Pass Interference

pmoon

If that was Broncos v. Bills I would have been furious. Horrible call, no idea where the interference happened - Samuels looked at the ball - ran to the spot, was shoved by the reciever then got to the spot in the endzone again - called for PI??? Am I crazy? NOT a Patsie fan but thought this was a VERY bad call.

GO LEVY! GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, just "give it to them" just got turned around for once.....its about time

567632[/snapback]

I don't feel that way, to be honest. Teams that turn the ball over FIVE times don't get beat by a 2nd quarter penalty. The ones like "Just give it to 'em" piss me off to no end because they happen without enough time left for the screwee to overcome it.

Anyone else think it's time for a change in the pass interference department? I'm mean really, the reward for that infraction is so ridiculous. It allows a ref to make a split second judgement call and can give teams a 40 or 50 yard penalty and ball on the 1 yd line?!? You can spear a guy in the head and kill him and it's only a 15 yd penalty for unnecessary roughness. I think PI should be like college and an automatic 15 yd penalty. For a twist you can make it like the NBA and have a "flagrant foul" PI penalty for those times when a guy obviously tackles a dude before the ball is there to prevent a TD. For that one you can give the ball at the spot of the foul but when two guys are going for the ball and both looking at the ball, it should only be 15 yds if at all.

Don't worry, just "give it to them" just got turned around for once.....its about time

567632[/snapback]

Despite the five turnovers, they still had a shot to win that game deep into the third. I'll guarantee you this much...if the Bills turn the ball over 5 times in a game, the score isn't within 28 points.

Anyone else think it's time for a change in the pass interference department?  I'm mean really, the reward for that infraction is so ridiculous.  It allows a ref to make a split second judgement call and can give teams a 40 or 50 yard penalty and ball on the 1 yd line?!?  You can spear a guy in the head and kill him and it's only a 15 yd penalty for unnecessary roughness.  I think PI should be like college and an automatic 15 yd penalty.  For a twist you can make it like the NBA and have a "flagrant foul" PI penalty for those times when a guy obviously tackles a dude before the ball is there to prevent a TD.  For that one you can give the ball at the spot of the foul but when two guys are going for the ball and both looking at the ball, it should only be 15 yds if at all.

567874[/snapback]

good rule... I never did understand how an offensive pass interference was a 10 or 15 (i forget what it is) penalty, but a defensive PI call can go anywhere from spot of foul and auomatic first down to a 99 yard penalty. Seems a little skewed against the defense.

Anyone else think it's time for a change in the pass interference department?  I'm mean really, the reward for that infraction is so ridiculous.  It allows a ref to make a split second judgement call and can give teams a 40 or 50 yard penalty and ball on the 1 yd line?!?  You can spear a guy in the head and kill him and it's only a 15 yd penalty for unnecessary roughness.  I think PI should be like college and an automatic 15 yd penalty.  For a twist you can make it like the NBA and have a "flagrant foul" PI penalty for those times when a guy obviously tackles a dude before the ball is there to prevent a TD.  For that one you can give the ball at the spot of the foul but when two guys are going for the ball and both looking at the ball, it should only be 15 yds if at all.

567874[/snapback]

The problem with a 40-50 yard penalty, ball at the one, is that the refs have virtually given the "O" a sure 7 points. The games, especially championships, should be determined by the players, not the refs.

That being said, if you made PI a 15yd penalty, here's what the "D" would do. Any time you're beat, do the PI so as not to give up 7. It would be the new strategy

That being said, if you made PI a 15yd penalty, here's what the "D" would do.  Any time you're beat, do the PI so as not to give up 7.  It would be the new strategy

567891[/snapback]

I doubt it, the same 15 yd PI penalty exists in college and you don't see guys just mauling people and giving up the 15. A 15 yd penalty and automatic 1st down is a big deal. Players are too busy playing to think too much about strategy on what to do when you're beat.

If that was Broncos v. Bills I would have been furious. Horrible call, no idea where the interference happened - Samuels looked at the ball - ran to the spot, was shoved by the reciever then got to the spot in the endzone again - called for PI??? Am I crazy? NOT a Patsie fan but thought this was a VERY bad call.

567625[/snapback]

I will say one thing, Samuels is one of the best corners in the league.

I doubt it,  the same 15 yd PI penalty exists in college and you don't see guys just mauling people and giving up the 15.  A 15 yd penalty and automatic 1st down is a big deal.  Players are too busy playing to think too much about strategy on what to do when you're beat.

567893[/snapback]

That's because it's much easier to move the football in college.

Honestly, I think I understand why the penalty was called. Samuel knew the ball was going to be on the inside, yet he cut off Lelie and forced him to run away from the ball. He may have looked at the ball, but he hardly was going for it. Thus, he interfered with the receiver. Couldn't be more convenient for a Bills fan either :w00t:

567874[/snapback]

I actually like that idea. I really don't think ticky-tack PI calls -- those that are really close and could go one way or another -- should really have the possibility of ending up in a 50 yard penalty. Refs are already asked to distinguish between incidental fask mask penalties and flagrant, intentional fask mask penalties. Why not ask them to do the same for PI? I think it could be done. Then you'd have the option for a 15 yarder, or a spot of foul.

Get 'er done, TD!

567625[/snapback]

It wasn't a good call, but there have been worse. At the time it seemed horrible because of the situation, but New England could have won the game.

567625[/snapback]

Do you think it was worse than calling pass interference on a Hail Mary pass in the end zone with six guys jumping for it? [Note: See Just Give it to Them™]

The Patsies can get screwed by calls every game for the next ten years and it won't balance out having two Super Bowl championships being handed to them. :pirate:

Apologies for bumping this thread - it's just that they've been talking about it on The Fan and it torqued me!