Wow ... no love for JP?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

J.P is gonna do just fine!

he is just like a young jim kelly who is thought to be brash.i can't wait to hear some of the stories marv will lay on him as he moulds him into a man!barring injury J.P. will be here a long long time!go bills in'06 and welcome home marv

Really, no one should be sold on Losman yet because he hasn't shown anything worth buying. Not yet. But, as you said, it's too early to tell whether or not he'll be good or bad.

559250[/snapback]

I don't know anybody that's sold on the kid, I just want to see him play, period. I get the feeling with Mularkey on shakey ground next year we'll get more of the same. A few starts here and there and that's it as he tries to save his job for a second year in a row.

If you want regression, try Eli Manning heading into the playoffs! Four turnovers today against the Panthers. It is his first playoff exposure, but Giant fans had been railing on him for weeks. They were winning in spite of Eli, not because of him. Can anyone say Tiki....

A very well thought out post. Young QBs take time to develop. And as for Eli's baptism under fire today Bf, poor gameplanning and if I recall last year, Roethlisberger looked pretty awful in his first two postseason starts as well. Not everyone just goes in there and sets the world on fire.

I think the Bills must have more patience with Losman and hopefully things will workout.

JP has a good chance of being fine, and I think he should have started 16 games this season, period. Played against Carolina and Tampa, but didn't get the experience in two starts against the Jets, and a couple other games which would have been easier for him to excel in. I'm really disappointed in Malurky for his decision making, especially the last week of the season, but since he is back I'm going to give him a pass on this one, and hope he makes more sense in 2006.

I don't know anybody that's sold on the kid, I just want to see him play, period.  I get the feeling with Mularkey on shakey ground next year we'll get more of the same.  A few starts here and there and that's it as he tries to save his job for a second year in a row.

559395[/snapback]

The thing about Marv, though, is that he would never let Mularkey feel that he is on shakey ground. That sort of pressure wouldn't help Mularkey, and Marv knows that. And Marv knows what job he signed up for, so expect Marv to try to help MM to the utmost. And Mularkey will be able to make an objective decision about the quarterback position!

I don't think it is a case of ... no love. It's a case of he hasn't done anything to date to earn any love.

As Bills fans we all hope he does well, however the adults among us refuse to vote him into the hall of fame quite yet. We understand he will make his rookie (or first year starting) mistakes, we also understand that he may, or he may NOT develop into a good QB. We understand that JP (at this time) is just the next in line, of a long LONG line of players trying to attain Jack Kemp/Jim Kelly status.

My friend, go to espn.com and look at JP's numbers.  He had essentially two halves to the season.  The first 4 games, then he got benched, and then the last 5 games with 4 starts.  His numbers break down like this:

First half:  45/94 for 433 yds (47.9%) 1 TD 2 INT 52.3 QB RTG  19 rushes for 102 yds (5.4ypc)

Second half:  68/134 for 907 yds (50.7%) 7 TD 6 INT 77.5 QB RTG 12 rushes for 52 yds (4.3ypc)

So in his second half, he threw for more than twice as many yards, for 6 more touches and 4 more picks, and he pulled up his QB rating by 25 points and pulled his completion percentage over 50%.  All of this in about 3 more quarters more playing time in the second half.  If anything, you can say he was inconsistent from game to game.  He had some pretty good games and some pretty bad games.  I guess we now require all first year quarterbacks to be Ben Roethlisberger.  But the numbers clearly indicate that he did in fact improve over the course of the season, and deserved to start the final two games of the season over kelly holcomb.

559259[/snapback]

If you take away that one bad game in which he threw 3 picks against the Pats playing in the snow for the 1st time his numbers don't look as bad for a second year QB. As a matter of fact the reason for his poor completion percentagein that second half of the season came mostly from scrambling outside the pocket and throwing the ball away trying to make something happen versus Holcomb who is too quick to dump the ball off. It's like watching the Bengals game yesterday with Kitna who is a Holcomb clone: once the Steelers adjusted and realized that with his arm there are throws he just couldn't make and they adjusted and shut the Bengals. Kitna looked good for stretches but he is nothing more than a system QB, just like Holcomb. Who knows if JP will develop like Palmer but I know Bengals fans are glad that Marvin Lewis didn't stay with a system QB who would win some games and make them competitive; he took a chance and was rewarded handsomely.

My friend, go to espn.com and look at JP's numbers.  He had essentially two halves to the season.  The first 4 games, then he got benched, and then the last 5 games with 4 starts.  His numbers break down like this:

First half:  45/94 for 433 yds (47.9%) 1 TD 2 INT 52.3 QB RTG  19 rushes for 102 yds (5.4ypc)

Second half:  68/134 for 907 yds (50.7%) 7 TD 6 INT 77.5 QB RTG 12 rushes for 52 yds (4.3ypc)

So in his second half, he threw for more than twice as many yards, for 6 more touches and 4 more picks, and he pulled up his QB rating by 25 points and pulled his completion percentage over 50%.  All of this in about 3 more quarters more playing time in the second half.  If anything, you can say he was inconsistent from game to game.  He had some pretty good games and some pretty bad games.  I guess we now require all first year quarterbacks to be Ben Roethlisberger.  But the numbers clearly indicate that he did in fact improve over the course of the season, and deserved to start the final two games of the season over kelly holcomb.

559259[/snapback]

THIS POST IS RIGHT ON! A few in posts above have stated "we didn't see JP progress." What!? I saw progression in his development between his first 4 starts and his last 4. I saw a more sure QB with much more authority in his throws. I saw quicker decisions. I saw increased accuracy. And I saw that he has a sweet deep ball. The numbers support that he progressed.

The fact that he was able to progress while the running game and O-Line regressed is simply phenominal. Almost unheard of. He is the only reason I am excited about next season (if Mularkey doesn't screw it up again).

the more i reflect on it the more i think JP has a good chance of being a quality NFL qb.

he really did play against some tough Ds compared to holcomb, and i think if he is in a slightly dumbed down O where he throws long and runs more (two things he is good at and two things that scare the hell out of Ds) and mcgahee gets 20+ carries and 5+ plus passes a game we have what could be a pretty good O.

the fact that we have a big back, a fast running qb with a strong arm, and are about the worst in the NFL in the redzone shows me that our game plan was putrid

I suppose I am just confused about the whole JP situation. I would understand if this was his 3rd year starting and he had this type of year. But it was'nt. This was his first year as a starting QB. Lets take a look:

My whole point is this. Many people seem to want to give up on this kid. Why? After one year as a starting QB ... one year as a starting QB who played 8 games? In my opinion we should have started him to the entire year. We were not going to make the playoffs either way and this way, he could have ironed out a lot more than when he was sitting on the bench.

BTW: I picked these QB's because even though they had a rough first year, in their 2nd or 3rd year they had good numbers and had their teams in the playoffs.

559228[/snapback]

Welcome to the retard rollercoaster phenomena of this board. I say give the kid a legitamate chance to develop and see what happens. Not to mention, give him a decent OL and veterans who aren't willing to throw him under the bus to hide their shortcomings.

I agree - I think he actually improved as the year went on...That said, the coaches had better let him play next year and not decide the rag armed Holcolm is the best option to win...

559828[/snapback]

And that is precisely why they should not have kept Mularkey. He has probably 4 games to keep his job next year. What makes anyone think he's going to let JP "develop" over those 4 games if his job is in jeopardy? He didn't at the end of this season.

Welcome to the retard rollercoaster phenomena of this board. I say give the kid a legitamate chance to develop and see what happens. Not to mention, give him a decent OL and veterans who aren't willing to throw him under the bus to hide their shortcomings.

And a few outdoor practices in the snow wouldn't hurt either.