JP Losman deserves better

1billsfan

Yeah, because Drew Brees was AWESOME those first 3 years.  :)

You're truly amazing.  You'll go to any length to criticize JP.  Look, his record and stats are what they are -- the record of a rookie.  If the coaches think he shows no / not enough improvement in camp to win the job, fine.  But giving the job to anyone outright at this point is ludicrous.  No one's job should be safe.  And that should be a motivating factor for EVERYONE.

583174[/snapback]

Well, that post was more about an agenda than anything, but creating a great QB does not fit Jauron's MO. He's more the play with what you got type. I feel the only way JP gets a real shot is if a Caldwell-type OC comes in, with a history of working with pass-heavy offenses. Having said that, I also don't see Caldwell as the Jauron-type, either.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that post was more about an agenda than anything, but creating a great QB does not fit Jauron's MO.  He's more the play with what you got type.  I feel the only way JP gets a real shot is if a Caldwell-type OC comes in, with a history of working with pass-heavy offenses.  Having said that, I also don't see Caldwell as the Jauron-type, either.

583195[/snapback]

How in the world do you know enough about Dick Jauron to know his "type" of coach? Because of the coordinators he hired in his first and only previous HC position? That's hardly enough upon which to base a conclusion that somebody is not his "type."

Man, we're quick to jump to conclusions about people around here.

Well, that post was more about an agenda than anything, but creating a great QB does not fit Jauron's MO.  He's more the play with what you got type.  I feel the only way JP gets a real shot is if a Caldwell-type OC comes in, with a history of working with pass-heavy offenses.  Having said that, I also don't see Caldwell as the Jauron-type, either.

583195[/snapback]

I would be very happy with bringing on Caldwell or moving Wyche up to run the offense.

You're right about Jauron's history, and it pretty much shows that he has leaned much more toward the journeyman (Miller, Matthews, Stewart) than towards the young guy (Grossman). Philosophies can change, and I'm pretty certain he'll have better personnel here than with the Bears. We'll see.

How in the world do you know enough about Dick Jauron to know his "type" of coach?  Because of the coordinators he hired in his first and only previous HC position?  That's hardly enough upon which to base a conclusion that somebody is not his "type."

Man, we're quick to jump to conclusions about people around here.

583201[/snapback]

Would you rather I just breath out of my mouth and make 100+ posts about how bad he sucks, the that the team is going to move? I thought I was being rational, sorry.

I would be very happy with bringing on Caldwell or moving Wyche up to run the offense.

You're right about Jauron's history, and it pretty much shows that he has leaned much more toward the journeyman (Miller, Matthews, Stewart) than towards the young guy (Grossman).  Philosophies can change, and I'm pretty certain he'll have better personnel here than with the Bears.  We'll see.

583204[/snapback]

That's the thing, it sounds like he had some bad coordinators there, so he could very well bring in someone different, who runs the game more flashy. I'm just saying it seems against the history for Jauron to bring in someone like Caldwell.

What also would be odd would be for Jauron to bring in someone line Heimerdinger, who, allegedly, is an "ass" who alienates his players. I could be wrong about this, but since Jauron is the type that apparently players want to play for, bringing in someone like Heimerdinger, who players apparently do not want to play for, seems contradictory.

Would you rather I just breath out of my mouth and make 100+ posts about how bad he sucks, the that the team is going to move? I thought I was being rational, sorry.

583205[/snapback]

No, the problem is that you combine a rational thought (thinking about the type of coach under which JP could develop) with an irrational one (Jauron is not known for developing QBs). Has anyone else developed the QBs Jauron had in Chicago?

Leave out the stuff about what sort of coach is Jauron's "type" -- something none of us really know anything about -- and you make a good point.

I think he's on the learning curve and expect him to be much better next year. I don't understand for the life of me why we didn't play him the last two games. If he doesn't establish himself next year we will have to get someone else, but the dumbest ...DUMBEST...thing we could do this year would be to give up our first and or second draft choice for another quarterback. I don't think we should draft and keep Jay Cutler (this year's JP) if available although drafting him and trading him may be an option. I say let Losman develop and I think he will be our quarterback of the future. If not...dump him after next season.

No, the problem is that you combine a rational thought (thinking about the type of coach under which JP could develop) with an irrational one (Jauron is not known for developing QBs).  Has anyone else developed the QBs Jauron had in Chicago?

Leave out the stuff about what sort of coach is Jauron's "type" -- something none of us really know anything about -- and you make a good point.

583211[/snapback]

I think a person's view of history is very much on the table as something you can use to make a point.

Absolutely, imagine your current job. You show up to work and the boss says, "I'm making you the new manager, I know you have no experience in this setting but don't worry, our front office will protect you and our warehouse is the best in the industry, they can bail you out. And you'll get the experience on the job, no one is expecting you to be manager of the year."

Fast forward 4 weeks, the front office has all but quit and your warehouse isn't nearly what it was a year ago...

Boss: "Yeah, you're not really cutting it like I thought you would. I know I said I wasn't expecting much but I've decided to hire a manager with experience. Sure he's never managed that well but you know I'm not going to take the wrap for this."

Now would you like to be in this position?

582289[/snapback]

Yea we really screwed up this kids head and now were gonna pay the price with another year of crap and no success. :)

Absolutely, imagine your current job. You show up to work and the boss says, "I'm making you the new manager, I know you have no experience in this setting but don't worry, our front office will protect you and our warehouse is the best in the industry, they can bail you out. And you'll get the experience on the job, no one is expecting you to be manager of the year."

Fast forward 4 weeks, the front office has all but quit and your warehouse isn't nearly what it was a year ago...

Boss: "Yeah, you're not really cutting it like I thought you would. I know I said I wasn't expecting much but I've decided to hire a manager with experience. Sure he's never managed that well but you know I'm not going to take the wrap for this."

Now would you like to be in this position?

582289[/snapback]

Yea we really screwed up this kids head and now were gonna pay the price with another year of crap and no success. :)

583220[/snapback]

That was an excellent anology and i really like the way you put it out there.

Some are also forgetting that this team of 2005 was built to make the playoffs. Players were brought into Buffalo to aid us in our attemp to make a run at the playoffs its not JPs fault that TD made a bad decison in NAMING JP the starter for the upcoming year and then Releasing Bledsoe becuase he didnt want to be a back up to a Kid who didnt beat him out of anything not to mention its the same scenario of RJ and Flutie veteran experince vs a rookie who gives you the best chance to win-the Veteran everytime hands down according to the veterans.

However, to sit there and write of a kid who shows the exterme talent he does because hes only played in 9 games trying to fill the shoes of a HALL OF FAME QB that was just released is ignorant. History has shown that all qbs take 2-3 years to progress unless all the peices are already in place-IE PITT, NE, NYG

We thought our peices were in place- but our Defense just blew way too much last season we had a rb who was inconsitant at best with no back up threat and no pass cathcing TE to speak of and a Line that couldnt protect the best qb in the sport.

I read some one wants steve mcnair- did anyone look at his record his first 3 years or his completion percentage- why dont we give this kid an opprotunity to put in a 16 game season is beyond me.

But i will say that if the goal is win now, lets get an experienced QB not holcomb, sign him for 2-3 years and let JP develop as a backup gaining trust of his players knowing that if he steps in (like KC) they could still win the game. BUt let thi kid earn the respect of his teammates first. He will not be starting next year I belive that sincerly.

I'm embarrassed at how many fans here have already given up on this kid. Post after post I read how it's Kelly Holcombs job or another journeymen veteran's yet to be acquired. Kelly Holcomb sucks, he's had 10 years in this league to put it all together and he finishes with 4 turnovers against the Jets to close out our miserable season. I have no doubts that Losman will surpass Holcomb in training camp. What I find amazing is the amount of weak-kneed hand wringers here who can't stomach the development of a young QB. Y'all must be from the Mike Malarkey School of QB Handling. Suck it up and deal with it, this team is not going to the Superbowl next season. I know it may come as a shock to some of you but it had to be put out there. None of us know if JP Losman is the next Brett Favre/Matt Hasselback or if he's a genuine first round flop. However with that said, the last thing this team should do right now is to not give him the chance next season. Fans and players need to put down their Superbowl pipe dreams for the coming season and get behind Losman. This kid has talent and skills, before we see him in the playoffs in another team's uniform for the next 10 seasons the Bills organization needs to give him the chance in 2006 to show he's the man.

581960[/snapback]

It sounds like we are only willing to give a young QB one year to prove himeself. Find me one QB that produced after one year.

It sounds like we are only willing to give a young QB one year to prove himeself.  Find me one QB that produced after one year.

583893[/snapback]

I think the reason that some people are down on him is not because he didn't kick butt from the get-go, but because he regressed and looked more and more absolutely dreadful with every game.

I think the reason that some people are down on him is not because he didn't kick butt from the get-go, but because he regressed and looked more and more absolutely dreadful with every game.

583896[/snapback]

The whole team regressed and looked more and more absolutely dreadful with every game, not just JP.

Kid needs a chance with an effective O-Line, which will give the running game new life and make teams respect our Offense.

Doesn't hurt that we just hired the O-Coordinator from the Rams. Their offense is pretty good these days.

You (the fans) simply can't have it both ways.  If the Bills decide to start JP all 16 games next year (and "develop him") they probably will go 5-11 again...maybe 6-10 if he really matures.  That's not good enough for the WIN NOW NFL.  You (the fans) will ask for Jauron's head on a platter, you will ask for Levy's resignation, etc...

How about the 2006 Buffalo Bills just play the very best players at each position that they can find.  If it's JP then I'm going to be behind him 100%. If it's not then I'm not going to sit here and fret about his development because i want to win NOW.

582058[/snapback]

Do you realize what you just posted?

You are telling us that at BEST, the Bills will be 6-10 with JP at QB. You are also implying that we should not "fret."

My fellow Bills fan, the Bills have some talented players and plenty of cap room for possible FAs, perhaps an astonishing amount if some crusty, past their prime players are cut. The Bills pick 8th in the draft and have an extra early 3rd.

My point is that I am not resigned to the fact that the Bills MUST suck next year. JP, poor OL notwithstanding, has proven nothing, and we paid a hefty ransom to bring him here in terms of draft choices.

TD handed the job to Losman as if he deserved it. He didn't. He was a dreadful qb, and imo he needs to earn the job this season, if he is even up to the task.

If not, he can continue to run around the sidelines giving high fives, with his hair flopping in the breeze.

Either way, I am thinking that if the best he can do is 6-10, who needs him?