MARV LEVY IS THE NEW GENERAL MANAGER!

Corp000085

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

come on, dog.  the bills cap problems from the late butler era (which were overhyped in any event) had to do with the truly unique qb issue they faced. they would have been fine without it.  as for, ostroski, who was probably paid more than he was worth, he had nothing to do with the bills' cap problems (he averaged around $2 mill a year, which was a pittance vis a vis the cap).

in any event, the cap is going way up this season, and the bills are in fine shape in any case.  moreeover there is no cap (as of yet) for 07. so the potential problem you're raising is merely theoretical.

555916[/snapback]

No. I think the cap problems were a direct result of intentionally saying "!@#$ the cap", which is what you seem to be saying. We got in trouble because Butler made a conscious decision to give it one more try to win the SB. So he overpaid for Holocek and Jones and Newman and Ostroski and Fina and I'm probably forgetting a couple, trying to keep all the pieces of the puzzle together for one more run. It almost worked but we lost. And he knew doomsday was coming so he left us in a shambles. He also totally disregarded the cap when he signed RJ to a ridiculous contract before he even played even though he wasnt a FA yet, and then restructured Flutie to a ridiulous contract while he already had one ridiculous QB contract. Which is also just cap-foolish.

I think people are complaining that not only does he not have any experience in it, he said he's not going to bother with it. That is a disaster, IMO.

556011[/snapback]

Kelly I don't think you understand the whole picture. Maybe it's because you live on the west coast! :P (just kidding). Marv is not going to be your typical "GM". There will be an administrative side, and a football ops side. Marv is OVERSEEING the football ops. Modrak will help him with college and some personell, along with the draft (Mularkey as well). When he says he doesn't care about the potholes it's not because they will be ignored. It's because somebody else will be doing it. Marv is a delegator. And hopefully still a very good one.

Kelly I don't think you understand the whole picture. Maybe it's because you live on the west coast!  :P  (just kidding).  Marv is not going to be your typical "GM". There will be an administrative side, and a football ops side. Marv is OVERSEEING the football ops. Modrak will help him with college and some personell, along with the draft (Mularkey as well). When he says he doesn't care about the potholes it's not because they will be ignored. It's because somebody else will be doing it. Marv is a delegator. And hopefully still a very good one.

556059[/snapback]

I have been in Buffalo the last month, and have listened very closely to all of this. You know as well as anyone I am the eternal optimist for the most part when it comes to the Bills. I am only going on what I directly see and specifically hear. Frankly, I like delegators, but I don't like a delegator when he is making decisions based on things he is unfamiliar with and brags that he is not going to be involved with. I also do not like the delegation of decision making to be split between a senile meddling owner itching to take a more active stance (however much I love the guy), a (what I consider to be) a slightly out of touch Hall of Famer, a solid behind the scenes guy who doesn't live or want to be in the office, a contract negotiator without a great track record IMO, and a lame duck coach everyone thinks is a complete moron. Delegating works great when you have sharp minds that know their stuff working in concert. This is the client list of Broadway Danny Rose.

I have been in Buffalo the last month, and have listened very closely to all of this. You know as well as anyone I am the eternal optimist for the most part when it comes to the Bills. I am only going on what I directly see and specifically here. Frankly, I like delegators, but I don't like a delegtaor when he is making decisions based on things he is unfamiliar with and brags that he is not going to be involved with. I also do not like the delegation of decision making to be split between a senile meddling owner itching to take a more active stance (however much I love the guy), a (what I consider to be) a slightly out of touch Hall of Famer, a solid behind the scenes guy who doesn't live or want to be in the office, a contract negotiator without a great track record IMO, and a lame duck coach everyone thinks is a complete moron. Delegating works great when you have sharp minds that know their stuff working in concert. This is the client list of Broadway Danny Rose.

556073[/snapback]

It's pretty early to be picking nits - not that I don't agree with you.

Marv said he's not bothering with either, he's letting other people do those pesky little things like negotiate contracts and work the cap.

556020[/snapback]

Sounds good to me. Let Jim Overdorf and Jeff Litman worry about it and have Marv concentrate on the product on the field.

Now, if you think it's really necessary, I suppose RW could sign Marv up for this! :P

Kelly I don't think you understand the whole picture. Maybe it's because you live on the west coast!  :P  (just kidding).  Marv is not going to be your typical "GM". There will be an administrative side, and a football ops side. Marv is OVERSEEING the football ops. Modrak will help him with college and some personell, along with the draft (Mularkey as well). When he says he doesn't care about the potholes it's not because they will be ignored. It's because somebody else will be doing it. Marv is a delegator. And hopefully still a very good one.

556059[/snapback]

Some tasks can't be delegated, and building a big-picture cap strategy is one of those tasks. I don't expect Marv to worry about every last $100,000 escalator clause, but I do expect him to be able to say to the cap/contract guy, "Player X is a big part of the future I envision for this team, while Player Y is a guy we can walk away from if he gets too greedy. We won't be good in 2006 no matter what we do, so don't mortage the future just yet. Having said that, I really don't want Player Z to hit free agency, so see if you can get him signed to a long-term deal. But don't overpay for him."

I guess I have to add my two cents in to this thread (as if anyone cares.) I admit I love Marv. With that said, I do have my reservations about him. However having read ALL of the posts I think the most logical point of view and how I belive it's meant to work is having everything delegated. It seems like Ralph is going 180 degrees from the "Structure" he had with Donahoe. And as you remember he kept referring to "restructuring." I think Marv will "oversee" things. I think Modrak will be the key scouting/evaluation guy. Overdorf will be the negotiator and Brandon will be the "business" guy dealing with marketing and putting asses in the seats. Will it work? I don't know. Each team has their way of doing it some work well and others don't. I guess if Modrak and staff can scout out the right rookies and the new pro player guy (whomever that will be) can scout the pros and Mularkey and Marv can work together and figure out whom they need and at what price they're willing to pay to get them it could turn out well. Then again even if Mularkey's given the "ingredients" he wants to cook the meal, if the recipe sucks then it doesn't matter....for now I'm going to remain positive that it will work out. I'm at least hoping we get some real offensive linemen that would be a step in the right direction.....

He answered most everything with bromides and pre-packaged one-liners and with all the clarity and specifics of a politician avoiding taking a stance.

555778[/snapback]

He answered like most people do in sports and politics. Tell them what they want to hear. I'm not surprised by his responses, or how they were delivered. I'll pass on judgement until after the draft and free agency signings. I'll give him that at least. :P

and a lame duck coach everyone thinks is a complete moron. Delegating works great when you have sharp minds that know their stuff working in concert. This is the client list of Broadway Danny Rose.

556073[/snapback]

funny line about bdr, but i certainly don't think mularkey is an idiot. i think he's a bright, creative coach who simply had a bad year. i'm glad he's coming back. call me crazy (and i'm sure people will).

funny line about bdr, but i certainly don't think mularkey is an idiot. i think he's a bright, creative coach who simply had a bad year. i'm glad he's coming back. call me crazy (and i'm sure people will).

556184[/snapback]

I don't either, but I have been wrong about a lot of things, like everyone else here. :D

Some tasks can't be delegated, and building a big-picture cap strategy is one of those tasks. I don't expect Marv to worry about every last $100,000 escalator clause, but I do expect him to be able to say to the cap/contract guy, "Player X is a big part of the future I envision for this team, while Player Y is a guy we can walk away from if he gets too greedy. We won't be good in 2006 no matter what we do, so don't mortage the future just yet. Having said that, I really don't want Player Z to hit free agency, so see if you can get him signed to a long-term deal. But don't overpay for him."

556079[/snapback]

Absolutely I agree with you on this. But we were really speaking in generalities ( I think).

I guess I have to add my two cents in to this thread (as if anyone cares.)  I admit I love Marv.  With that said, I do have my reservations about him.  However having read ALL of the posts I think the most logical point of view and how I belive it's meant to work is having everything delegated.  It seems like Ralph is going 180 degrees from the "Structure" he had with Donahoe.  And as you remember he kept referring to "restructuring."  I think Marv will "oversee" things.  I think Modrak will be the key scouting/evaluation guy.  Overdorf will be the negotiator  and Brandon will be the "business" guy dealing with marketing and putting asses in the seats.  Will it work?  I don't know.  Each team has their way of doing it some work well and others don't.  I guess if Modrak and staff can scout out the right rookies and the new pro player guy (whomever that will be) can scout the pros and Mularkey and Marv can work together and figure out whom they need and at what price they're willing to pay to get them it could turn out well.  Then again even if Mularkey's given the "ingredients" he wants to cook the meal, if the recipe sucks then it doesn't matter....for now I'm going to remain positive that it will work out.  I'm at least hoping we get some real offensive linemen that would be a step in the right direction.....

556086[/snapback]

Good post. Another thing I believe in and have actually experienced is that a "team" of individuals working together can be very powerful and can accent the positives while compensating for some of the "rough edges" that any of the individuals may have. It's really just the old Sum is greater than the parts concept. And today we learned (or validated for some) that this was not the concept under the previous structure of the team.