Correction

KFFL reported...

Raiders | Martz has strong interview; Davis blown away

Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:40:16 -0800

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports ESPN's John Clayton said Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis was "blown away" by former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz during his interview for the Raiders' vacancy at head coach Thursday, Jan. 26.

But later corrected it. It should read...

Raiders | Martz does not have strong interview; Davis blown anyway

Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:40:16 -0800

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports ESPN's John Clayton said Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis was "blown anyway" by former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz after his lousy interview for the Raiders' vacancy at head coach Thursday, Jan. 26.

you do have to wonder why these so called "good" coaches, like martz and sherman are still out there.  Kinda makes you wonder if levy and ralph were as "stupid" as some of us thought they were.

586597[/snapback]

I've been wondering the same thing. If Mike Sherman is so great, why have 9 teams passed on him for a HC job. He's onyl been interviewed for 2 jobs as well. What else is going on with him.

I've been wondering the same thing. If Mike Sherman is so great, why have 9 teams passed on him for a HC job. He's onyl been interviewed for 2 jobs as well. What else is going on with him.

586600[/snapback]

There has to be more behind the scenes stuff with the guy... I mean, favre or not, the guy put together a very impressive record with green bay. One terrible year later, and the guy is fired and turned down by the only team he interviewed with for a former loser coach. Makes you wonder if the grass truly is greener. Sherman's 2005 season can be paralleled with levy's 94 season, where both teams sucked after great runs (levy's accomplishments being much better than shermans, but the point remains). Now, imagine if levy had been fired after that one 5-11 season... We'd ALL conclude that he did something very bad to get fired. You know, if marv passed on sherman for a guy with the "credientials" as jauron, maybe we're all luckier for that.

Bernie M's article says nothing about Martz's interview being lousy.

"ESPN's John Clayton said Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis was "blown away" by former Rams coach Mike Martz in Thursday's interview for the head-coaching job. If Martz gets it, imagine this fun: The Rams play at Oakland next season."

Article

Bernie M's article says nothing about Martz's interview being lousy.

"ESPN's John Clayton said Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis was "blown away" by former Rams coach Mike Martz in Thursday's interview for the head-coaching job. If Martz gets it, imagine this fun: The Rams play at Oakland next season."

Article

586623[/snapback]

It was a joke, sailor. :doh:

586600[/snapback]

Me too. I also wonder about things like that everytime I read a post commiserating that we didn't get Bates, Caldwell, et al.

We as fans really know so little about these guys -- their style of management, their teaching technique, etc -- that I think we look at the performance of a coach's team/unit/position (if he's a position coach) and jump to a conclusion about whether he sucks or is Lombardi incarnate.

The dude's personality and his strengths versus the weaker areas of other members of the staff and vice-versa, gets overlooked. And truthfully, righly so. How would we as fans have a clue what they're like in dealing with players, peers, or team management? I don't think that it can emphasized too much that they have to get along and mesh as people before they can gel as a coaching staff.

One thing I firmly believe is that 99.99% of NFL coaches (head coach, coordinators, and/or position coaches) are light years better than the best coach any of us ever had playing any sport. If a guy's a good fit, personality-wise, he'll do just fine. At first blush they may not all appear to be stellar coaches because you can't make chicken soup from chicken poop, if you don't have the players you're likely not going to have much success. I have full faith that anyone the Bills bring in knows football. and then it'll be up to the players to do their job: listen, learn, and perform.

Me too.  I also wonder about things like that everytime I read a post commiserating that we didn't get Bates, Caldwell, et al.

We as fans really know so little about these guys -- their style of management, their teaching technique, etc -- that I think we look at the performance of a coach's team/unit/position (if he's a position coach) and jump to a conclusion about whether he sucks or is Lombardi incarnate.

The dude's personality and his strengths versus the weaker areas of other members of the staff and vice-versa, gets overlooked.  And truthfully, righly so.  How would we  as fans have a clue what they're like in dealing with players, peers, or team management?  I don't think that it can emphasized too much that they have to get along and mesh as people before they can gel as a coaching staff. 

One thing I firmly believe is that 99.99% of NFL coaches (head coach, coordinators, and/or position coaches) are light years better than the best coach any of us ever had playing any sport.  If a guy's a good fit, personality-wise, he'll do just fine. At first blush they may not all appear to be stellar coaches because you can't make chicken soup from chicken poop, if you don't have the players you're likely not going to have much success.  I have full faith that anyone the Bills bring in knows football. and then it'll be up to the players to do their job: listen, learn, and perform.

586678[/snapback]

Exactly. I'd rather have a guy who fits our idea of where this team wants to go. If i'm going to the dentist, i dont want a top neurosurgeon filling a cavity.

I remember i wanted jauron over mularkey 2 years ago, so i'm going to wait and see what he does with team and the direction it takes.

Also, there has to be input among owners and the higher ups in the league. If you get a new job, they want to know what your old boss thought of you, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Perhaps Sherman didnt get a glowing recommendation, but we'll never know.

586600[/snapback]

Maybe it's that business where Mike Sherman takes no input from anyone else. He locked the scouts out of the war room on draft day.

Not a team player - do you want this guy running the show?

It was a joke, sailor.  :doh:

586625[/snapback]

Between some of the responses to this and some of those to LA's "Father" thread on the OTW board, you gotta wonder if people even bother to read the initial post. :doh:

And, then (this is the really sad part), you realize they HAVE read it. :doh:

Rd 01 -- OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson (Virginia)

Rd 02 -- DT Gabe Watson (Michigan)

Rd 03 -- OG Charles Spencer (Pittsburgh)

Rd 03 -- CB Cedric Griffin (Texas)

587046[/snapback]

Looking at your sig...

Will other teams be drafting, or just the Bills?

586600[/snapback]

Most recently, Sherman knocked the socks off Gary Kubiak. Kubiak offered to make him an assistance HC and o-line coach.

I'm pretty sure this is from KFFL.

There has to be more behind the scenes stuff with the guy...  I mean, favre or not, the guy put together a very impressive record with green bay.  One terrible year later, and the guy is fired and turned down by the only team he interviewed with for a former loser coach.  Makes you wonder if the grass truly is greener.  Sherman's 2005 season can be paralleled with levy's 94 season, where both teams sucked after great runs (levy's accomplishments being much better than shermans, but the point remains).  Now, imagine if levy had been fired after that one 5-11 season...  We'd ALL conclude that he did something very bad to get fired.  You know, if marv passed on sherman for a guy with the "credientials" as jauron, maybe we're all luckier for that.

586606[/snapback]

Weren't the Bills 7-9 that year? I believe they were 7-7 going into the last two games and if they had won the last two games then they would have made the playoffs. I believe Kelly went down going into those last two and Reich was unable to lead the team very far.

Wow, Bob McNair is willing to do what Ralph wouldn't and pay Sherman $3M a year just to coach the O-line and be AHC? :blink:

587464[/snapback]

WOW! Maybe he could buy Kubiak some new socks, too.