Wow MM is a whining bitch

VABills

I'll bet a Krispy Kreme that he'll land an OC position for '06 that will pay him at least what he was making as HC, and will be a candidate for HC spots after '07.

573192[/snapback]

I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. Teams are a reflection of their HC, and Mularkey was not tough enough to be a HC in the NFL. I mean, this was a guy who was blaming the bounce of the ball for a failed season that was defined by the team playing worse as the game wore on. Mularkey has a glass jaw as a leader and so did his team. He will not be a head coach in the NFL again, and will be lucky to ever be anything more than a decent coordinator again, and I'll be surprised if he gets a OC job right away.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually want peanut donuts from Dunkin Donuts if thats okay with you.  I'm not a big fan of KK.

573206[/snapback]

fatty

implied quotes.........? did he say what youre quoting him as saying or are you misquoting him for some sort of sick humor

I don't know their source, but it sounds more probable than inprobable. I think Mularkey did the right thing in quitting. I have my "deep, deep" source in the Bills organization, who, for years, has made it clear that TD was a micro-manager, on all levels. I know that Mularkey was less than thrilled with some of the personel moves made along the way, most of them, financially motivated. It was getting rid of Bledsoe that (from what I heard) was the first real disagreement between MM and TD. MM liked Losman, but didn't think he was near ready to be handed a starting NFL job. MM wanted to give Losman a fair chance to beat Bledsoe out, but TD saw the salary cap $ that could be saved...MM had to be sold on the idea. He only went along, because he was assured by TD, that his job wouldn't hang on how well Losman did. When TD was fired, MM lost his safety net...

I don't know their source, but it sounds more probable than inprobable.  I think Mularkey did the right thing in quitting.  I have my "deep, deep" source in the Bills organization, who, for years, has made it clear that TD was a micro-manager, on all levels.  I know that Mularkey was less than thrilled with some of the personel moves made along the way, most of them, financially motivated.  It was getting rid of Bledsoe that (from what I heard) was the first real disagreement between MM and TD.  MM liked Losman, but didn't think he was near ready to be handed a starting NFL job. MM wanted to give Losman a fair chance to beat Bledsoe out, but TD saw the salary cap $ that could be saved...MM had to be sold on the idea.  He only went along, because he was assured by TD, that his job wouldn't hang on how well Losman did.  When TD was fired, MM lost his safety net...

573399[/snapback]

Frankly, that doesn't make any sense to me. There was zero chance that Losman would have been able to beat out Drew in training camp and pre-season. None. No matter how good he was, no matter how good or bad he will be in the future. Why would they even have a competition like that? Tom Brady didn't beat out Drew, Big Ben would not have beaten out Drew in practice and pre-season. Football isn't about practice or pre-season, it's about experience and regular season and big games.

Frankly, that doesn't make any sense to me. There was zero chance that Losman would have been able to beat out Drew in training camp and pre-season. None. No matter how good he was, no matter how good or bad he will be in the future. Why would they even have a competition like that? Tom Brady didn't beat out Drew, Big Ben would not have beaten out Drew in practice and pre-season. Football isn't about practice or pre-season, it's about experience and regular season and big games.

573410[/snapback]

Exactly! Mularkey knew that. He didn't really feel comfortable going into a season with a QB with no experience. TD sold MM on it, much the way he did many here.

Mularkey would have liked to keep Bledsoe around another year, to be sure Losman was ready to assume a starting job, before cutting ties. I am not saying he expected Losman to outperform Bledsoe (although many here thought he could, with one arm tied around his back), but he wanted some assurance that if Losman was not ready, his career was tied to him. Kelly Holcomb was signed to appease Mularkey. Mularkey liked Holcomb.

Many here assumed that if they were making that kind of committment to Losman, they must have believed he had a realistic shot at being successful. TD belived that more than Mularkey did. He only baught what TD was selling, because he was assured he wouldn't be fired if it blew up in their face. One thing neither guy figured on, was that everything would blow up in their face (ie: the defense would not perform at anything close to the level it did the previous two years), and TD would get the ax...as it turned out, the QB sitution was far from the only issue that the 2005 Bills, and their coach, faced.

I'm reaching the same conclusion regarding most everything from that site. They are persistent, though... I'll give 'em that.

573218[/snapback]

I read it once earlier in the season. The name's different, but the "articles" scream Weiler. And that can't be a good thing.

Why that site is getting links from TBD is beyond me. I prefer only legitimate media and team-originated articles getting links. What's next, fans' blogs will be featured? <_<

You've reached a new level of absurdity.  Implied quotes?

I read the same article, and my implied quotes look like this:

" I saw the mess that unfolded in one week, a mandate that 1/2 of my coaching staff be fired, no clear direction of how the team was going to address free agency, and decided to run for the hills."

573184[/snapback]

THis is what I got:

Donahoe screwed MM over because he's a anal-retentive control freak. Mullarkey's lack of say on anything caused his players to turn on him. But all that was okay compared to having Levy and Wilson in charge. <_<

Here's what I think. Mullarkey had no control under Donahoe. When he found out that he would only have partial say under Levy, he threw a hissy fit and quit.

So what is the gist of the article? That Wilson/Levy somehow created this situation? That Mularkey deserved to have more control despite showing nothing to prove he earned it? That Tom Clements was his best buddy, yet he still took away his play-calling duties midday through the season, but was mad when Wilson made him fire him??? ;)0:);)

Mike, I understand Home Depot is hiring. They start at $13 an hour and have a great health plan.

PTR

THis is what I got:

Donahoe screwed MM over because he's a anal-retentive control freak.  Mullarkey's lack of say on anything caused his players to turn on him.  But all that was okay compared to having Levy and Wilson in charge.  <_< 

Here's what I think.  Mullarkey had no control under Donahoe.  When he found out that he would only have partial say under Levy, he threw a hissy fit and quit.

So what is the gist of the article?  That Wilson/Levy somehow created this situation?  That Mularkey deserved to have more control despite showing nothing to prove he earned it?  That Tom Clements was his best buddy, yet he still took away his play-calling duties midday through the season, but was mad when Wilson made him fire him???  ;)  0:)  ;) 

Mike, I understand Home Depot is hiring.  They start at $13 an hour and have a great health plan.

PTR

573562[/snapback]

Makes a lot of sense.

That Tom Clements was his best buddy, yet he still took away his play-calling duties midday through the season, but was mad when Wilson made him fire him???  <_<  ;)  0:) 

PTR

573562[/snapback]

There is some thought that Mularkey took the playcalling duty from Clements, because TD was interfering, on game day, with the play-calling. Clements was getting po'd at TD. Mularkey was growing tired of it, and took the play-calling responsibilities upon himself, on the sidelines.

I think MM hurt himself with the departure more than if he went with staying and even if he would be having another bad season.

Nobody begrudges someone who leaves a sh------- job. But NOBODY likes an employee who quits just because things MIGHT get bad. He lost his coaches, but the new power structure was days old. Not giving it a second to try and work doesnt reflect well on Mularkey.

You may point to Belichick bolting the Jets for NE very quickly to give an example of another coach who did the same thing. But that situation is a bit different, becuase Belichick had a relationship with Bob Kraft and the NE job lined up before he quit on the Jets. MM didnt choose another job. He chose not to work instead of facing a challenge. That reflects really poor on him.

I think it all boils down to Mularkey's performance with what he had. A coach should influence both the folks below him (the players) and those above (GM and Owner.) He didn't do either apparently. He should have resigned at the end of the season rather than fire five of his coaches. He was dead with the Bills at that moment. He would have gone into this season with assistant coaches not trusting him, without the confidence of the owner and GM and having serious problems with the players. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. The part I don't understand was why the Bills put him into this position as opposed to firing him outright with Donohoe.

. MM wanted to give Losman a fair chance to beat Bledsoe out, but TD saw the salary cap $ that could be saved...MM had to be sold on the idea.  He only went along, because he was assured by TD, that his job wouldn't hang on how well Losman did.  When TD was fired, MM lost his safety net...

573399[/snapback]

There was no major salary cap savings from cutting Drew due to the dead cap money.

The big savings would have come from releasing him the prior year instead of giving him a massive signing bonus.

I cannot get over the fact that people still get this wrong. We gave up 2 draft picks, a 2nd and a 5th.

573225[/snapback]

Dude - it cost 3 picks to acquire Losman, that we could have used on 3 different players.

give up your lame spin control.

You've reached a new level of absurdity.  Implied quotes?

I read the same article, and my implied quotes look like this:

" I saw the mess that unfolded in one week, a mandate that 1/2 of my coaching staff be fired, no clear direction of how the team was going to address free agency, and decided to run for the hills."

573184[/snapback]

LOL

I agree.

Some implied quotes from the story:

573166[/snapback]

Let me get this straight: you read a story that was largely conjecture, and now you're looking for implied quotes. You're layering conjecture on top of conjecture.

What we do KNOW:

1. Mularkey initially stated he would continue as the head coach.

2. Later, Mularkey fired a number of his assistants.

3. Levy came in as GM, and hinted he had head coaching aspirations. Ralph Wilson put him in his place AFTER Mularkey had resigned.

4. Mularkey quit a few days after firing those assistants.

Without trying to overthink things, let's see what possible reasons for quitting emerge from these facts:

Possibility 1: Mularkey couldn't hire new assistants. Given the timing of his resignation, this emerges as a strong possibility. With a new GM, it may be that most assistants felt Mularkey was on a one-year job interview. The man interviewing him wanted Mularkey's job. If you were an assistant, would you want to be a part of that situation, on a team with little talent?

Possibility 2: Mularkey had come to realize Levy's head coaching aspirations, and felt this would cause him not to get a fair shake. Granted, it wasn't until after Mularkey quit that Levy said anything publicly. But if Levy was saying things publicly late in the week, maybe he'd made hints to Mularkey behind closed doors earlier.

Possibility 3: In discussing the team's player selection strategy, Levy might have said that Mularkey would no longer be getting players specially suited to his kind of system; but instead would be getting more generic players. If Levy indeed said this, it would make it clear that Mularkey was halfway out the door. The comment might also have made him afraid he wouldn't have the tools to do the job this upcoming season.

Exactly!  Mularkey knew that. He didn't really feel comfortable going into a season with a QB with no experience.  TD sold MM on it, much the way he did many here.

Mularkey would have liked to keep Bledsoe around another year, to be sure Losman was ready to assume a starting job, before cutting ties.  I am not saying he expected Losman to outperform Bledsoe (although many here thought he could, with one arm tied around his back), but he wanted some assurance that if Losman was not ready, his career was tied to him.  Kelly Holcomb was signed to appease Mularkey.  Mularkey liked Holcomb. 

Many here assumed that if they were making that kind of committment to Losman, they must have believed he had a realistic shot at being successful. TD belived that more than Mularkey did.  He only baught what TD was selling, because he was assured he wouldn't be fired if it blew up in their face.  One thing neither guy figured on, was that everything would blow up in their face (ie: the defense would not perform at anything close to the level it did the previous two years), and TD would get the ax...as it turned out, the QB sitution was far from the only issue that the 2005 Bills, and their coach, faced.

573492[/snapback]

this makes a lot of sense, and without any real knowledge of the situation, was basically what i suspected given the outward signs.

There was no major salary cap savings from cutting Drew due to the dead cap money.

The big savings would have come from releasing him the prior year instead of giving him a massive signing bonus.

573803[/snapback]

but there were *real* savings (as in 2005 salary not paid) to be had. we go on and on about the salary cap, but the cap is just a representation of real money, not the thing itself. cutting bledsoe kept millions of dollars in wilson's pocket.