Why not Art Shell?

This SI writer makes a pretty good argument for Art Shell getting a second chance to be a head coach in the NFL. Why not him instead of MM?

SI.com

558269[/snapback]

Anytime there is a black coach available the media hops all over the cause. How about Jim Fassel? But even Shell couldnt do any worse than the last two guys weve had. At least he has some sort of HC experience. But why would the Bills actually want to hire someone that may be qualified. That would actually indicate some sort of common sense on thier part.

While I'm not in any hurry to dump MM, I agree about Art Shell and have been lobbying for years for him to get another crack. He did one hell of a job with a Raiders roster that was just loaded with garbage and I've always been curious to see what he could do with a decent squad of players.

Cya

At 59 years old he's too young for this organization! He's not even a senior citizen yet!

558357[/snapback]

The mean reason is because he is black. Personally i have no problem with it i wanted dennis green when he came out again. But I beleive ralph dosesnt like Black people in Head roles, not as a GM or a Head Coach or even a QB. Somebody please correct me if you havent seen the same thing over the decades.

The mean reason is because he is black. Personally i have no problem with it i wanted dennis green when he came out again. But I beleive ralph dosesnt like Black people in Head roles, not as a GM or a Head Coach or even a QB. Somebody please correct me if you havent seen the same thing over the decades.

558362[/snapback]

Worst point ever made!......you could say that about 90% of the NFL teams...... :D

Q: Can you describe what it was like playing for coach Art Shell?

Bob Golic: Oh man. Well, first off it was neat because we knew he was a player. I think those of us who had played a number of years had had the experience of playing with a coach that maybe didn’t have very much pro playing experience. Maybe coached in the pros and played in college, and things like that. But when you had a guy who actually knew the game and knew the pro mentality from a player standpoint, it was pretty neat. You felt like you could relate to him. I’ll never forget one time in training camp, we were having a bad morning practice, which usually means if you have a bad morning practice, eventually the coach calls you up, yells at you and says if you don’t get this right, we’ll stay out here all day, I don’t care if it takes five hours. And I remember him blowing the horn, everybody ran up there and I’m waiting for this and Art looked at us and said, “You know, we’ve been here a week or 10 days now, you know what you guys, your legs are tired, mentally you’re kind of worn out. Lets break practice, you guys go hit the weights a little bit, take the afternoon off.” We all just looked at each other like oh-my-God. He understood. I think he understood the physical and mental aspect and what the players needed and I thought that was pretty cool. Plus he was just scary, because even though I’m a big guy, he was.. He had this deep voice and he didn’t even have to say anything. I remember if we were in a team meeting and a player walked in late, oh my God. A lot of times he wouldn’t even say anything. He would stop whatever he was saying and it would just go dead silent, I mean you couldn’t even hear a pin drop. He would just stare at whoever the player it was walking in. And the thing is we’re all sitting there, we’re already in the meeting so we’re not in trouble, but he had a way of making everybody feel like they were in trouble.

Art is a Players coach who is a good fit for an older established team but I don’t think his lazafair style would be good for a team rebuilding like the Bills. He ran a very undisciplined practice.

Art is a Players coach who is a good fit for an older established team but I don’t think his lazafair style would be good for a team rebuilding like the Bills.  He ran a very undisciplined practice.

558398[/snapback]

I don't think that would work for the personalities of today's NFL...look at Tice and his sex boat vikings

I think that assumption is unfounded. Who's to say that Shell wouldn't be able to adapt to a younger team?

Art is a Players coach who is a good fit for an older established team but I don’t think his lazafair style would be good for a team rebuilding like the Bills.  He ran a very undisciplined practice.

558398[/snapback]

This SI writer makes a pretty good argument for Art Shell getting a second chance to be a head coach in the NFL. Why not him instead of MM?

SI.com

558269[/snapback]

Ralph is too used to seeing black people work at his estates in various ervant roles.I dont think he would be comfortable with a black having that much power.-Its a generational thing/cultural thing with him.

558362[/snapback]

While he has not hired a black GM or coach the Bills were one of the first teams to have a black QB, and not just one - Marlin Brisco, and James Harris!

558398[/snapback]

He forgot to take them to the movies. :unsure:

He was terrible coaching the Raiders.  He ran a very undisciplined team.  Good lineman

558275[/snapback]

I see you point, but I think any job that has you working for Al Davis puts you in an untenable situation. I thought he made the most of it- aside from John Gruden, who has done better since- and Calahan does not count- he was a bad coach with the great team Greden left behind

558398[/snapback]

Talk about taking phonetic spelling to the nth degree. :unsure: