Thank God Levy's doing the hiring not US

Joe Fergy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferentz has actually coached in the NFL, unlike Spurrier before Snyder hired him. Plus, his success at a non-glamour school speaks well of his program.

587648[/snapback]

Offensive Line, but of course since he coached under Belichick, that makes him an automatic winner, right? At least Saban was a coordinator at the NFL level...You seemed to fail to mention Carroll...or is it that because Carroll's first foray into NFL coaching was with the Bills that meant he'd never amount to anything in the NFL...?

Offensive Line, but of course since he coached under Belichick, that makes him an automatic winner, right?  At least Saban was a coordinator at the NFL level...You seemed to fail to mention Carroll...or is it that because Carroll's first foray into NFL coaching was with the Bills that meant he'd never amount to anything in the NFL...?

587691[/snapback]

I don't believe anyone giving an honest opinion has stated that KF is an automatic anything. The fact that he DID coach with him is a plus. I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way. The guy is known for his game prep. Having 1st hand experience with that is valuable.

As far as Carroll goes, I'm not sure what you want me to say. I don't see many people clamoring for him, so I'm not sure why you mentioned him. If you could explain your last comment - that would help. I don't know what you mean by it.

Polian will defend anything Marv does to the death, his opinion is THE LAST you should trust.  That's his style.  Polian's excellence in personnel is matched or exceeded by his combative nature with regard to anyone who questions his moves or the performance of HIS guys.  With Polian, the media questioning the Bills going with a 260 lb. 3-4 NT, a short , slow, concussion-prone free safety and a kicker with no range past 35 yards were all grounds for sticking with thoe guys(and opponents abusing those weaknesses in the Super Bowl).  It's a big reason that despite winning a lot,  he has had teams most characterized by coming up short.

587248[/snapback]

This is exactly the samer point I made as few weeks back about Polian. But I trust him here..hes not "protecting" anyone, really with these comments.

I don't believe anyone giving an honest opinion has stated that KF is an automatic anything. The fact that he DID coach with him is a plus.  I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way.  The guy is known for his game prep.  Having 1st hand experience with that is valuable.

As far as Carroll goes, I'm not sure what you want me to say.  I don't see many people clamoring for him, so I'm not sure why you mentioned him.  If you could explain your last comment - that would help. I don't know what you mean by it.

587752[/snapback]

How many NFL head coach interviews did Ferentz get? I mean nearly half the NFL had a coaching change, why didn't I hear more about him interviewing if he was an ideal candidate?

My point was that being a successful college head coach does not necessarily predicate success as an NFL head coach. That, "because Saban is doing well in Miami," it means that X Coach will also do well here. There are always indicators and counter-indicators WRT coaching situations, regardless of the background, but it all gets back down to the same thing as with the players: "I've heard of him, he must be good." And of course, if we don't get the guy, it just becomes a "I told ya we should have got X" if things don't work out. That's all well and good, but there's no such thing as an automatic winning solution, neither are the decisions made so far automatically going to plunge us into 3 0-16 seasons in a row.

Like I said before, maybe I cut my vacation too short....

I am not sure what to make about Polian's comments. He basically said that our new head coach is no Jim Mora, Sr.

587228[/snapback]

Jauron had no prior head coaching experience back when Polian was hiring, Mora Sr. did. You think that may have had something to do with it?

Polian on Jauron

I believe what Polian thinks way more then us boneheads, I wanted Sherman too. The more I read the better I  feel, Thank's Marv for NOT listening to the fans..........

587219[/snapback]

Can you point out one time where a GM said about another team's hire, boy, they really screwed that pooch on that decision. That guy sure sucks.

What's he supposed to say?

Can you point out one time where a GM said about another team's hire, boy, they really screwed that pooch on that decision.  That guy sure sucks. 

What's he supposed to say?

587906[/snapback]

Nothing. I don't recall anywhere where he was specifically asked by the press what he thought of the hiring of Jauron, he came out and said it.

I imagine then you'll also say that he made up the fact that he interviewed and considered Jauron for the head coaching job at Indy, and that "confidants" that were quoted in various news stories lied about him looking at Jauron as a possible successor to Levy.

Yeah, it's clear that he thinks Jauron will stink and that he's just trying to make Levy look good.... :angry:

Who is out there this year that fits that criteria?

587475[/snapback]

You are right, there aren't any unemployed coaches out there that have won a Super Bowl in the last 5 years are there? Or built a dynasty at the expense of the Bills? Nobody who coached under Belichick in the pros and is the best NFL HC candidate in the college ranks? Remember, when the Bucs began pursuing Gruden, he wasn't available. When the Cowboys went after Parcells he was supposed to be retired for good. Hell, I remember when there was no way, no how, EVER that Joe Gibbs would ever leave NASCAR for the NFL again. Those owners made it happen.