The Buffalo Bills will not make the 2006 playoffs.

IowaBills

the buffalo bills will not make the playoffs in 2006. that being said, I hope that whomever is the head coach next year will have enough sense to realize that fact, and to approach the season accordingly. Take a look at the Miami Dolphins as an example. A new head coach comes in, knows his team sucks, and decides to try to set smaller goals, such as improving from game to game, rather than setting a large goal of making the playoffs, or even winning games in Saban's case. Let's be honest, we have a terrible o-line, a smallish receiver corps, no depth in the backfield, question marks at quarterback, an aging and rapidly declining defense, and other problems. WE ARE NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS NEXT YEAR PEOPLE! So, let's instead try to build for the future next year instead of making drastic changes game in and game out to try to eek out wins. We have to establish a team identity, and we have to establish our young players because after this offseason, they are essentially all we will have going into next year. Now I think this starts with us firmly entrenching JP Losman as the starting quarterback next year, and STICKING WITH HIM through his ups and downs. Anyone who isn't on the boat, no matter how good they are, should be jettisoned (Adams, Fletcher, hell Spikes if necessary). Look at what Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin did. They saw that while their veteran QBs could lead them to 8 or 9 wins a year for the next few years, they could do more with their young, inexperienced yet very talented QBs. Now look where both teams are. People, Kelly Holcomb has never started for an NFL team for a reason. He will not save our team. So instead, why don't we give the reins to JP for 3 years, see where's he's at, and if he doesn't have it, he doesn't have it. Wouldn't you rather go 4-12, 8-8, 10-6 with JP over the next few years than go 8-8 for the next 3 years with Kelly Holcomb? Isn't the consensus that QBs in the NFL typically don't get really comfortable in an offense until they've been starting and playing in the same offense for about 2 to 3 years? So then why are so many people ready to write JP off after NINE GAMES? Yes he's been terrible at times (new england game) but he's also had moments of brilliance (KC game), which makes him inconsistent. Can you imagine the nerve of a rookie QB to be inconsistent? Jeez. Go to espn.com and compare JP's first year stats to Peyton Manning's first year, to Byron Leftwich's first year, to ANY rookie QBs first year and you'll see that they all were around 50% completion rate with a 1:1 TD/int ratio. JP had a typical season for a rookie QB, despite the fact that he was essentially set up to fail by management and the head coach. So let's not get crazy, let's build our team from the ground up, and let's start by establishing whether our franchise quarterback really is our franchise quarterback. You can't find that out in 9 games, when it usually takes 3 years for a QB to get comfortable. Look how long it took Brees to get comfortable, it took Peyton 2 full years of starting before the game really slowed down for him, it took Drew Brees 4 years. Not every QB is named Ben Roethlisberger (and not every QB gets drafted by a playoff caliber team with a dominant running game, offensive line and defense, where your only job is to not throw picks and practice your handoff technique). GIVE THE KID SOME TIME, AND LET'S REALLY SEE WHAT HE'S GOT.

With all that is said above, I don't believe Mike Mularkey is the man to lead our franchise out of the wilderness. He did so little with a decent amount of talent, that I can't imagine him all of a sudden becoming a great playcaller next year. He has to go, and I think the only candidate I could accept replacing him is Kirk Ferentz. I know about all the retread head coaches, but I don't want them. I'm looking at John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Nick Saban, Jim Mora and all these other young head coaches who are at their first jobs, and I think that that is the way to go if you have a franchise that is struggling to find an identity. I am biased because I live in Iowa City, but I've gotten to see Ferentz resurrect the Iowa program, and do it by simply running the ball and playing great defense. I think he's the man for the Bills because he commands the respect of his players, he is very very humble, he's got a sense of humor and he is very much the head coach. If he messes up, he takes responsibility for it. I guarantee you Eric Moulds and Sam Adams would have had absolutely no say in who was the starting QB for the Bills if Kirk Ferentz was the head coach. So I think it's time for a new era of Bills football, and I would love to see it begin next year, with the first year of Kirk Ferentz as the head coach, JP Losman starting all 16 games, Willis McGahee getting 25 carries every game, and other crucial things that need to happen for our Bills to start becoming a team again.

the buffalo bills will not make the playoffs in 2006.  that being said, I hope that whomever is the head coach next year will have enough sense to realize that fact, and to approach the season accordingly.  Take a look at the Miami Dolphins as an example.  A new head coach comes in, knows his team sucks, and decides to try to set smaller goals, such as improving from game to game, rather than setting a large goal of making the playoffs, or even winning games in Saban's case.  Let's be honest, we have a terrible o-line, a smallish receiver corps, no depth in the backfield, question marks at quarterback, an aging and rapidly declining defense, and other problems.  WE ARE NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS NEXT YEAR PEOPLE!  So, let's instead try to build for the future next year instead of making drastic changes game in and game out to try to eek out wins.  We have to establish a team identity, and we have to establish our young players because after this offseason, they are essentially all we will have going into next year.  Now I think this starts with us firmly entrenching JP Losman as the starting quarterback next year, and STICKING WITH HIM through his ups and downs.  Anyone who isn't on the boat, no matter how good they are, should be jettisoned (Adams, Fletcher, hell Spikes if necessary).  Look at what Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin did.  They saw that while their veteran QBs could lead them to 8 or 9 wins a year for the next few years, they could do more with their young, inexperienced yet very talented QBs.  Now look where both teams are.  People, Kelly Holcomb has never started for an NFL team for a reason.  He will not save our team.  So instead, why don't we give the reins to JP for 3 years, see where's he's at, and if he doesn't have it, he doesn't have it.  Wouldn't you rather go 4-12, 8-8, 10-6 with JP over the next few years than go 8-8 for the next 3 years with Kelly Holcomb?  Isn't the consensus that QBs in the NFL typically don't get really comfortable in an offense until they've been starting and playing in the same offense for about 2 to 3 years?  So then why are so many people ready to write JP off after NINE GAMES?  Yes he's been terrible at times (new england game) but he's also had moments of brilliance (KC game), which makes him inconsistent.  Can you imagine the nerve of a rookie QB to be inconsistent?  Jeez.  Go to espn.com and compare JP's first year stats to Peyton Manning's first year, to Byron Leftwich's first year, to ANY rookie QBs first year and you'll see that they all were around 50% completion rate with a 1:1 TD/int ratio.  JP had a typical season for a rookie QB, despite the fact that he was essentially set up to fail by management and the head coach.  So let's not get crazy, let's build our team from the ground up, and let's start by establishing whether our franchise quarterback really is our franchise quarterback.  You can't find that out in 9 games, when it usually takes 3 years for a QB to get comfortable.  Look how long it took Brees to get comfortable, it took Peyton 2 full years of starting before the game really slowed down for him, it took Drew Brees 4 years.  Not every QB is named Ben Roethlisberger (and not every QB gets drafted by a playoff caliber team with a dominant running game, offensive line and defense, where your only job is to not throw picks and practice your handoff technique).  GIVE THE KID SOME TIME, AND LET'S REALLY SEE WHAT HE'S GOT. 

With all that is said above, I don't believe Mike Mularkey is the man to lead our franchise out of the wilderness.  He did so little with a decent amount of talent, that I can't imagine him all of a sudden becoming a great playcaller next year.  He has to go, and I think the only candidate I could accept replacing him is Kirk Ferentz.  I know about all the retread head coaches, but I don't want them.  I'm looking at John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Nick Saban, Jim Mora and all these other young head coaches who are at their first jobs, and I think that that is the way to go if you have a franchise that is struggling to find an identity.  I am biased because I live in Iowa City, but I've gotten to see Ferentz resurrect the Iowa program, and do it by simply running the ball and playing great defense.  I think he's the man for the Bills because he commands the respect of his players, he is very very humble, he's got a sense of humor and he is very much the head coach.  If he messes up, he takes responsibility for it.  I guarantee you Eric Moulds and Sam Adams would have had absolutely no say in who was the starting QB for the Bills if Kirk Ferentz was the head coach.  So I think it's time for a new era of Bills football, and I would love to see it begin next year, with the first year of Kirk Ferentz as the head coach, JP Losman starting all 16 games, Willis McGahee getting 25 carries every game, and other crucial things that need to happen for our Bills to start becoming a team again.

553834[/snapback]

So where'd you pick up your crystal ball? I've been meaning to get one myself.

I said something quite similar just about a year ago (not so wordy though). And that is why I'm in favor of TD and MM being fired now. In my opinion, they did nothing to help the team grow over the past year. In fact, I think they may have actually set the team back with all the inconsistent and poor decision making.

With all that is said above, I don't believe Mike Mularkey is the man to lead our franchise out of the wilderness.  He did so little with a decent amount of talent,

553834[/snapback]

Oh really? Look at the 2005 Bills roster. Nobody on that offensive line deserves to be a starter, including Jason Peters. Nobody on the defensive line deserves to be a starter, except maybe Aaron Schobel. With TD going one for nine in the trenches (where the game is won or lost), you can't expect much.

I agree that the Bills will not make the playoffs in 2006...and looking at the schedule, plus the fact that MM is now confirmed as the Head Coach and assuming JP will get the majority of the starts, I also agree to not expect much more than a

5-11 season in 2006.

HOME

Jacksonville

Tennessee

Green Bay

Minnesota

AFC West (Chargers)

Pats

Jets

Miami

AWAY

Houston

Indianapolis

Chicago

Detroit

AFC North (Browns or Ravens)

Pats

Jets

Miami

I said something quite similar just about a year ago (not so wordy though).  And that is why I'm in favor of TD and MM being fired now.  In my opinion, they did nothing to help the team grow over the past year.  In fact, I think they may have actually set the team back with all the inconsistent and poor decision making.

553861[/snapback]

Nice post, I think the fans are zero confidence with this owner and management.

mike mularky buys into marvs koolade,we have a very solid draft and offseason free agent class and buffalo gets its good karma back and we go straight to the superbowl and then marv re retires lol! go bills in'06 and welcome home marv