PackerChatters please post here about...

SDS

"Sherman makes poor mid-game adjustments, is not a good motivator, is a predictable play-caller, and may not be suited for developing young players"

That's just what the Bills DO NOT need. They need a real SOB in here, a Military General type to motivate this team. Rip them to shreds and then build them up. A do not-take-crap from anyone especially players type of coach. Shermy ain't the guy.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sherman makes poor mid-game adjustments, is not a good motivator, is a predictable play-caller, and may not be suited for developing young players"

That's just what the Bills DO NOT need. They need a real SOB in here, a Military General type to motivate this team. Rip them to shreds and then build them up. A do not-take-crap from anyone especially players type of coach. Shermy ain't the guy.

570975[/snapback]

Fassel.

The question I have for all of you is this:

Put in a division coaching against Bill Belichick, Nick Saban and now Mangini (lets assume he is at least competent), will Sherman compete??

570643[/snapback]

to Break that down further, that's coaching against a Hall of Famer, a spring chicken with lots of hype who merely did exactly what our former coach did in 2004, and a rookie :huh:

570975[/snapback]

I think you're wrong about what the Bills need (not a fan of the Military General type) - but even if you're right I can almost guarantee that Marv Levy is not going to be attracted to "a real SOB." I wouldn't hold out much hope for that if I were you.

Let me ask you guys a question:  did the Packers dodge a bullet by not hiring Wade Phillips?  (He interviewed for the position)

I personally like the hiring of Mike McCarthy as the new Packers HC

570460[/snapback]

Both as a defensive coordinator and a head coach, Wade Phillips provided an elite level of defensive coaching. The players--especially on defense--loved him, and it always seemed you could count on that defense to come up big in big games.

But the quality of offensive coaching was below-average. Too often, the Bills adopted a pass-happy offense, despite the fact that the offensive line was ill-suited to pass protection, and the quarterback (Rob Johnson) was a sack waiting to happen. But the Bills' big, slow, strong offensive line was well-suited to running the ball directly at smallish defenses; a tactic that should have been applied more often. In the playoff game against Tennessee, the Bills were pass-happy in the first half, resulting in no scores, two sacks/fumbles recovered by the defense, and one Tennessee defensive touchdown. In the second half, the offensive coordinator got things right by running straight at Tennessee's smallish defense. As a result of doing in the second half what they should have been doing all game long, the Bills kicked what should have been the game-winning field goal with just 17 seconds left.

But the very last play of that game is a good segue into my point about the quality of the special teams coaching. Tennessee returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown. IIRC, that was the second time that year the Bills had lost a game due to allowing a TD return on a kickoff. The quality of the special teams coaching under Wade was abysmal.

Overall, Wade is an elite defensive coordinator who didn't do a good job making the transition to head coach. His teams won more often than they lost on the strength of great defense.

Both as a defensive coordinator and a head coach, Wade Phillips provided an elite level of defensive coaching. The players--especially on defense--loved him, and it always seemed you could count on that defense to come up big in big games.

But the quality of offensive coaching was below-average. Too often, the Bills adopted a pass-happy offense, despite the fact that the offensive line was ill-suited to pass protection, and the quarterback (Rob Johnson) was a sack waiting to happen. But the Bills' big, slow, strong offensive line was well-suited to running the ball directly at smallish defenses; a tactic that should have been applied more often. In the playoff game against Tennessee, the Bills were pass-happy in the first half, resulting in no scores, two sacks/fumbles recovered by the defense, and one Tennessee defensive touchdown. In the second half, the offensive coordinator got things right by running straight at Tennessee's smallish defense. As a result of doing in the second half what they should have been doing all game long, the Bills kicked what should have been the game-winning field goal with just 17 seconds left.

But the very last play of that game is a good segue into my point about the quality of the special teams coaching. Tennessee returned the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown. IIRC, that was the second time that year the Bills had lost a game due to allowing a TD return on a kickoff. The quality of the special teams coaching under Wade was abysmal.

Overall, Wade is an elite defensive coordinator who didn't do a good job making the transition to head coach. His teams won more often than they lost on the strength of great defense.

571017[/snapback]

Someone will provide the link in a few moments, but our very good ST coach instructed the ST to watch for that play immediately before it occurred. Sadly, he took the fall for the players' failure to execute.

If you guys would like more input on Sherman to add to the confusion, go to

http://www.timesfour.com/

(don't know how to make it a link here) then to forums then to Packers.to Packers Go all the way down and you'll see the previous pages of topics that run to 160 or so. Just before Sherman was fired, there were God-knows-how-many threads on him.

I think Sherman may be a better coach the next time around, unless he is terribly stubborn or does not learn easily from experience.

The team looked flat all year, even when it was relatively healthy in the early partseason. I was troubled even by the Buffalo preseason scrimmage in which they didn't do much at all.

I think Sherman had an uncertainty about the future that somehow carried over to the team.

I wouldn't rule Bates in or out as to coming with Sherman. I think he'd be a good HC.

With Sherman, however, I haven't seen it mentioned here but he might want to bring along Tom Rossley as OC. That wouldn't do you any good.

I also think Sherman needs a GM above him -- haven't heard, did Buffalo hire one? I thought it was odd when you fired the GM and OC leaving the HC rather lonely. Was he so dense he couldn't take a hint and had to be fired?

If you guys would like more input on Sherman to add to the confusion, go to

http://www.timesfour.com/

I wouldn't rule Bates in or out as to coming with Sherman. I think he'd be a good HC.

With Sherman, however, I haven't seen it mentioned  here but he might want to bring along Tom Rossley as OC. That wouldn't do you any good.

I also think Sherman needs a GM above him -- haven't heard, did Buffalo hire one? I thought it was odd when you fired the GM and OC leaving the HC rather lonely. Was he so dense he couldn't take a hint and had to be fired?

571105[/snapback]

Thanx for the post. Yes we hired Marv Levy (our coach during the superbowl years) as the new GM. And yes, TD was too dense for a number of things and in his mind, may have truly believed his five years of strategizing would pay off this year. To your point about Sherman, I think from the opinions of all cheeseheads and observence of Jauron in Chicago: I think Sherman may be the best available candidate.

You will be happy if your team chooses to hire Mike Sherman. For one thing he is a 'coach' first--he teaches people and he is good at it, especially on the O-line. He spent about a dozen years in the NCAA as an O-line coach and it shows. With the exception of Chad Clifton, he put together a top-tier offensive line from scraps and leftovers. Fifth, sixth, and seventh round draft picks. With Flanagan hobbled by injury and our Pro-Bowl calibre guards shown the dooor, our O-line struggled as you can imagine early in the year, but solidified later in the year until it was an acceptable unit. Bubba Franks came out of college as a reciever-first who seldom blocked, and under Sherman became one of the best blocking TEs in the league. Although he's not much of a reciever, Robert Ferguson became one of the best blocking WRs in the league as well. Players on Sherman's team will know how to block effectively no matter who they are.

He won't excite you, in fact when he's shown on the sidelines during games he will be invariably engrossed in his play chart, but he won't embarass you either. He doesn't say silly things and comes accross very competant and professional. He rebuilt the Packer offense into a dominating unit despite it deteriorating alarmingly under Rhodes. He did that by replacing the older ones with better young ones. Bill Schroader, an aging Antonio Freeman and Dorsey Levels were replaced by Donald Driver, Javon Walker and Ahman Green and we again were a 400 point team on offense basically every year, despite (like you) playing outside in freezing weather most of the time.

Some of his game calls are conservative, to the point of being stone age, like the infamous '4th and 1' punt that cost us a trip to the NFC Championship game. When he tries to mix things up it's invariably the 'halfback option' that's employed, but despite me cringing everytime it's run, it also seems to work everytime. You won't see much razzle-dazzle from him though.

if the Bills hire Sherman,.... this will go down in history as a great thread.

there is a lot of great insight that you just don't get from the day to day crap on the board. and what i mean by that is.....the Green Bay homers have some good and negative comments to make on MS. The Buffalo locals who don't want Sherman for whatever reason simply say, "sherman sucks...next". :huh:

there is a lot of great insight that you just don't get from the day to day crap on the board.

571185[/snapback]

Not to mention that we will get a few free fans from Green Bay along the way. I mean it - looks like several posters from that board liked the guy and may follow the Bills as a secondary favorite.

As an aside - kudos to SDS for soliciting views of the teams whose HC may become ours.

I am sure if he did that from Bears fans, the universal opinion would be stay as far away from Jauron as possible.

there is a lot of great insight that you just don't get from the day to day crap on the board.

571185[/snapback]

You're right. Maybe we should ask the folks in Chicago, Houston and Dallas about Capers and Juron.

I'd say ask the people of N.O about Jim Hasslet, but they're all dead, from what I read in the papers.

What do you guys think of Jerry Grey?  He was interviewed today to be the Packers new D Coordinator.  Rumor has it that he will get the job

571196[/snapback]

good for grey. i hope you like excessive blitzing. in my opinion, he's a big step down from bates, although he did oversee an excellent defense in 2004. bills fans have seen a lot of bates, by the way, from his days in miami.

What do you guys think of Jerry Grey?  He was interviewed today to be the Packers new D Coordinator.  Rumor has it that he will get the job

571196[/snapback]

in my opinion the Pack should have done whatever they could to keep Bates.

Jerry Gray is a screamer. since he came here on the back of Greg Williams and then worked side by side Dick Lebeau, few are willing to give him credit for the top 3 finishes the Bills defense had under his leadership.....but give him full credit for their falling apart this year.