Rochester D&C gives us lots of names to discuss

Mark VI

In addition to Rams OC Steve Fairchild, the former RB's coach under Gregg Williams, The D&C gave us these blurbs this morning..

Names are starting to emerge for the coordinators jobs in Buffalo.

Veteran assistant Sam Wyche is closest to the scene and could be promoted, providing Wyche's health issues don't prevent him from accepting a more demanding role.

Other candidates are fired Raiders coach Norv Turner, who had successful runs as offensive coordinator in Dallas and Miami and New England Patriots quarterback coach Josh McDaniels, 29, who has been lauded for his work with Tom Brady.

Defensively, the Bills won't confirm reports that they have received permission to speak with Atlanta Falcons defensive backs coach Brett Maxie. However Maxie, who played safety in the NFL for 13 years, has the playing background Mularkey is seeking to replace after letting go Clements, Krumrie and Blackmon.

New England Patriots defensive line coach Pepper Johnson, who starred for 13 seasons at linebacker in the NFL, is also on Buffalo's radar, as are ex-Saints head coach and Bills linebacker Jim Haslett and ex-Texans coach Dom Capers.

Also on any short list being compiled is Ted Cottrell, who was let go by the Vikings despite a strong season. Cottrell has strong ties to new Bills general manager Marv Levy, who hired Cottrell in Buffalo.

In addition to Rams OC Steve Fairchild, the former RB's coach under Gregg Williams, The D&C gave us these blurbs this morning..

Names are starting to emerge for the coordinators jobs in Buffalo.

Veteran assistant Sam Wyche is closest to the scene and could be promoted, providing Wyche's health issues don't prevent him from accepting a more demanding role.

Other candidates are fired Raiders coach Norv Turner, who had successful runs as offensive coordinator in Dallas and Miami and New England Patriots quarterback coach Josh McDaniels, 29, who has been lauded for his work with Tom Brady.

Defensively, the Bills won't confirm reports that they have received permission to speak with Atlanta Falcons defensive backs coach Brett Maxie. However Maxie, who played safety in the NFL for 13 years, has the playing background Mularkey is seeking to replace after letting go Clements, Krumrie and Blackmon.

New England Patriots defensive line coach Pepper Johnson, who starred for 13 seasons at linebacker in the NFL, is also on Buffalo's radar, as are ex-Saints head coach and Bills linebacker Jim Haslett and ex-Texans coach Dom Capers.

Also on any short list being compiled is Ted Cottrell, who was let go by the Vikings despite a strong season. Cottrell has strong ties to new Bills general manager Marv Levy, who hired Cottrell in Buffalo.

562633[/snapback]

My personal wish list, given those options:

OC -- Wyche or McDaniels

DC -- Capers or Pepper Johnson

My philosophy? Proven vet with track record of success, or young gun coming from a great organization.

My personal wish list, given those options:

OC -- Wyche or McDaniels

DC -- Capers or Pepper Johnson

My philosophy?  Proven vet with track record of success, or young gun coming from a great organization.

562636[/snapback]

I agree.

After given this a full minute of thought - Pepper Johnson would be the man. The NE LB unit is outstanding and being a SB winner multiple times as a player and a coach brings *real* knowledge to the organization on what it takes to be a champion despite your opponent.

After given this a full minute of thought - Pepper Johnson would be the man.  The NE LB unit is outstanding and being a SB winner multiple times as a player and a coach brings *real* knowledge to the organization on what it takes to be a champion despite your opponent.

562712[/snapback]

I agree 100 percent. PJ will do great things for whoever gives him a chance at the next level. I just hope that whoever is not Billichick.

After given this a full minute of thought - Pepper Johnson would be the man.  The NE LB unit is outstanding and being a SB winner multiple times as a player and a coach brings *real* knowledge to the organization on what it takes to be a champion despite your opponent.

562712[/snapback]

Plus he could tell us how Bruschi levitates with a halo.

The Orioles tried to do the whole get a low-level guy from a winning organization when they hired Lee Mazzili. Since that didn't work so well, I am against gambling yet again on a young coaching prospect.

562939[/snapback]

Hmm, baseball's a little different, though. I think it's almost essential to have managerial experience to be a big league manager these days. There are obvious exceptions, but not a lot of them.

Football, we're looking at offensive and defensive coordinators, not head coaches yet. We're looking for guys who have had some pro success in some regard, really. Picking from the NE tree can't hurt. Not only would we be getting guys who have been master motivators for a three-time champion, we would be stealing from those same (in-division, no less) champs. Win-win.

Hmm, baseball's a little different, though.  I think it's almost essential to have managerial experience to be a big league manager these days.  There are obvious exceptions, but not a lot of them.

Football, we're looking at offensive and defensive coordinators, not head coaches yet.  We're looking for guys who have had some pro success in some regard, really.  Picking from the NE tree can't hurt.  Not only would we be getting guys who have been master motivators for a three-time champion, we would be stealing from those same (in-division, no less) champs.  Win-win.

562945[/snapback]

I agree that my opinion has little logic to it. The experience in baseball just left a sour taste in my mouth about the whole concept.

562712[/snapback]

I thought PJ was the DL coach

I'd love to take a shot with Pepper Johnson and McDaniels. It helps us and hurts NE. Else, lets go with the vets, Cottrell or Capers for DC, Wyche for OC.

But MM is not that smart. He'll be contacting the Falcons DC and the Rams coach who sucked when he was with the Bills.

I'd love to take a shot with Pepper Johnson and McDaniels.  It helps us and hurts NE.  Else, lets go with the vets, Cottrell or Capers for DC, Wyche for OC.

But MM is not that smart.  He'll be contacting the Falcons DC and the Rams coach who sucked when he was with the Bills.

563095[/snapback]

Really? He coaxed good totals out of Travis Henry, whom according to some here is the dumbest man and most worthless RB ever to set foot on a football field.