Oklahoma.

590334[/snapback]

That's a good question. I just know that UGA has a couple of really talented YOUNG RBs (their names escape me, but one of them reminds me of a faster Thurman Thomas w/out the hands) and Jean-Gilles was a big reason why they had success up the middle. These backs are NOT bruisers; they're speed guys, but they do have some good drive in their legs. But no way do they have as much success as they did w/out this guy on the line.

Watch the Senior Bowl. Jean-Gilles was #1, Joseph #2 of all the guards. Their only negative about JEan-Gilles had to do with his lack of a --ahem--sculpted body. But now that we've gotten rid of our trainer, his rookie replacement will sculpt him.

Weird.  I've been projecting Huff to go this early for a while and got some flack for it.

590250[/snapback]

I probably gave you that slack. While I like Huff, I've never seen him projected to go this high (even by Mel). He basically flipped Huff and Jimmy Williams here. I've only seen each a couple off times, but, I thought (and still think, until I hear reasons that convince me otherwise) tht J Williams is a better bet as we KNOW he can flat out play corner ...and he has good size.

We know Huff can kick ass at Safety and think he can play corner. To me, that's a big difference.

Now, if Williams really is a bad seed...well, there you have it.

I'm getting kind of tired of everyone always comparing every huge guard to Bernie Anderson. Bernie Anderson wasn't drafted for a reason, he is way too slow and has bad technique. The only similarity between Jean-Gilles and Bernie Anderson is that they're both 350 pounds. The similarities stop after that. If we do trade down a couple slots and pick up an extra 2nd rounder, I would love to get Michael Huff.

I probably gave you that slack.  While I like Huff, I've never seen him projected to go this high (even by Mel).  He basically flipped Huff and Jimmy Williams here.  I've only seen each a couple off times, but, I thought (and still think, until I hear reasons that convince me otherwise) tht J Williams is a better bet as we KNOW he can flat out play corner ...and he has good size.

We know Huff can kick ass at Safety and think he can play corner.  To me, that's a big difference.

Now, if Williams really is a bad seed...well, there you have it.

590370[/snapback]

He is truly a headcase.

You know, I didn't watch a lot of college football this past season but I did watch the Texas/USC championship game.

Of what I had read and heard about before, there was a Texas DT (don't remember his name) that was supposed to be a stud. When I watched the game, several times I saw USC's Taitusi Lutui pushing that DT 5 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage. He looked pretty good.

The 8th pick is definitely too high for him but if he somehow slipped to the 2nd round for the Bills, I'd think they'd want to seriously consider him.