Fred Smoot

JDG

Fred Smoot, who has played defensive back for the past year with the Minnesota Vikings, and whose defensive coordinator has interviewed for the Vikings' HC position, was asked if he had any suggestions for Wilf.

"Gregg Williams," Smoot said. "Gregg Williams. Gregg Williams. Gregg Williams. That one year I had with him, he did a lot and he taught me a lot about football."

Fred Smoot played for Gregg Williams last year in Washington.

JDG

Fred Smoot, who has played defensive back for the past year with the Minnesota Vikings, and whose defensive coordinator has interviewed for the Vikings' HC position, was asked if he had any suggestions for Wilf.

"Gregg Williams," Smoot said. "Gregg Williams. Gregg Williams. Gregg Williams. That one year I had with him, he did a lot and he taught me a lot about football."

JDG

551231[/snapback]

He's a very good defensive coordinator

Gregg Williams taught me something about football too-that he's not NFL head coaching material.

I think I've learned the same thing about Mularkey these past 2 years.

JDG

551231[/snapback]

Greg Williams is a good defensive coordinator but Fred "Caude Hednry" Smoot shouldn't be giving advice to anyone!!!!!

Gregg Williams taught me something about football too-that he's not NFL head coaching material.

I think I've learned the same thing about Mularkey these past 2 years.

551245[/snapback]

Oh look, more TSW hate towards anyone who had anything to do with the Bills and then left. B-)

Oh look, more TSW hate towards anyone who had anything to do with the Bills and then left.  B-)

551582[/snapback]

I don't hate Gregg Williams. I just hate seeing him try to be a head coach. Ditto Wade Phillips. Great DC's I'd take in a heartbeat...but anyone who hires them as a head coach again ought to be staked down and trampled by a herd of llamas.

I don't hate Gregg Williams.  I just hate seeing him try to be a head coach.  Ditto Wade Phillips.  Great DC's I'd take in a heartbeat...but anyone who hires them as a head coach again ought to be staked down and trampled by a herd of llamas.

551583[/snapback]

Well, considering we've sucked for 10 years... How can you be sure it's GW's fault? And on top of that, people CAN learn - and GW has had a chance to learn from an HOF coach. Players all love playing for him (more than we can say for Mularky this year...), so I think he's got a shot.

CW

Wade Phillips got us to the playoffs twice. Never had a losing season. I fail to see how he has been a failure as a HC.

551620[/snapback]

I don't think Wade did such a bad job, it just never seemed like he fit in well. But, he is a great coordinator.

Wade Phillips got us to the playoffs twice. Never had a losing season. I fail to see how he has been a failure as a HC.

551620[/snapback]

Ever notice how his teams tend to collapse into complete disarray?

A head coach's job is more than just X's and O's. There's also dealing with the egos of a few dozen primma donnas every single day for the better part of the year. Phillips has now demonstrated with two different teams that he's nearly completely incapable of managing that not inconsiderable part of the job. The only benefit Williams (and Mularkey, for that matter) has over him is that he hasn't !@#$ed up his second chance yet.

I remember when Smoot was in college, Mississippi State had upset Florida, and after the game Smoot went up to Spurrier and said "too bad there isn't 5 quarters." and it caused quite a stir.

551632[/snapback]

If there wasn't football, Smoot would be dead or dealing...

JDG

551231[/snapback]

Guys like Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, Gregg Williams are excellent coordinators who just don't have it to be a head coach. This is why I'd prefer someone with *head coaching* experience and not be given 3-4 years to learn on the job.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if GW got a job somewhere else (we know now that likely won't happen for a few years) and was successful. He knows the Xs and Os well, but just made bad decisions in Buffalo. I'd be willing to see how he does with another HC chance - just not in Buffalo.

Phillips was bad in Denver and probably lucky in Buffalo...he inherited Marv's team and had a good GM to go with it, but mishandled the QB controversy, let Bruce DeHaven be the scapegoat for the Music City Miracle :unsure: , and hired someone wtih ZERO coaching experience to be ST coach. But as a coordinator, he was excellent in Denver, Buffalo, and now with San Diego.

Guys like Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, Gregg Williams are excellent coordinators who just don't have it to be a head coach. This is why I'd prefer someone with *head coaching* experience and not be given 3-4 years to learn on the job.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if GW got a job somewhere else (we know now that likely won't happen for a  few years) and was successful. He knows the Xs and Os well, but just made bad decisions in Buffalo. I'd be willing to see how he does with another HC chance - just not in Buffalo.

Phillips was bad in Denver and probably lucky in Buffalo...he inherited Marv's team and had a good GM to go with it, but mishandled the QB controversy, let Bruce DeHaven be the scapegoat for the Music City Miracle  :unsure: , and hired someone wtih ZERO coaching experience to be ST coach. But as a coordinator, he was excellent in Denver, Buffalo, and now with San Diego.

551647[/snapback]

BTW, Greg just signed a 3 year extension. He is now off the clock.