V. Young...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say he cemented himself as a top 2 pick

554967[/snapback]

Nothing like having the National Championship game as your own personal highlight reel.

I say again, Holy Crap!

Sadly, the bickering has long since begun over too many calls going Texas's way, but that still doesn't diminish this guys performance, and presence. He just refused to lose, and very importantly, it rubbed off on the rest of the team. Can't get the player, but it would be nice if some of his attitude could get bottled and shipped to Buffalo.

Best performance by a college player I can recall seeing, but....can the guy read a defense? Audible?

He's a freak of nature physically and seems like he has a great personality, but NFL QB-ing is a whole different game. Still, this performance will keep a lot of personnel guys and GMs stocked up on Tums for the next few months.

I find it funny, all those Redneck White Supremecy Groups in texas are cheering for a african american guy beatinf the crap out of USC. LOL

554779[/snapback]

Did it ever occur to you that you are just as prejudiced? Nothing like lumping a whole state into a "white supremacy" basket. :doh:

Best performance by a college player I can recall seeing, but....can the guy read a defense?  Audible? 

He's a freak of nature physically and seems like he has a great personality, but NFL QB-ing is a whole different game.  Still, this performance will keep a lot of personnel guys and GMs stocked up on Tums for the next few months.

555046[/snapback]

I think he worked with what he was given. I was caught up in the game, and didn't "analyze", but I had the feeling that USC didn't have a lot of respect for the Texas running game (except for no. 10) and played a lot of 5-6 DB figuring that Texas would have to get into a shoot out to keep up. That left a lot of room once the initial 3-4 man rush went by (picked up nicely all night, by the Texas O-line, Kudos to USC's too). Pretty obvious, and nothing to really audible into or out of. Often, the receivers were WELL covered, and Young took the soft center of the deployed defense and went at it. Then, add in the size and talent - he generally only had to make one guy miss, and he did. Then, more than once he ran right over the top of the "spy".

No, you'd never see that in a pro game, but mentally - the guy has the tools as well as the talent. Leinhart looked lost for a while, Young never did once, that I could tell.

Hate to make the comparison, but look at our "scrambling" QB and his mental work vs. what we watched last night. There's more to being a scrambling QB than an ability to run. Keep in mind, the guy had 200 yards rushing - but he also completed a LOT of passes into very good coverage. Before he ran, he checked off at least three receivers, sometimes four except for a very few times where he had the pressure. Key thing - no sacks, no Ints.

I, for one, was impressed.

Young and Bush haven't officially declared yet for what it's worth. That said if we had the 3rd pick and I'd be looking at a certain Left OT in Virginia over any of the guys you mentioned or a DE out of NC State.

554773[/snapback]

You are absolutely right. There is too much to be done on the offensive line,to go for any of the three. It would be a hard swallow, but I'd go for Ferguson as well.

I, for one, was impressed.

555136[/snapback]

I was, too.

But I thought the USC defensive front 7 and overall scheme were pretty lame for all the rep that Carroll has as a d-coordinator. And Young was never confused becuse he had the upmost confidence that he could pull the ball down on any passing play and get a guaranteed 7-10 yard gain with his legs.

I was, too. 

But I thought the USC defensive front 7 and overall scheme were pretty lame for all the rep that Carroll has as a d-coordinator.  And Young was never confused becuse he had the upmost confidence that he could pull the ball down on any passing play and get a guaranteed 7-10 yard gain with his legs.

555154[/snapback]

Don't forget, it wasn't just Young, either. Texas wanted that game more, and USC expected to win. Young wouldn't have had a 50 yard field if the Texas D hadn't stepped up big time in the crunch.

All in all, one of the best College bowl games I've seen in a long, long time. Appreciated the entertainment. Especially after having to flick back and forth between Bills games and the History or Cooking channel for the last few months just to keep my adrenalin up.

That was a great game last night. Couldn't ask for any more.

Vince Young is truly awesome, but I wonder what the pro's think of his throwing motion.

That TD by Reggie Bush was incredible. What an athlete. I was actually impressed more by LenDale White than Reggie Bush, who was bottled up most of the night.

Great Great game, one for the ages.

Young was impressive last night. Clearly a brilliant performance and a great college player.

However, do you all really think he is going to be able to do that in the NFL? The guy cannot throw and NFL defenders will be faster than him unlike the UCLA defense last night. So where do you put him? WR? RB? If you plan on him being your QB you are looking at at least 3 years of development time. He is not as good in the open field as Vick was in college and Vick had a much better arm (which is scary since Vick to this day is terribly inaccurate).

Young, Leinert and Bush all are going to be busts in the NFL. I said it, and stand by it. They will have some success, but won't live up to their hype.

Leinert doesn't have the velocity to make all the throws needed, and how could anyone justify using a number one overall pick on a guy who has never been an every down player (like Bush). In my opion, White was the most impressive running back on the field last night for the Trojans.

Don't misunderstand me, all three of these guys are physical specimines and tremendous college athletes with poise and leadership abilities. The performance by Young last night will be long remembered. However, none of them (Young included) have the total package to be superstars at their positions in the NFL.

(I'm not trying to be argumentitive, just wondering if other people see what I see or if I'm just crazy)

That was a great game last night.  Couldn't ask for any more. 

Vince Young is truly awesome, but I wonder what the pro's think of his throwing motion.

That TD by Reggie Bush was incredible.  What an athlete.  I was actually impressed by LenDale White more than Bush, who was bottled up most of the night.

Great Great game.

555176[/snapback]

Yup, White's stock went up as well. Hell of a game. Had USC won, he would/should have been MVP.

Now he can exchange XMAS cards with Thurman Thomas.