The Bates money offer

From the Buffalo News:

"The Bills also considered Baltimore secondary coach Johnnie Lynn and former Green Bay coordinator Jim Bates to be their defensive chief. The Bills reportedly were offering former Green Bay coordinator Jim Bates roughly $850,000 a year. That would have been a bit more than Bates was making in Green Bay, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. According to a source close to Bates, it would have taken a more substantial offer from the Bills to attract him to the position. "

-So now we now the salary was competitive. I think the guy has overestimated his value. As of now I don't think he's got a new job.............

From the Buffalo News:

"The Bills also considered Baltimore secondary coach Johnnie Lynn and former Green Bay coordinator Jim Bates to be their defensive chief. The Bills reportedly were offering former Green Bay coordinator Jim Bates roughly $850,000 a year. That would have been a bit more than Bates was making in Green Bay, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. According to a source close to Bates, it would have taken a more substantial offer from the Bills to attract him to the position. "

-So now we now the salary was competitive.  I think the guy has underestimated his value.  As of now I don't think he's got a new job.............

589355[/snapback]

If so, he should have counteroffered to be the Bills' DC for 750K... :D

Why did the Bills even bother with an offer? It was widely reported that the Rams offered him nearly a million bucks, and he turned that one down, saying the offer was too low.

All that said, I am happy with the man the Bills ended up with.

Why did the Bills even bother with an offer? It was widely reported that the Rams offered him nearly a million bucks, and he turned that one down, saying the offer was too low.

589372[/snapback]

A lot plays into a decision besides money, especially if the offers are close. He could have turned the rams down for a number of reasons that were not salary related. The Bills threw their hat in the ring with no down side, however, it looks like money was the bottom line for Bates.

The bottom line is that Bates would rather do nothing for two years and make $800,000+ from Green Bay, than work as a DC and make that same money.  Although that's lazy, I can't say I blame him.

589482[/snapback]

I think its 50-50 he's an interim HC by the end of the 2006 season. It's a risk, but he could be a hot commodity later in the year when some disgruntled owner is looking for a credible hire to stop the bleeding on some team (assuming Bob McNair doens't get his way and sign him before the season starts :lol: ).

I think its 50-50 he's an interim HC by the end of the 2006 season.  It's a risk, but he could be a hot commodity later in the year when some disgruntled owner is looking for a credible hire to stop the bleeding on some team (assuming Bob McNair doens't get his way and sign him before the season starts  :lol: ).

589504[/snapback]

I think it's rare for someone to hire an interim head coach who is not already working for the team. I can't think of any examples where that has happened--can you?

I think it's rare for someone to hire an interim head coach who is not already working for the team.  I can't think of any examples where that has happened--can you?

589520[/snapback]

Plus he's 60. I think he is done with coaching at this point...

It's probably for the best. If he was angling for a HC job this year, and settled for a DC job with the Bills, chances are he'd only be here one year anyway. I think he's only screwing himself. Next year he'll be 61 going on 62 and a year out of pro football. I'm not saying that's too old, but the trend seems to be to get younger guys.

From the Buffalo News:

-So now we now the salary was competitive.  I think the guy has overestimated his value.  As of now I don't think he's got a new job.............

589355[/snapback]

When you consider that it has been estimated that Jauron is getting betweeh 1.5 million and 1.8 million as HC, and the upper end of the HC's in the NFL are in the 3 million dollar range, I am not sure how you can come to the conclusion that money was not the issue. Bates obviously wants to be a HC, but it would have taken an offer considerably more to get him to come to Buffalo (likely not the most attractive situation for anyone with experience) than what our owner was offering. Couple that with the fact that Bates has an impressive reusume, and has been around a while, he likely would not have been thrilled to come in and serve under a coach that has ideas of his own, about how a defense is supposed to be run....