Mario Williams

frogger

They should stay away from anyone named Williams, except if their first name is Roy. 

The bottom line is if he is there and the Bills take him he will be a bust. IN fact, the team should just trade its 1st round pick from this point forward.

544249[/snapback]

Now that's the sane, rational kind of posting that I expect around here. 'Bout time!

So he is another Courtney Brown who will cash in and check out?

543669[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. IIRC he was touted as the next Bruce Smith when he came out. I guess those are big shoes to fill, but he hasn't even resembled the rookie Bruce Smith who was a fat, out of shape blob (that quickly changed the next year).....

And very few of these guys had lights out years as rookies. 

ps - if we go by # of tackles alone, why didn't you include Ron Edwards in that list?

544228[/snapback]

ADMIT IT!!!

some DTs do light it up their first season!

Other than Richard Seymour, can someone name a DT that lit up the league in his first three years?  It's even harder for run stuffers, because chances are they have nowhere near the strength needed to be effective in the NFL.

While I see the logic of drafting a DT, I don't envision getting production out of one in '06.

544149[/snapback]

I don't want to slow the momentum of the DT bashing, but who brought up drafting a DT? Mario Williams is a LDE.

I don't want to slow the momentum of the DT bashing, but who brought up drafting a DT?  Mario Williams is a LDE.

544478[/snapback]

He is, but I was taking a tangent in replying to Rich's post about a run stuffing DT.

I still believe that my point still stands, as most evidence is show with benefit of hindsight. People with longer memeories recall Big Daddy Wilkinson labeled a bust in his first 2 years in Cincy, even though his tackle totals were very good. Dewayne Robertson is finally playing up to potential.

Since you asked....

1.  Seymour's former college teammate, Marcus Stroud.

2.  Bryant Young, who played for "that school" and is still kicking butt for the Niners even after 2 broken legs.

3.  Tommie Harris; while he's not "lighting up the league", he has stabilized Chicago's line back to the point where Urlacher can be a playmaker again.

4.  Kevin Williams:  came into the league and quickly became one of the top DTs in the league.

5.  Shaun Rogers, arguably the top DT in the game along w/ Stroud, K. Williams and Seymour.

That's all I can immediately think of.

544155[/snapback]

Casey Hampton (Steleers) and Jammal Brown (San Diego) are others