No Cotrell, Henderson, or Singeltary?!

This is pretty dumb if you ask me.

I was stoked that we offered the job to Bates. But when he rejected it, I was sure we were going to go after Donnie Henderson or Ted Cotrell.

But Johnnie Lynn and Perry Fewell?

Mike Singeltary may not want to leave San Fran. But after watching him coach in the Senior Bowl, a lot of people seem to think he has HC potential. Not to mention the respect he would obviously have from our players. Why not interview him?

Henderson and Cotrell are widely respected, skilled, and available with experience. And contrary to popular belief, Cotrell didn't screw up in New York and Minnesota. As a matter of fact, he turned the Vikes D around. They were much worse before he arrived.

Steve Fairchild is acceptable. Dick Jauron is acceptable. But I want a DC that everyone has faith in. Not some reject DB's coach.

I think the real DC is Jauron regardless of who we hire. He probably doesn't need or really want to bring in somebody with a system of their own that may cause tension between his vision and their own.

The important hire was Fairchild.

This is pretty dumb if you ask me.

I was stoked that we offered the job to Bates. But when he rejected it, I was sure we were going to go after Donnie Henderson or Ted Cotrell.

But Johnnie Lynn and Perry Fewell?

Mike Singeltary may not want to leave San Fran. But after watching him coach in the Senior Bowl, a lot of people seem to think he has HC potential. Not to mention the respect he would obviously have from our players. Why not interview him?

Henderson and Cotrell are widely respected, skilled, and available with experience. And contrary to popular belief, Cotrell didn't screw up in New York and Minnesota. As a matter of fact, he turned the Vikes D around. They were much worse before he arrived.

Steve Fairchild is acceptable. Dick Jauron is acceptable. But I want a DC that everyone has faith in. Not some reject DB's coach.

586554[/snapback]

Singeltary has the title of Assistant head coach, and I believe SF can deny other teams from interviewing him. The Chicago bears did the same kind of thing with their LB coach, thus Jauron was denied permission to interview him for DC spot.

I think the real DC is Jauron regardless of who we hire.  He probably doesn't need or really want to bring in somebody with a system of their own that may cause tension between his vision and their own. 

The important hire was Fairchild.

586561[/snapback]

Right on target I think. Jauron has a rep from all I have heard which is much like GW ( functionally that is and ignoring the accumualation of list which blew TD away) when came to Buffalo- great on defense but needing some help on offebse.

Its a precious co-ordinator job so I actually don't think that a lot of folks will reject it if offered even if Buffalo does not strike them as the perfect location or set-up (some will if their kids are committed to a particular school where they are, but most coaches and their wives have already chosen the coaching career track and thus are committed that at some or a couple of points in time they are gonna move to some burg for a few years that is not perfect).

Overall, while I do not think folks will reject Buffalo if it is one of the few co-ordinator jobs open, if men have a choice (go to Buffalo or stay in sunny dot.com SF for example we may lose out if the candidates have a choice).

My sense is that Jauron and the Bills are still operating in an employers market where there are only 32 DC jobs in the world for the several dozen guys qualified. I think this means that rather than the Bills being forced to take a particular candidate because the desperately need someone with a particular skillset and level of talent, as far as a DC goes Jauron is looking for a particular type and likely will have several options to choose from to find a guy whom Marv, Ralph and Modrak are enthused about and he is in.

As far as a DC, it appears Jauron is looking for a guy who will run his D and learn and master his way of running a D so he can teach it well to the players and do game calls well on gameday.

I don't think Jauron needs and likely does not want someone with aspirations for making his name in Buffalo running his D.

Bates was a good choice as this former interim HC has a rep as a smart D guy and a good teacher who has no overwhelming need to prove himself worthy as a potential HC candidate because he got good reviews for his brief term trying to hold together the Fins ship of state after Wanny got canned. He was no where near as postentially good as Saban whom MI eventually got, but he is a candidate for HC jobs the next time around or for plum DC jobs. Further, he is under little logistical pressure to take a particular job as he is still under contract to GB.

As a choice instead of Bates, it would not surprise me at all if Jauron chose a guy whom he thinks is bright who can learn and teach his way on D. Further, he is probably making a calculation as to what his coaching staff (much of which he inherited is missing and looking to fill that out with the hire.

My guess is that in the real world looking at the Bills coaching staff and his team that there are several areas Jauron may be looking to supplement the skillsets and background of his position coaches. The guys he has on his staff now appear to be older men so he may want a younger guy who can relate to the boys he must turn into men. There are only a couple of position coaches of A-A descent in this group and though many folks focus on this issue only through the prism of ideology, for those who live in the real world also he probably wants to get the proper role model of A-A descent as a majority of the players will likely be of A-A descent. It would not surprise me if he will not be a slave to but would certainly benefits from the staff having some regional diversity. We all share the same TV so that there is some regional exposure for all (though TV is a fake world which presents many things as stereotypes) but if he perceives that there is a disconnect between the regions the team comes from and the regions the position coaches he has come from he may be inclined to pick a coach to fill out his squad that makes it the best team for managing the TEAM rather than simply picking and choosing individuals based on their football skills.

We'll see.

You neglect the possibility of how many coaches hang up the phone when they hear "...Hi, this is Dick Jauron fron the Buff..."click!"....(dialtone)....)

586608[/snapback]

I would expect that to be just the opposite. Coaches are a particularly breed. Most of them have a lot of similar personality traits. I would expect other coaches to really admire and like Jauron a lot. Respect is a huge thing to NFL players, probably second only to money, IMO. Players and coaches like to be treated with respect. Now, I can imagine a lot of coaches ultimately deciding not to want to join the Bills right now under all the chaos, or not liking the money offered, but I would really doubt if any coach didn't want to speak with or work with Dick Jauron.

Singeltary has the title of Assistant head coach, and I believe SF can deny other teams from interviewing him.  The Chicago bears did the same kind of thing with their LB coach, thus Jauron was denied permission to interview him for DC spot.

586562[/snapback]

Then it's time Marv gave Bobby April that title too.

Although Singletary was a fantastic player, he's only coached for three years - two as an assistant positional coach at Bal'more. That's not a lot to base being a DC on when you're travelling into a new town and need to bring your own Defensive philosophy. He would be worth a gamble though.

He should spend two years as a DC and then we can hire him as our HC when we're ready to kick Jauron out of town. :doh:

I think you are right. Many posters seem to lay out a description of NFL coaches and their desires (or owners and their desires) which I think are actually based n their desire as fans to first and foremost get Ws, when though this is the first thing most folks on the team are thinking about and working toward, there are simply other factors which make a differene in their actions and reactions about jobs.

My sense is that most coaches live in the real world, and that the real world of being an NFL coach is certainly about winning, the individuals real world is also about being part of a team, having a good experience (in addition to winning because if you get the W's even a bad experience can become a lot better), making big bucks, and probably most of all taking care of and being part of their family.

There simply are too few prime jobs in the NFL for most folks to be an idiot and generate backtalk about themselves on the NFL rumor wire that they are rude people or difficult to deal with.

While this is not fatal (jerks like Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka got multiple shots at being an HC) these fellows had proven chops as important parts of SB winners. Nothing can get folks to overlook the fact you are a jerk like winning the big one.

However, in the end, most people just will not crap where they eat and treating someone with disdain or rudely (even if they deserve it is simply not a job seeking strategy which succeeds in most cases.

I would expect that to be just the opposite. Coaches are a particularly breed. Most of them have a lot of similar personality traits. I would expect other coaches to really admire and like Jauron a lot. Respect is a huge thing to NFL players, probably second only to money, IMO. Players and coaches like to be treated with respect. Now, I can imagine a lot of coaches ultimately deciding not to want to join the Bills right now under all the chaos, or not liking the money offered, but I would really doubt if any coach didn't want to speak with or work with Dick Jauron.

586615[/snapback]

Yep. Today's coaching star can be tomorrow's chump and all of these guys (well, maybe not Martz) know it. I doubt many guys are avoiding Dick. RW and Bills, right now, appears to be another story.

Now, I can imagine a lot of coaches ultimately deciding not to want to join the Bills right now under all the chaos, or not liking the money offered, but I would really doubt if any coach didn't want to speak with or work with Dick Jauron.

586615[/snapback]

I was referring to the state of the franchise more than hanging up on Dick the coach.

PTR