a good piece to read regarding the moulds debate

i'm not saying that it convinces me one way or another, but it's definitely worth reading:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9154855

562226[/snapback]

p.s. moulds and muhammed were drafted pretty close to each other (moulds late first; muhammed mid-2nd) in the same year, and their career stats are virtually identical:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1203

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1196

can lee evans be as good as steve smith? his hands are as good and he's certainly faster than smith. he's not as quick, though.

562233[/snapback]

I don't know if we're saying the same thing, but Evans doesn't know how to use his speed like Smith does. Smith can go over the middle and get lost running between bigger LBs and turn a six-yard pass into a 30-yard game regularly. Evans did that once this season when the DB fell down, but other than that, all his long gains were on deep passes, usually fly patterns.

How did Evans do getting double teamed lining up with J Reed and Parrish this year? Yeah, I thought so--not too good at all. Evans is a great WR, when he has single coverage. Peerless Price was great once too---when he wasn't the number one receiver.

evans put up bigger numbers in his first 2 years than smith did in his.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/EvanLe00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/SmitSt01.htm

562345[/snapback]

Smith was drafted to be a punt/kick returner. He was the #4 or #5 back his rookie year. So comparing his first eyar with Evans is not fair. Also, Smith poured it on once he got a chance to start, as evident by having 2nd year numbers better then Evans, who didn't improve this year.

Smith was drafted to be a punt/kick returner.  He was the #4 or #5 back his rookie year.  So comparing his first eyar with Evans is not fair.  Also, Smith poured it on once he got a chance to start, as evident by having 2nd year numbers better then Evans, who didn't improve this year.

562352[/snapback]

That is true. when fox came in, he saw that smith had talent and began starting him at #2. the fact that smith still put up decent numbers in his first 2 yrs and was a PR the first one makes him that much better than evans. don't get me wrong. I love evans and i think he can be real good. cept like someone else said earlier. he still reminds me of Price in that he hasn't really proven he can handle the double coverage. Maybe he will prove me wrong though. I'm a student at Purdue University. Being in the Big Ten, I have had the opportunity to watch him play in college when we played wisconsin. The things i saw him do on the field were jaw dropping. Somehow, in 2004, I knew we would draft him.

I just don't like us comparing our players to other great players in the league when they havent yet proven themselves. It's kind of unfair to our players because then we're setting ourselves up to be disappointed. I liked some of the things i saw out of Josh Reed this season. I know he wasn't amazing, but there were flashes of what he could be. A few games he made clutch catches. Losman really seemed to have a connection with reed at times. If reed does get released or cut this offseason, I really hope he can get things together. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to be one of the greatest college receivers ever and then flop it up in the pros.

Smith was drafted to be a punt/kick returner.  He was the #4 or #5 back his rookie year.  So comparing his first eyar with Evans is not fair.  Also, Smith poured it on once he got a chance to start, as evident by having 2nd year numbers better then Evans, who didn't improve this year.

562352[/snapback]

well, evans had way more tds his first year and second year than smith, and this past year was an absolutely ridiculous qb year for the bills. so factor that in.

i'll use my own eyes -- he's faster than smith, as strong, and certainly his hands are as good. he's not as quick as smith coming out of breaks, but that's what separates smith -- speed plus quickness (a rarity).

as for those comparing evans to price, gimme a break. there's no comparison whatsoever. price is a poor man's steve smith, and has a totally different game than evans.

well, evans had way more tds his first year and second year than smith, and this past year was an absolutely ridiculous qb year for the bills. so factor that in. 

i'll use my own eyes -- he's faster than smith, as strong, and certainly his hands are as good. he's not as quick as smith coming out of breaks, but that's what separates smith -- speed plus quickness (a rarity).

as for those comparing evans to price, gimme a break. there's no comparison whatsoever. price is a poor man's steve smith, and has a totally different game than evans.

562430[/snapback]

I wasn't trying to compare evans to price if thats what you thought. evans is very young and has a long way ahead of him in his career. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he is light years beyond price's talent. however, most of the things i have seen him do is because of the coverage moulds draws away from him. That denver game was horrendous. however every good receiver has a bad day. and to say that smith and evans are similar in my opinion isnt completely true. smith has a much bigger build and is a very tough receiver. He has that combination of size, toughness, and speed and quickness. evans is a bit smaller build and has almost similar speed and toughness.. dont get me wrong though i agree with some of your post. the comparisons between price and evans come because they both rely heavily on their initial bursts. Thats how they beat their corners. moulds and smith can break tackles way better.