How can people say Marv will be a disaster!

billsboys

HE'S A VERY SMART MAN! He'll find a way to turn this team around. Give him time. He needs to settle in. So he hasn't been with the Bills for over a decade. That's ok! U have to trust him. Even if the Bills don't make the playoffs next year i'm ok with this, because I see this, finally as a true rebuilding year for this organization. Give Levy time. I have faith that he will restore this team to they way it was in the 90s. START BILLIEVING!

:P I have faith in you Levy! :w00t:

HE'S A VERY SMART MAN!  He'll find a way to turn this team around.  Give him time.  He needs to settle in.  So he hasn't been with the Bills for over a decade. That's ok!  U have to trust him.  Even if the Bills don't make the playoffs next year i'm ok with this, because I see this, finally as a true rebuilding year for this organization.  Give Levy time.  I have faith that he will restore this team to they way it was in the 90s.  START BILLIEVING!

:P I have faith in you Levy! :w00t:

556003[/snapback]

Also he is the coach that got us to all those superbowls! :lol:

They can say it the same way as people can say Marv will save the Team .... or JP will be a good (or bad) QB ...... or that our 1st round pick will be a difference maker (or bust).

In reality we really don't know for sure ..... however we all have our own internal prejedices, we all have our own internal "picture" of what makes a good or bad GM, coach, or player ........ we can FEEL Marv may stink as a GM, or FEEL he'd do well but we just won't know until we have a body of work to look at.

I myself would like to see him do well because I'm a Bills fan first and foremost, but also because I just like the guy ..... he's always seemed like a pretty straight shooter to me, and he has a personality and sense of humor that I enjoy. He's just the kind of guy I WANT to root for.

They can say it the same way as people can say Marv will save the Team .... or JP will be a good (or bad) QB ...... or that our 1st round pick will be a difference maker (or bust).

In reality we really don't know for sure ..... however we all have our own internal prejedices, we all have our own internal "picture" of what makes a good or bad GM, coach, or player ........ we can FEEL Marv may stink as a GM, or FEEL he'd do well but we just won't know until we have a body of work to look at.

I myself would like to see him do well because I'm a Bills fan first and foremost, but also because I just like the guy ..... he's always seemed like a pretty straight shooter to me, and he has a personality and sense of humor that I enjoy. He's just the kind of guy I WANT to root for.

556029[/snapback]

Levy will know which Qb to start next year! He after all coached Jim Kelly!

Levy will know which Qb to start next year!  He after all coached Jim Kelly!

556036[/snapback]

If you're thinking Kelly Holcomb or some other veteren QB is "the QB to start next year", you may be right .............. however .......... remember Marvs reluctance during his tenure to start inexperianced players.

This post isn't ment to say I favor starting KH over JP next year .... to be honest, I'm not sure what the heck I'd do if I were in MM/ML shoes.

My initial reaction to Levy being hired was apathy. What can an 80 year old man who’s more of less been out of the game for close to ten years have to offer the Bills as GM?

Thinking about it a little more I can see this working. Among Levy’s strengths are leadership, communication, and delegation – fine traits to have in a GM. If you surround yourself with the right people they’re probably the most important traits to have.

I think the big concern with Levy is personnel matters. First, he has no real scouting background, and second, is an 80 year old man capable of putting in the necessary time to do the job? Well, this is where the delegation part comes into play. From the sounds of it Tom Modrak will have a larger say in personnel. If he were named the GM I would not have had any strong objections. But instead Modrak will focus on the personnel matters which is his strength and not on the administrative side of being a GM which he doesn’t seem to have an interest in. This is a good thing to me. Of course, the concern with this is that Modrak has been around for the past few years and there’s an apparent lack of talent on the team. I don’t think we’ll ever get a great feel for how much of that is TD’s fault and how much is Modrak’s fault, but Modrak did fine with the Eagles when he was in charge there (of course TD did a fine job in Pittsburgh).

The part that I’m not crazy about is that Wilson is choosing Levy in large part because he’s comfortable with him. There was no league wide search for a GM so Wilson really has no idea if he would be the best candidate. The other consideration is age – how long can Levy reasonably be able to do the job, and is there a succession plan in place?

So overall, on a 1-10 scale with 1 being ‘Ugh’ and 10 being ‘Who-hoo!’ I’m probably at a 6 or 7 (and I’d say most people here are in the 2-3 range). I’m not sure it’s the best move, but I can definitely see how it could work out well. But that’s just dependent on Levy having good people surrounding him.

HE'S A VERY SMART MAN!  He'll find a way to turn this team around.  Give him time.  He needs to settle in.  So he hasn't been with the Bills for over a decade. That's ok!  U have to trust him.  Even if the Bills don't make the playoffs next year i'm ok with this, because I see this, finally as a true rebuilding year for this organization.  Give Levy time.  I have faith that he will restore this team to they way it was in the 90s.  START BILLIEVING!

:D I have faith in you Levy! 0:)

556003[/snapback]

Give him time? I'm not sure that we're the ones that need to be giving him time.

556029[/snapback]

You guys just don't seem to get it. So you think that who you "root for" is going to make the difference?

OK

I'm as afraid of Marv as GM as I'd be with any former NFL head coach with no NFL front office experience being named our GM. If it wasn't Marv, this board would be going crazy over the hiring of someone with Marv's lack of qualifications.

In the 1960s, Ralph Wilson felt comfortable hanging with Harvey Johnson too.

what i like about this is how marv said he took the job in good faith.no lawyares or agents.ralphie saying his deal dosnt even have a number on the years was nice as well.marv talking about how he is overseeing and will let tom modrak use his talent is a relief as well...this will work,go bills in'06 and welcome home marv

My initial reaction to Levy being hired was apathy.  What can an 80 year old man who’s more of less been out of the game for close to ten years have to offer the Bills as GM?

He hasn't been out of the "game."

Like I said, he has been doing analysis for the Bears here with Comcast. He has been following the league.

Didn't he come out of the booth when he was first hired back in the late 1980's.