TD seemed like a class guy...

mikecole1

McGahee was another mistake...he picked up a player that couldn't develop or even run his first year

if he wanted help at RB, he could've picked a surer commodity in Larry Johnson (a better bet since there was no guarantee that Willis could even return to form)

551793[/snapback]

Willis a mistake? This site can be so surreal sometimes.

There are plenty of actual mistakes he made as discussed here previously. This was not one of them. Trade the picks and Willis would have just started challenging Priest Holmes late last season and on into this season, and behind the top rushing line in football would probably have atleast the same yardage as Johnson this season. Johnson is a special football player, NOW. Honestly I'm not sure if Bills fans would have had the patience to allow him to mature for 3 seasons before grabbing the #1 role.

Willis a mistake? This site can be so surreal sometimes.

There are plenty of actual mistakes he made as discussed here previously. This was not one of them. Trade the picks and Willis would have just started challenging Priest Holmes late last season and on into this season, and behind the top rushing line in football would probably have atleast the same yardage as Johnson this season. Johnson is a special football player, NOW. Honestly I'm not sure if Bills fans would have had the patience to allow him to mature for 3 seasons before grabbing the #1 role.

551806[/snapback]

Willis was not a mistake because he was replacing a drug addict. A case could even be made that he was a need pick. I guess the question is, would we have been better off with Willis or Steinbech? Tough call, no?

Here is another abstract question.....would we be better off right now with Clements and Tennesee's 3rd, or Steve Hutchinson?

There's nothing surreal about it...I'm not saying his existence is a mistake to the human race or anything...just that Donahoe's picking him over larry johnson was a mistake. Rather than talk about a player that gave it his all and was a bright shining star on the team, after this season, willis' performance raises plenty of doubt. There's still potential he could pan out with a better line and prove that he's just as good (if not better) a pick than larry johnson, but right now he's nowhere close to LJ. He's slow, can't break tackles, isn't useful in the passing game, appears to get hurt at least once a game and is often winded on third down. Even if we grant him the assumption that the coaches are complete morons, if he was really such a fantastic weapon, even the biggest idiot would want him on the field at all times.

so...disregarding all these other factors that we can't control or surmise, looking at both players, LJ is obviously a much better player than McGahee and Donahoe (by not picking him and grabbing the gimp that at the time might not fully rehabilitate to football shape) made a mistake

Willis was not a mistake because he was replacing a drug addict. A case could even be made that he was a need pick.

551830[/snapback]

if we needed a replacement runningback so bad, we should've gone with one that had 2 working legs

Both interesting points to be sure guys, but both points ultimately fall into the hindsight discussions (as I engaged in admitedly) that freckle this board. All I believe you can look at with that is what would you have done, at that time, with only the knowledge at hand then? Cinci was smart to draft Levi for example, but there were evaluators abround who scoffed at the selection as high as it was. I do remember the thought of drafting Larry Johnson at the time and the first thing, right or wrong, that came to me was the curse of the Penn state runningback... which has since been broken. :unsure:

And then you'd be sitting there typing instead of wasting a pick on Larry Johnson Donahoe should've made a better choice in Mcgahee. The fact is Larry Johnson the majority of time can run 3-4 yards pas the line of scrimmage before even being touched. It must be real difficult to run through open holes. It's no suprise to me that Johnson is putting up Priest Holmes type stats behind the same line, and I highly doubt he would be doing that here. It all starts up front. It's the golden rule of winning football.

holy smokes...all i'm saying (and asking) is, all assumptions aside, CURRENTLY, who looks like the better runningback? forget what system/coach/o-line he plays behind...who is looking like the better pick?

if you can say mcgahee, then that's something surreal

and if we want to play the hindsight angle, Donahoe said he picked the best player on the board at the time, regardless of need...well, now everyone is saying that the o-line is too poor for any QB or RB to succeed behind SO, the mcgahee pick would also look like a mistake because we should've shored up the o-line...at the time, travis henry was being lauded as a warrior of sorts because he ran with heart (and a broken leg)...there was very little mentioned about his drug problem (only jokes about him loving underage girls at gas stations)

holy smokes...all i'm saying (and asking) is, all assumptions aside, CURRENTLY, who looks like the better runningback? forget what system/coach/o-line he plays behind...who is looking like the better pick?

if you can say mcgahee, then that's something surreal

551847[/snapback]

Larry Johnson looks like the better pick. I just disagree that it was one of donahoes bigger mistakes. Now trading 3 picks for JP Losman on the other hand....... :unsure:

Not to come off as a flake but RJ over Flutie was his first stupid mistake; Lardass Williams over McKinnie was the next

551537[/snapback]

Only a troll could make such a bombastic statement! Nate was taken over McKinnie dumbass!!! Get your facts straight, unless you want to expose yourself as very idiotic. Oops, too late. :unsure:

I'll take Clements over a backup tackle any day of the week.

Only a troll could make such a bombastic statement!  Nate was taken over McKinnie dumbass!!!  Get your facts straight, unless you want to expose yourself as very idiotic.  Oops, too late.    :unsure:

I'll take Clements over a backup tackle any day of the week.

551852[/snapback]

no offense but nate was taken 2001. Williams and McKinnie were 2002 draft picks. We took williams over mckinnie.

"Save your postage." -Tom Donahoe

551917[/snapback]

how could i forget this one?

I think that wherever TD surfaces next, we should all mail him a book of stamps. $7.50 for a worthy cause of showing an arrogant prick not to !@#$ with us!

Didn't the Chargers go 5-11 that year? Whoop de doo.

551633[/snapback]

well... that SD year wasn't that bad...

Year  Team  G  GS  Att  Comp  Pct  Yards  YPA  Lg  TD  Int  Tkld  20+  40+  Rate
1998	Buffalo Bills	13	10	354	202	57.1	2711	7.66	84	20	11	12/78	36	8	87.4
1999	Buffalo Bills	15	15	478	264	55.2	3171	6.63	54	19	16	26/176	40	7	75.1
2000	Buffalo Bills	11	5	231	132	57.1	1700	7.36	52	8	3	10/68	29	4	86.5
2001	San Diego Chargers	16	16	521	294	56.4	3464	6.65	78	15	18	25/168	43	4	72.0

McKinnie hasn't exactly excelled, and there was no right answer with Johnson and FLutie- neither was a long term solution. Trading for Bledsoe was a mistake

551546[/snapback]

Trading for Bledsoe itself was not a mistake....He sold another 5000 season

tickets.....The mistake was giving up our 1st rounder.....especially when we

could have had Drew for free.....there was no one bidding for him....and

In fact everything about bledsoe was kind of mistake...

1. Trading the 1st rounder for him.

2. Not putting the right personnel (good OL) for Drew to succeed

3. Extending his contract by paying the bonus and then cutting him at

the end of the season put a big salary cap burden for this season, especially

considering that we cut him in March rather than after June 1st.

4. Not seeking a trade for DB....I did not really understand this....We cut him

early (in respecting a great player) so that he can latch on to another team

and got nothing for him...and in the sasme year we show no respect to

a RB who had carried for 1300+ yards for 2 consecutive seasons and held on

to him (without givine him any respect or a chance to latch on to another team)

and finally traded him to the RB needy Titans...Why couldn't we have done

the same thing to Drew and got a draft pick for that.....Didn't Bellichek do

the same thing....It is not as if the cap hit would have been any different....

That blows my mind even today...why TD and the bills showed one way to

one player and played hard ball with another (essentially messing up with

his career...imagine....may be TH flourishes in Arizona with the kind of RBs

they have had)......Seems to be prejudiced actions...

And then you'd be sitting there typing instead of wasting a pick on Larry Johnson Donahoe should've made a better choice in Mcgahee.  The fact is Larry Johnson the majority of time can run 3-4 yards pas the line of scrimmage before even being touched.  It must be real difficult to run through open holes.  It's no suprise to me that Johnson is putting up Priest Holmes type stats behind the same line, and I highly doubt he would be doing that here.  It all starts up front.  It's the golden rule of winning football.

551845[/snapback]

i agree, but there is a difference -- johnson makes the last man miss, and mcgahee doesn't. put simply, he's a lot faster.

by the way, as for the curse of the penn state running back, tell that to franco harris and lydell mitchell.