McGee quote on the INT...

KOKBILLS

Did this quote on the biggest play by a Defender this entire year for the Bills say a heck of a lot about how these DB's are Coached, and the Defensive philosophy?

McGee said; "I was hanging back, but I had seen that when (Palmer) had some pressure he was going to try and throw it short. I just took a gamble, cause I was supposed to be more back...I just took a gamble and it worked..."

Certain Bills DB's get destroyed in the area of Public opinion, but the play McGee made, the BIG play, is not necessarily the way he was Coached...Notice he says "I was supposed to be more back..." He took a gamble...

Just thought that was interesting... ;)

You make a good point there.  The Bills are coached not to give up the big play, and not to make the big play.  Kudos to McGee for ignoring Gray and making the big play.

542365[/snapback]

Further evidence that we should hope Jerry Gray gets offered some nice job elsewhere, preferably with a team we don't like all that much.

How can a guy who played corner so tough not know what to do with them? It's effing mystifying.

You make a good point there.  The Bills are coached not to give up the big play, and not to make the big play.  Kudos to McGee for ignoring Gray and making the big play.

542365[/snapback]

ya but

lets say his gamble fails, thats 6 points

I'm glad that McGee is feeling more instinctual, if nothing else.....he's obviously still a bit green at the position, but sounds like he's continuing to develop.

Maybe this means that the players do not bother listening to the coaches. No matter how much the schemes suck, players choosing not to listen and go on instinct will fail more times than not.

Reason?

11 players going on instinct usually means they go in 11 different directions.

Did this quote on the biggest play by a Defender this entire year for the Bills say a heck of a lot about how these DB's are Coached, and the Defensive philosophy?

McGee said; "I was hanging back, but I had seen that when (Palmer) had some pressure he was going to try and throw it short. I just took a gamble, cause I was supposed to be more back...I just took a gamble and it worked..."

Certain Bills DB's get destroyed in the area of Public opinion, but the play McGee made, the BIG play, is not necessarily the way he was Coached...Notice he says "I was supposed to be more back..." He took a gamble...

Just thought that was interesting... :angry:

542337[/snapback]

All interceptions on those plays are gambles that are decisions made instantaneously by the CB. McGee clearly didn't imply that he was instructed not to take that gamble. And in fact, I would bet my life that every defensive coach in the world, ESPECIALLY considering the closing speed that McGee has, would tell the player if you think you can make the play, make the play and jump it. Hanging back was just part of the particular zone they were playing on that play, when the Bengals, with no time-outs, needed 30 yards for a FG and 60 yards for the game winner TD. They were almost willing to give up a short pass of less than 10 yards to prevent a longer one. McGee also said that he had noticed Palmer willing to take that short pass if he was rushed, so he anticipated that route and throw before the play even developed. That was just smart defense by a good corner and should in no way be an indictment of Gray's defense.

We have ample, ample, ample evidence to criticize Gray and his defense for all kinds of miscues and bad ideas. A season's worth. This just doesn't happen to be one of them, IMO.

Of course they were playing back, we had a lead with less than a minute, you are going to give up the play in front of you and not get beat deep in press coverage. It was a great read by TMc and a great play. One of the big reasons we won the game, players stepped up yesterday and made a bog play when it was needed and that hasn't happened enough in the last few years. Schobel's 3rd down sack, Reed's 3rd down catch. TMc 2 big plays. That's what winning teams do. Make plays when they are needed.

Not necessarily.  Most likely if it weren't INT'd it would have been a pass breakup.

542408[/snapback]

alright, i didn't see the game so i can't really tell you but NC gambles a lot and hence was better at it last year than this year

alright, i didn't see the game so i can't really tell you but NC gambles a lot and hence was better at it last year than this year

I think it's the lack of an effective DT tandem and possibly a "who cares" attitude by NC who knows he probably won't be back in Buffalo next year. Terrence OTOH signed an extension. I just hope that NC's play this year didn't scare-off potential suitors willing to pony-up a 1st rounder after he gets franchised, and I'm glad he made the Pro Bowl, even if it WAS just as an alternate.

I think it's the lack of an effective DT tandem and possibly a "who cares" attitude by NC who knows he probably won't be back in Buffalo next year.  Terrence OTOH signed an extension.  I just hope that NC's play this year didn't scare-off potential suitors willing to pony-up a 1st rounder after he gets franchised, and I'm glad he made the Pro Bowl, even if it WAS just as an alternate.

542439[/snapback]

Good post.

ya but

lets say his gamble fails, thats 6 points

542404[/snapback]

Huh?!?! :angry:

Let's say JP starts the game and we're not even in that position to win the game.

Let's say McGee drops the ball and they get more opportunities to score.

Let's say the weather was dramatically different and that pass was never thrown.

Let's not say anything and just go with what happened in the game. He took the gamble and it paid off. Simple as that.

Jerry Gray needs to go. I hate his defense. The corners are instructed to play off almost every play to ensure we don't give up "the big play." Most good defenses don't play their corners 10 yards off the opposing receivers. This defense is probably nothing more than a cheap version of Greg Williams'.

542365[/snapback]

Yeah, you should always forget the process and go with the result- thats the quickest way to succeed in life. I'm sure you'd be giving props to him for disobeying orders if it was 6 the other way

Just thought that was interesting... :angry:

542337[/snapback]

Yes.... I presume you are referring to the similiar gamble Clements in a pretty similar situation last season and lost.He was villified for it

All interceptions on those plays are gambles that are decisions made instantaneously by the CB. McGee clearly didn't imply that he was instructed not to take that gamble. And in fact, I would bet my life that every defensive coach in the world, ESPECIALLY considering the closing speed that McGee has, would tell the player if you think you can make the play, make the play and jump it. Hanging back was just part of the particular zone they were playing on that play, when the Bengals, with no time-outs, needed 30 yards for a FG and 60 yards for the game winner TD. They were almost willing to give up a short pass of less than 10 yards to prevent a longer one. McGee also said that he had noticed Palmer willing to take that short pass if he was rushed, so he anticipated that route and throw before the play even developed. That was just smart defense by a good corner and should in no way be an indictment of Gray's defense.

We have ample, ample, ample evidence to criticize Gray and his defense for all kinds of miscues and bad ideas. A season's worth. This just doesn't happen to be one of them, IMO.

542425[/snapback]

Not only that, but criticizing in isolation one player's decision to "gamble" is short-sighted and ill-informed. Quick - someone tell me what the coverage was on that play, zone or man, and what everyone else's responsibility was, including whether or not either or both of the safeties were backing up McGee on that play.

Just because McGee gambled he could get the INT and the touchdown, it does not mean the flip-side of that gamble was a TD the other way. It doesn't even necessarily mean he chose to play out of position in the coverage scheme. It just means he thought he could get the INT and touchdown, and took a shot. Everything else everyone might say about his "gambling" is arrant supposition.

542365[/snapback]

If a player needs to be coached on how to make a big play I do not what him on our team.

The answer to this lies in the part of the quote you left out - something like, "I saw there was a passrush and figured Palmer was gonna have to throw short."

That's it right there. Somehow, the Bills got a rush on Palmer with only 3 down linemen - for most of this season, we haven't even generated a rush with 4, which is why Gray has felt the need to keep the CBs so far off the line.

Passrush leads to turnovers. End of story.