A Sad Indictment On TD, Marv WILL Find

Mark VI

Unfortunately, this is weak free agency year for O lineman.

554188[/snapback]

Wrong

Last year was an joke for OL. This year ? Lets' see..

Backus-OT-Detroit

Neal-G- Pats

Hutchinson-G- Seattle

Bentley-C/G - Saints

I can go on with another 3,4 starters but my daughter needs help with her homework.

Did Marv actually SAY he was going to fix the O-line?  Or is this an assumption?  I think it's a good assumption, but I'd like to know he actually said it.

554368[/snapback]

He hasn't even officialy been named the GM.

the trouble with GOOD FA olineman is that EVERYBODY wants them...  Don't be surprised if we don't land one.

554386[/snapback]

That's one of the things that pisses me off about the TD criticism. He needed to be fired, I am not just ball-washing him. But it's not as if he didnt know we needed linemen, that linemen are important, and didnt actively pursue them. He just didn't think Pat Williams was worth the money so he didnt resign him. That, in retrospect, killed us, because it now seems apparent that TD !@#$ed up because he didnt OVERpay. He also looked at the draft but guess what, there wasnt any studs left in the middle of the second round. He wasn't going to pay for a guy he and his scouts werent enamored with, so they drafted Parrish, a guy they liked. It's not as though he was screaming to his scouts, "Stay away from linemen! Especially if they're good!"

He probably over-estimated McNally and Krumrie's ability to get guys to play above themselves. He over-estimated (or trusted his coordinators and position coaches) that Ron Edwards and Justin Bannan would be serviceable, and Tim Anderson may surprise people. He brought in FA guards but they were over-priced and most of them sucked anyway. He just made a series of bad judgments on prices (Williams), back-ups (Edwards), coaches and free agents. And for that he is now unemployed. But it was a series of medium mistakes that caused an avalanche, not a total lack of appreciation or understanding of basic football.

I really liked Jeff Backus coming out of college, but since he's found his way to Detroit I really havent followed his career that much.  Any idea how he's adjusted to the NFL game?

554224[/snapback]

Backus is having huge issues in Detroit (I live in Ann Arbor now). They really wanted to love him here (being a Michigan guy and all) but he's being viewed as a huge disappointment (maybe even a 'bust'). Not sure I'd want to seem him on the Bills....

d

He just made a series of bad judgments on prices (Williams), back-ups (Edwards), coaches and free agents.

554416[/snapback]

Williams got paid for the slot he was drafted in, a draft which we will be overpaying for with 8th pick. If he had good coaches and competent guard next to him then he would have done better but by the time he DID turn it around, he was injured this year and never recovered from injuries enough to take back his position. Peters is not much of aa run blocker which has hurt our running game.

Modrak is still here. That's why I don't panic. Who do you think will be running the draft or IDing UFA's in March. Marv ? Please...

I still wouldn't be surprised if someone else was hired along with Marv.

554839[/snapback]

Nice avatar, Mark. :doh:

Williams got paid for the slot he was drafted in, a draft which we will be overpaying for with 8th pick.  If he had good coaches and competent guard next to him then he would have done better but by the time he DID turn it around, he was injured this year and never recovered from injuries enough to take back his position.  Peters is not much of aa run blocker which has hurt our running game.

554822[/snapback]

That Williams I meant was Pat Williams I referred to above, as in we probably should have overpaid for him if we had no one else. I don't fault TD too much for the Mike Williams deal, although before the draft I wanted Mckinnie (because I had say him one game live when he was amazing, not because I thought it was a no brainer between he and Bike Mike).

That Williams I meant was Pat Williams I referred to above, as in we probably should have overpaid for him if we had no one else. I don't fault TD too much for the Mike Williams deal, although before the draft I wanted Mckinnie (because I had say him one game live when he was amazing, not because I thought it was a no brainer between he and Bike Mike).

554996[/snapback]

You mean because of all the Vikings' defensive success against quality opponents with Williams and an even more dominant tackle next to him? :lol:

You mean because of all the Vikings' defensive success against quality opponents with Williams and an even more dominant tackle next to him? :lol:

555256[/snapback]

No, because Phat Pat is a big fat guy that takes up space and can hold his ground on blocks. That taking up space allows Phat Sam to do what he does best, either shoot up the middle or take up a lot more space without giving ground, allowing the linebackers clear shots to the runners. With Phat Pat gone, and Ron Edwards here, or Justin Bannan or the early season Tim Anderson, there was no fat guy to take up space, but rather skinny guys pushed all over the field. And when Phat Sam did his shooting up the gap thing, or free lancing, which he is very wont to do, and guessed wrong, which was often, 3 yard gains became 7 yard gains or 53 yard bursts up enormous holes. And suddenly our entire defense collapsed. So in retrospect, we should have overpaid for a big fat guy.

I don't get this whole "over paying" thing everybody is talking about ........ Quality football players cost exactly what quality football players cost, plain and simple. While I will agree that sometimes a diamond in the rough can be found who will play for chump change ........ by and large ....... cheap imitations of a football player are just cheap.

Pat Williams was NOT over paid ..... we just couldn't (or wouldn't) find a way to pay him what he was worth.

IMHO ..... a football team needs to build around a nucleus of solid quality players ... at contract time the team MUST find ways to retain their services, or replace them with equal or greater quality.