AFC East coaching = Bills nightmare

I just listened to Eric Mangini's press conference on Sirius NFL Radio. Guy has a good coaching pedigree; has worked for Parcells, Marchibroda, and Belichick.

It's a nightmare scenario for Wilson and Levy. The next HC they hire better be damned good because he and his staff are going to be coaching against Mangini, Saban and Belichick--all of whom are going to be looking to kick the crap out of each others' franchises and our Bills.

The consensus among NFL analysts who aren't overt homers (read: anyone with ties to the Patriots) is that the Bills are going to be in the East basement next season. Few here would disagree.

The really scary part is that those three coaches and their staffs are either going to get better (in Mangini's and Saban's cases) or maintain their system (Bill) over the next few seasons.

If we dub the next draft or two, we are going to lay solid claim to the ignominous position held (until recently) by the Bengals. Even the Texans will emerge from the darkness in the next couple seasons, esp. with Kubiak at the helm.

I am putting ALL my faith in the fact that Marv Levy, while removed from active duty in the NFL for a number of years, is a brilliant guy and smart enough to surround himself with smart people.

If he doesn't, and we settle for a HC who is less than ideal for the personnel we can legitimately rely on being here for the next few seasons, we're in for a rough ride.

This transcends the endless debates on TBD about who would be the best choice for the next HC. It's going to be the HC, the staff, the system, and the personnel. And a little luck. With opponents like the three guys mentioned above, we are going to have to perform at an early-90s level very, very quickly.

Thoughts?

CNNSI's Don Banks isn't sold on Mangini and says that it will take him a while to turn the Jets around and I have to agree. The way I see it, Mangini can go one of two ways -- (a) a great signing or (b) a crappy signing, there will be no in between .500 record. Since he comes with a Belichick pedigree everyone is ready to say the Jets will turn into winners. Lets not forget that these are the Jets -- it is a horrible franchise, with horrible luck. Also, I am not sold on Mangini -- sure he has worked around Parcells and Belichick, but what has he done? He has one year of coordinator experience (and he did a commendable job there) and that's it. Its a great story that 10 years ago he was picking up jock straps in the Browns locker room but what has he really done in the subsequent years? Weis and Crennel were fixtures in New England and spent years as coordinators before getting their chance and making the most out of it. Mangini has a year. What does he really know? Belichick is a defensive genius and when Crennel left do you think he had more input with the defensive schemes with a rookie DC then he bothered with Crennel (espescially in light of all of the injuries the defense suffered)? I also bet that Mangini will not be getting much support from the other NFL head coaches who have had to wait years for their job and think this kid gets a pass because of who he knows -- and they will amp up for the Jets to put Mangini in his place. This hire does not scare me. Saban has his s$%t together -- I am not too sure about Mangini. And again, we are talking about the Jets here!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...eams/index.html

nobody except the jets is sold on mangini or knows how he will do, so there is no proof the jets will get better and be a great team just yet. The patriots are also losing players to free agency, injury, and most of all age while simultaneously losing coaches every year, so there is no proof they will remain consistant over the next few years. I love nick saban in miami but we all know they have screwy players. So i'm not panicing, there is still a draft and free agency, its real early.

Just because you've worked for Bellicheck or Parcells doesn't mean you're going to become the NEXT Bellicheck or Parcells. I can't believe the Jets are putting all of their faith into some 35 year old guy who's had 1 year of experience as the defensive coordinator.

Yeah, all of those excellent New England defenses of seasons past are a product of Romeo Crenell. Sure, maybe Eric had something to do with them but the fact that people are believing the hype about this guy is ridiculous.

Nick Saban and Bill Bellicheck are 2 different stories. They're established coaches who we should be worried about.

Jets: cap issues. they might be forced to do a roster dump. So, even if the youngster is a genius, he won't have anything to work with for a year or two. So, 2008 we can start worrying.

Fish: as has been noted here, Saban did a nice job with what he had, especially with early wins against Denver and Carolina, but he still has QB issues. Remember, they lost 6 of 7, with only win vs. NO, before going on a tear (like us last year) against Oakland, us, SD (admittedly a better team, but SD was up and down all year), Jets and Titans before beating NE in a game that NE just didn't appear very interested in winning. If we don't collapse in Miami, who knows how their season plays out, but they would be no better than 8-8 with two losses to us. I'd take that going into 2006. As it is, I'll still take us over them in 2006.

Pats: 10-6 and lucky for that. The loss of Weis will continue to affect that franchise. So will the continued loss of defensive coaches, but Weis is the biggie. They are ripe for the taking next year.

Bills: underachieved. Improvement to both lines, which is possible in a single off-season, could dramatically alter the landscape of the AFC East.

And my earliest recollection of avidly supporting the Bills was the 1-13 season. So, I'm not given to being optimistic about this club.

Losing Mangini is likely going to hurt the Pats. They lose there DC two years in a row. Remember, they started slow and came on later in the season, probably in part due to Mangini getting better. Making the jump to head coach, however, takes time. I wouldn't expect to much next year. Besides, you just never know if a 34 yr old coach is going to muster the respect that Edwards had. Miami, however is going to be better. They have momentum and NS is a very good coach. I'm not convinced that Buffalo is going to be in the basement. There were teams this past year that surprised me. I didn't think L. Smith would do that well in Chicago. Carolina also surprised me this year. Many thought Minnesota would be better. Often, there is not a huge difference between teams in the NFL and a lot can change in a year. We have some very good players. If Levy and Modrak can work some magic in free agency and the draft, we may be better than you think. The key will be hiring a well respected, experienced coach who can surround himself with good assistants. Give me someone who will fit well in Buffalo. I'm not interested in someone trying to move up the ladder by a short stint in Buffalo. He has to actually like upstate NY and fit in. Coaching in Buffalo is a tough job. He is going to have to be tough and have thick skin. Is he out there? Lets hope Levy can find him!

ALL VERY good points. WE need a strong coach in here. I'm just worried that BILLS fans are so difficult to please and desperate to WIN that no matter who is chosen, not everyone will be happy. I can already see the "WE'RE DOOOMMMED" posts (which is old, btw - move on).

For the most part, JET fans seem happy with the pick. I'd say their happiness has more to do with the fact that they view this HC pick up as more of a set back for the PATS.

If Mangini was that good - Bob Kraft could have very easily ponied up the money; paid him more; offered him DC/Assistant HC and made him COACH when Belicheck's run is over. (Ala, Greg Williams~Redskins. Granted, GIBBS is much older than Bill but seriously, if the guy was that good: they would have found a way to keep him ~$!)

I'm still shocked to see BILLS fans get so excited over under-achieving coaches. Sherman, Dick Jauron, Haslett; whatever = bunch of mularkey.

Pickings are slim boys and girls but come on MARV and RALPH - bring in the BEST.

GO BILLS

ps: WHO IS THE BEST?

The Jets won't be a factor for several years. Not only are they way over the cap, they have a load of good FA's they won't be able to re-sign, and face a decision with Pennington. The Pats are on the downswing. They already lost Weis and Crennel, just lost Mangini, and promoted a guy who's been with them 2 whole years (Dean Pees) to DC. And Saban needs to prove he's not another Mularkey, given the way the Dolphins played against the Bills this year.

ALL VERY good points.  WE need a strong coach in here.  I'm just worried that BILLS fans are so difficult to please and desperate to WIN that no matter who is chosen, not everyone will be happy.  I can already see the "WE'RE DOOOMMMED" posts (which is old, btw - move on).

Finally, a voice of reason. Desparate doesn't begin to describe it. We are complaining about coaching, staff, players, uniforms ( :huh: ) and the mustard they have in the stadium for the hot dogs.

I'm with you. Let's get a new head coach and start rebuilding this team. Our job as fans is to get out and support them. GO BILLS!!

ALL VERY good points.  WE need a strong coach in here.  I'm just worried that BILLS fans are so difficult to please and desperate to WIN that no matter who is chosen, not everyone will be happy.  I can already see the "WE'RE DOOOMMMED" posts (which is old, btw - move on).

For the most part, JET fans seem happy with the pick.  I'd say their happiness has more to do with the fact that they view this HC pick up as more of a set back for the PATS.

If Mangini was that good - Bob Kraft could have very easily ponied up the money; paid him more; offered him DC/Assistant HC and made him COACH when Belicheck's run is over.  (Ala, Greg Williams~Redskins.  Granted, GIBBS is much older than Bill but seriously, if the guy was that good: they would have found a way to keep him ~$!)

I'm still shocked to see BILLS fans get so excited over under-achieving coaches.  Sherman, Dick Jauron, Haslett; whatever = bunch of mularkey.

Pickings are slim boys and girls but come on MARV and RALPH - bring in the BEST.

GO BILLS

ps: WHO IS THE BEST?

571472[/snapback]

SAUNDERS

I'm still shocked to see BILLS fans get so excited over under-achieving coaches.  Sherman, Dick Jauron, Haslett; whatever = bunch of mularkey.

I wouldn't call Sherman "under-achieving." And I'm not sold at all on Mangini and think that, in the words of Marv, losing him will hurt the Pats more than it will help the Jets.

Saban probably did one of the more overrated coaching jobs in recent memory this year. Other than 2003 Miami has been a pain in the ass at home in September every freaking year since the inception of the franchise. Nice win in SanDiego and that was about it. They were 2 plays away from getting swept by the Bills & Jets at home.

This isn't to say he can't be a good coach, but this notion that he's another Bellicheck is way premature.

The Jets cap is a mess as mentioned previously.

These concerns are a bit unfounded IMO. My biggest concern is the Bills sucking...again.

very true the afc east is getting just like the nfc east great coaches buffalo needs one just to hang!

nfc east.........,philly andy reid

jints tom couglin

boys bill parcells

skins gibbs

afc east.......... ne belichek

fish saban

jests mangini

billz ???????? if we get another loser coach we are f@#$%d