ESPN Mock draft - updated today

VABills

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we pass up Mario..bad thing, bad things.

551221[/snapback]

If we pass on Mario Williams, I'll personally find a way to B word slap the new GM.

551226[/snapback]

If we pass on Mario Williams, ditto on the B word-slap.

551235[/snapback]

super mario would be preferred

551889[/snapback]

I'll ride the prevailing wind and concur.  We haven't been a force on the edge since...well, the last time we were a force.  It'd be nice to see some athleticism return to that position.

I'll agree that our draft should be overwhelmed with big-nasties, but the draft is deep enough on both sides that we could either grab an elite DE and build the interior with our remaining three first day choices (more if the Pat Williams compensation pays what it should), or if Williams is gone, slide back in the order and pick some hogs outside the lottery.  On offense, premiere interior lineman fall outside the top ten, and fringe DT's, the likes of Luis Castillo, seem to be about as reliable as the more-bandied glamour picks found in the top ten.

551904[/snapback]

I'm a fan of drafting Ngata, but I would take Super Mario first. If we are lucky enough to have Mario fall to us, which I don't expect to happen, I would take him and then make sure we got Gabe Watson in the 2nd round, even if that meant making a trade. Getting both those guys to our defense would big a huge deal. The run defense would be back and we'd have a very good pass rush. Get 'er done, TM!

551927[/snapback]

hmmm

i'd say who we take if ngata and mario are on the board might come down to FA.

if we have solved he DT situation in FA, Mario is great, if we have grabbed a good DE in FA (abraham is gonna be out there) then ngata would be the best guy for us (or whatever DT/OT looks to be the best).

one thing i expect is ryans and hawk going in the top 6 or 7, and williams in the top 10 for sure.

i also think a couple corners will work their way into the top 20.

we might be able to trade down if someone is nuts over mario, if it nets us a couple more shots at good OT and DT, i'd take it

551959[/snapback]

Most of you all have hit the nail right on the head. I also like the point made that if we do address DT in free agency, then we should, if the draft played out as this mock, take Williams. Now, if nothing is done in free agency leading up to the draft to address the DT issue, then that changes things. Hopefully, that isn't the case.

I am sick of seeing our pass rush be ineffective on third downs. Williams and Schobel as bookend pass rushers would help our coverage immensely, would put more heat on the QBs, which would, in turn, force more turnovers.

Again, I'm not saying neglect the interior of the DL. I am in favor of addressing that in free agency, as the chances are more likely that we can find help inside in free agency than we can outside.

My personal wish list for our first round pick:

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson (not very likely; too bad)

2. Mario Williams (maybe; sure would love it)

3. Haloti Ngata (if nothing is done in free agency to upgrade the DT position and the top 2 are gone)

4. Mathias Kiwanuka (could maybe be done in a trade down?; we'll see)

5. Jimmy Williams (if Nate is gone; could maybe even be used @ safety if we cut one of the veterans)

That R. Rich guy, he's pretty smart. I too fix DT in free agency if possible because you don't pass up the chance to get either a top LT or DE, which we seem almost certain to land if we stay pat. The better heat we get from the front 4, the less we have to blitz. That would be nice.

denney is now a UFA and kelsey has not lived up to expectations.....we can certainly use a difference maker like mario.......

551250[/snapback]

i will not be a happy man if our first draft pick is a defensive player who weighs less than 325 pounds and is taller than 6'3".

Most of you all have hit the nail right on the head.  I also like the point made that if we do address DT in free agency, then we should, if the draft played out as this mock, take Williams.  Now, if nothing is done in free agency leading up to the draft to address the DT issue, then that changes things.  Hopefully, that isn't the case.

I am sick of seeing our pass rush be ineffective on third downs.  Williams and Schobel as bookend pass rushers would help our coverage immensely, would put more heat on the QBs, which would, in turn, force more turnovers. 

Again, I'm not saying neglect the interior of the DL.  I am in favor of addressing that in free agency, as the chances are more likely that we can find help inside in free agency than we can outside.

My personal wish list for our first round pick:

1.  D'Brickashaw Ferguson (not very likely; too bad)

2.  Mario Williams (maybe; sure would love it)

3. Haloti Ngata (if nothing is done in free agency to upgrade the DT position and the top 2 are gone)

4.  Mathias Kiwanuka (could maybe be done in a trade down?; we'll see)

5.  Jimmy Williams (if Nate is gone; could maybe even be used @ safety if we cut one of the veterans)

552054[/snapback]

what good DTs will be available in free agency? the one i keep hearing is grady jackson, but he's a (very) poor man's ted washington.

what good DTs will be available in free agency? the one i keep hearing is grady jackson, but he's a (very) poor man's ted washington.

552403[/snapback]

Of the ones I'm aware of, here's some possibilities:

Kendrick Clancy

Ma'ake Kemoeatu

Grady Jackson

Ed Jasper

These guys probably will be re-signed, but if they're not, I'd consider them:

Ryan Pickett

Larry Triplett

Chris Hovan

Of the ones I'm aware of, here's some possibilities:

Kendrick Clancy

Ma'ake Kemoeatu

Grady Jackson

Ed Jasper

These guys probably will be re-signed, but if they're not, I'd consider them:

Ryan Pickett

Larry Triplett

Chris Hovan

552417[/snapback]

i know pickett was a first rounder, but i've seen a lot of bad press about the rams front 4 this year.

aren't triplett and hovan one gap guys? i really think the bills need a 2 gapper, a la marcus stroud.

I have resigned myself to accepting the fact that we will pick Ngata unless for some reason Brick Ferguson is available at the #8 spot. What I would love to see is us trade up into the late first round (we've done it before) and get Eric Winston, the OT from Miami as well. We need to shore up both lines and this would go a long way towards doing just that.

i know pickett was a first rounder, but i've seen a lot of bad press about the rams front 4 this year.

552422[/snapback]

Most of what I've seen on the Rams' DL focuses on the problems they've had getting someone to pair w/ Pickett inside. Jimmy Kennedy had a really nice start to the season, but by midseason, had lost his job to Damione Lewis, who wasn't a whole heck of a lot better. They could also use an upgrade outside, as Leonard Little is still solid, but Anthony Hargrove is serviceable. To his credit though, he did finish the season up pretty nice, so they have some hope for him.

Most of what I've seen on the Rams' DL focuses on the problems they've had getting someone to pair w/ Pickett inside.  Jimmy Kennedy had a really nice start to the season, but by midseason, had lost his job to Damione Lewis, who wasn't a whole heck of a lot better.  They could also use an upgrade outside, as Leonard Little is still solid, but Anthony Hargrove is serviceable.  To his credit though, he did finish the season up pretty nice, so they have some hope for him.

552446[/snapback]

thanks. is pickett a ufa?

I have resigned myself to accepting the fact that we will pick Ngata unless for some reason Brick Ferguson is available at the #8 spot.  What I would love to see is us trade up into the late first round (we've done it before) and get Eric Winston, the OT from Miami as well.  We need to shore up both lines and this would go a long way towards doing just that.

552437[/snapback]

I was impressed with Ngata. A DT being a big sack man these days is pretty rare. The fact that OK used two people to tie him up most of the game told me a lot - one-gap, two gap, I don't care - I'll take that any day.

thanks. is pickett a ufa?

552469[/snapback]

Yes, but I do expect the Rams to attempt to re-sign him.

Then again, that might also depend on who the settle on as their new head coach. I know Vitt really likes Pickett, so if he's in the mix somehow (new head coach, assistant on new coach's staff), I think Pickett stays.

I was impressed with Ngata. A DT being a big sack man these days is pretty rare. The fact that OK used two people to tie him up most of the game told me a lot - one-gap, two gap, I don't care - I'll take that any day.

552471[/snapback]

I agree. I've watched him play a few times and I believe that he is the type of player who's addition would immediately make us a top 5 D again. (Especially if Spikes is back and healthy) It has been said that he makes the players around him better because he ties up 2 or 3 blockers and I believe that was what we missed this year without Williams.

Yes, but I do expect the Rams to attempt to re-sign him. 

Then again, that might also depend on who the settle on as their new head coach.  I know Vitt really likes Pickett, so if he's in the mix somehow (new head coach, assistant on new coach's staff), I think Pickett stays.

552491[/snapback]

I could very well be in the minority, but I think a mix of Anderson (who looks like he is emerging), Adams, Edwards and a 2nd or 3rd rounder (like Gabe Watson or Kyle Williams) as a nice mix. Pickett or Damione Lewis would be great. The other guy to look at, though his price went up dramatically, is Rocky Bernard.

The other angle on this to watch (sorry if posted already) is what defense we run next year. Depending on the DC, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-4 put in place.

552471[/snapback]

I think there might be some good pass rushing DT's in the third and fourth round that could spell Adams or Ngata. Mahelona of Tennessee may slip down there and might be a good addition.

And who whould those players be in this draft?

552535[/snapback]

Mario has been said to be the best DE prospect since Peppers. Not sure what that means exactly but if true, you take him in a heartbeat over a non-explosive DT who now has an injury to boot. I haven't seen enough of either player to be making real evals though....