Marv's past

scribo

I am not real sure about how much Marv Levy had to do with building the Superbowl teams, but I know he was clearly credited with making the decision to daraft Shane Conlan and sign Steve Tasker off waivers. He was also credited with fighting hard to draft Thurman Thomas.

I am really hoping that at least one sports reporter covering the Bills will be ringing Bill Polian's phone off the hook, trying to get a glimmer of how much input Levy really had in the draft "war room," during free agency, in trades, etc.

A little Marv history I dug up with Google...

When Levy first became an NFL head coach in 1978, the first player he drafted for Kansas City was defensive end Art Still. That went well.

From Marv's Hall of Fame bio: The year after drafting Thurman, Levy found himself in disagreement with Norm Pollum, the Bills' national scout and former Director of Player Personnel. Pollum, for whom Marv had great respect, was urging him to take a defensive end. However, Levy questioned the player's character.

As the draft approached, Levy and Pollom engaged in a discussion that lasted five hours. Finally Pollom turned to Marv and stated, "If you take this guy, Marv, he'll end up in the Pro Bowl!"

Levy responded, "I want a guy who'll end up in the Super Bowl."

And with that, the Bills selected Levy's choice of Penn State linebacker Shane Conlan, who went on to play in three Super Bowls.

I remember the following quote from the first day of every training camp: "The first thing I did when we got to training camp," Levy always said, "was to tell them it was a new season and to forget everything that happened the year before." -- That's what we need.

"Everyone wants to win. The special person has the will to prepare to win."

"What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say."

"Adversity is an opportunity for heroism."

"Expect rejection but expect more to overcome it."

"Gentlemen, where would you rather be than right here right now?"

Look at the first eight picks in the 1987 NFL draft.

Vinny Testaverde.

Cornelius Bennett.

Alonzo Highsmith.

Brent Fullwood.

Mike Junkin.

Kelly Stouffer.

Reggie Rogers.

Shane Conlan.

Just two of those guys panned out as worthy of being top eight picks, and both played the majority of their careers with the Bills.

For good measure, the Bills took Nate Odomes with the first pick of the second round (#29 overall; that would be a first-rounder today).

And took Jamie Mueller in the fourth round, Keith McKeller in the ninth round, and House Ballard in the twelfth.

House Ballard in the twelfth round. And TD picked Mike Williams #4 overall.

From Marv's Hall of Fame bio: The year after drafting Thurman, Levy found himself in disagreement with Norm Pollum, the Bills' national scout and former Director of Player Personnel. Pollum, for whom Marv had great respect, was urging him to take a defensive end. However, Levy questioned the player's character.

As the draft approached, Levy and Pollom engaged in a discussion that lasted five hours. Finally Pollom turned to Marv and stated, "If you take this guy, Marv, he'll end up in the Pro Bowl!"

And with that, the Bills selected Levy's choice of Penn State linebacker Shane Conlan, who went on to play in three Super Bowls.

552754[/snapback]

any idea who the DE was?

I am not real sure about how much Marv Levy had to do with building the Superbowl teams, but I know he was clearly credited with making the decision to daraft Shane Conlan and sign Steve Tasker off waivers. He was also credited with fighting hard to draft Thurman Thomas.

I am really hoping that at least one sports reporter covering the Bills will be ringing Bill Polian's phone off the hook, trying to get a glimmer of how much input Levy really had in the draft "war room," during free agency, in trades, etc.

A little Marv history I dug up with Google...

When Levy first became an NFL head coach in 1978, the first player he drafted for Kansas City was defensive end Art Still. That went well.

I remember the following quote from the first day of every training camp: "The first thing I did when we got to training camp," Levy always said, "was to tell them it was a new season and to forget everything that happened the year before." -- That's what we need.

"Everyone wants to win. The special person has the will to prepare to win."

"What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say."

"Adversity is an opportunity for heroism."

"Expect rejection but expect more to overcome it."

"Gentlemen, where would you rather be than right here right now?"

552754[/snapback]

Thanks for sharing this info. from Google....

It doesn't sound like bad maxims for an organization to live by...

why not strive for greatness rather being stuck in mediocrity.

Polian owes his whole NFL career to Marv....what do you think he's going to say about him.

Polian and his brother were producing an independent scouting report service on players at second tier Mid-western schools in the 1970s (his day job was selling ad space in a local farm publication, BTW) and Levy was his first "big time" customer when he was HC of the Alouettes (if you can call the CFL big time). They developed a strong friendship and the rest is history...

... and sign Steve Tasker off waivers.

552754[/snapback]

Bzzzzt!

That was Bill Polian - architect of those Super Bowl teams and multiple winner of the NFL Executive of the year award. He was the one who scanned the waiver wire every single night and snatched him the second he became available. It was believed that Houston tried to sneak him through one night, but Polian was ever vigilent.

Bzzzzt!

That was Bill Polian - architect of those Super Bowl teams and multiple winner of the NFL Executive of the year award. He was the one who scanned the waiver wire every single night and snatched him the second he became available. It was believed that Houston tried to sneak him through one night, but Polian was ever vigilent.

552802[/snapback]

Yeah, that was ancient history. What's Bill Polian done lately?

I would guess that the DE was Reggie Rogers. I think he had a cup of coffee with the Bills in '91 or so...

552820[/snapback]

Rogers also was drafted one slot ahead of Conlan. But didn't the Bills trade down to #8 to take Conlan?

Look at the first eight picks in the 1987 NFL draft.

Vinny Testaverde.

Cornelius Bennett.

Alonzo Highsmith.

Brent Fullwood.

Mike Junkin.

Kelly Stouffer.

Reggie Rogers.

Shane Conlan.

Just two of those guys panned out as worthy of being top eight picks, and both played the majority of their careers with the Bills.

For good measure, the Bills took Nate Odomes with the first pick of the second round (#29 overall; that would be a first-rounder today).

552775[/snapback]

Passed on Rod Woodson in 1987 for Shane Conlan. :D Hindsight...off with his head! :lol:

Bzzzzt!

552802[/snapback]

If that's the case, my bad. I was going off this Steve Tasker - Special Teamer

The former wide receiver, who spent 12 years with the Bills, landed in Upstate New York thanks to a recommendation from an assistant coach and waiver-wire scouring Marv Levy and grew into one of the best special teams players in NFL history.

I thought NFLPlayers.com was a creditable source.

Bzzzzt!

552802[/snapback]

My recollection of it was that teams did this all the time, and there was somewhat of an unwritten rule amongst teams that they would let other teams do it. And the Bills, Polian as you cited, said fuggit and took Tasker anyway when the Oilers were trying to sneak him through, which pissed the Oilers off royally.

My recollection of it was that teams did this all the time, and there was somewhat of an unwritten rule amongst teams that they would let other teams do it. And the Bills, Polian as you cited, said fuggit and took Tasker anyway when the Oilers were trying to sneak him through, which pissed the Oilers off royally.

552831[/snapback]

Didn't the Bills do this with Tasker and Lofton later in Tasker's career?

"Compounding the internal strife, the strike-shortened 1982 season was, to say the least, a disruptive and divisive one for pro football. The Kansas City Chiefs were no exception. Suddenly, the team that had showed such promise seemed to disintegrate, as the season was ripped apart with player dissention and labor unrest. After finishing a disappointing 3-6, Levy was fired."

History's a funny thing. Not saying MM is going to suddenly blossom, but none of us know for sure what the future holds...

I can understand the mistake, but what about Marv would ever scream "waiver-wire scourer"?  :D

That was Polian.

552876[/snapback]

not that i have a dog in this fight because i agree that polian was the architect overall, but tasker's first season was 1986, and levy didn't come on board as coach until midway through it. however, he did announce bills preseason games that year and was working for them in some capacity. so since he wasn't doing much else at the time, he may have indeed been scouring the waiver wires.