OK, well, this is kick in the balls part two....

Yet another coach TD passed up on, John Fox, has his team heading BACK to the NFC Championship game. Thank whatever God there is that ol Whitey got sh---canned.

568989[/snapback]

"Take a look at John Fox, one of the most respected coaches in the National Football League" -- James Brown on Fox, about 90 seconds ago.

"Take a look at John Fox, one of the most respected coaches in the National Football League" -- James Brown on Fox, about 90 seconds ago.

569001[/snapback]

It's so painful, all you can do is laugh. Thank GOD that "era" is over. Hopefully Marv doesn't do any worse.

Yet another coach TD passed up on, John Fox, has his team heading BACK to the NFC Championship game. Thank whatever God there is that ol Whitey got sh---canned.

568989[/snapback]

joe - it has been rumored (somewhat credibly, in my opinion) that ralph put the kibosh on fox because he quit on al davis. ralph is one of davis' only buds in the league, and davis has it in for fox because fox flat out quit on him. of course, i can't blame fox for leaving that crazy situation, and i wouldn't want to work for count chocula either.

joe - it has been rumored (somewhat credibly, in my opinion) that ralph put the kibosh on fox because he quit on al davis. ralph is one of davis' only buds in the league, and davis has it in for fox because fox flat out quit on him.  of course, i can't blame fox for leaving that crazy situation, and i wouldn't want to work for count chocula either.

569022[/snapback]

I'm not trying to get on ya, but where specifically has that been rumored?? I'd never heard that before reading your post.

joe - it has been rumored (somewhat credibly, in my opinion) that ralph put the kibosh on fox because he quit on al davis. ralph is one of davis' only buds in the league, and davis has it in for fox because fox flat out quit on him.  of course, i can't blame fox for leaving that crazy situation, and i wouldn't want to work for count chocula either.

569022[/snapback]

Can you give me the background on that situation. Was Fox the head coach? If not what was he? Why did he quit?

joe - it has been rumored (somewhat credibly, in my opinion) that ralph put the kibosh on fox because he quit on al davis. ralph is one of davis' only buds in the league, and davis has it in for fox because fox flat out quit on him.

569022[/snapback]

And Fox has a cousin who used to date R. Rich's sister, and R. Rich is married to a Steeler fan, and Steelers are the home of that rat bastard who perpetrated the worst 5 year run in Bills history.

It's like a vicious cycle that just won't end, Joe. :w00t::angry:

569022[/snapback]

So he quit on Al Davis, proving that he wasn't insane. Should have received the Presdidential Medal for Freedom for that. Nice reasoning Ralph.

I'm not trying to get on ya, but where specifically has that been rumored??  I'd never heard that before reading your post.

569023[/snapback]

i feel bad about what i'm about to say given my post, but i simply can't remember. so feel free to discount it. i did see a reference to it in at least one place and i think two places after fox had had success with the panthers.

fox was the defensive coordinator (i'm fairly certain) in oakland in the mid-90s, and while there he simply quit because he couldn't deal with the constant interference and poisonous situation. it happened before gruden arrived.

i feel bad about what i'm about to say given my post, but i simply can't remember. so feel free to discount it. i did see in at least one place and i think two places after fox had had success with the panthers. 

fox was the defensive coordinator (i'm fairly certain) in oakland in the mid-90s, and while there he simply quit because he couldn't deal with the constant interference and poisonous situation. it happened before gruden arrived.

569037[/snapback]

I remember reading that myself, I think it could of been in the Buffalo News a few weeks ago in the Inside the NFL column.

Nice reasoning Ralph.

569028[/snapback]

Yeah...this isn't going to snowball.

Just to clarify, this was never said by RW. If it was seen anywhere, it was probably in a post by ICE.

RW never said this, and the chances are quite staggering that the thought never even came close to crossing his mind.

I swear, the conspiracy theories around here are enough to make the writers of the X-Files slap their heads in disbelief.

what is asinine about your post Joe is that John Fox wasn't that "hot" of a candidate when he was hired. He had some decent success with the Giants, but he was a dirt poor man's Marvin Lewis.

No one was clamoring for this guy when he came to interview here. Lewis was the man on the minds of Bills fans. I suspect if Fox was hired we would have had a ton of pissers and moaners bitching about the 2nd tier coach we settled for.

Total bogus bulls#it.

http://www.nfl.com/ce/multi/0,3783,4893094,00.html]Fox Resume Part I

Also:

The rest of the story.

"It could be that John still has something to prove after so many stops. Boise, ID, Ames, IA, Lawrence, KS. They were all on his résumé before he reached the NFL as a secondary coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1989. Even then, he stayed on the move - San Diego from 1992-1993, Oakland from 1994-1995, and St. Louis in 1996 - before reaching the Giants as defensive coordinator."

"However, his success as a coordinator did not begin with the Giants. Before serving as a consultant to the Rams in 1996, he engineered the Oakland Raiders defense to a 10th-place finish in total defense in 1994 and 11th in 1995. At Oakland, he worked with future Giants head coach Jim Fassel.

Before joining Oakland, John was the secondary coach under Bobby Ross at San Diego in 1992 and 1993. John started his NFL coaching career with the Pittsburgh Steelers as defensive backs coach from 1989-1991, overseeing the top-rated pass defense in 1990.

John moved to the Steelers from the University of Pittsburgh, where he served as defensive coordinator and secondary coach for the Panthers from 1986 through 1988. In each of his three seasons, the Pittsburgh pass defense was statistically ranked among the top 10 in the nation.

Prior to his three-year stay with Pittsburgh, John made eight moves in as many seasons as he worked his way through the coaching ranks, including a foray into professional football with the Los Angeles Express of the USFL in 1985. Starting as a graduate assistant at his alma mater of San Diego State in 1978, John became an assistant at United States International University a year later and made a succession of moves to Boise State in 1980, Long Beach State in 1981, Utah in 1982, Kansas in 1983, and Iowa State in 1984."

The guy has moved around, but to say he hurt Al Davis' feelings and by extension - Ralph's is ridiculous. Maybe you could say Fox reminded him of Lou Saban - maybe. But that's a horse of a different color. Besides, if TD was such a strong leader and President of the organization, if he had a pair he would have hired Fox - IF Fox was his guy. He obviously wasn't - for whatever reason.

I'm beginning to wonder even if we had hired John Fox or Marvin Lewis how much more successful we would have been.

With the recent Mularkey resignation, coupled with not-so-distant-past instances of clashes between coach and owner, I'm coming around to the thinking that maybe the real problem is even higher up in the organization.