McGee quote on the INT...

KOKBILLS

I think this quote highlights the problem with the Bill's D this year. Lay back and let teams pick up 3rd and long. To me, the only reason the Bills didn't end up losing this game is McGee's INT. It looked like the Bengal's would get the FG and send the game to OT where they end up winning. By taking a gamble, McGee gives us a great Xmass present. I for one have been less than thrilled with Grays coaching this year. It looks like last year the team was still living off the ghost of Dick Labeau.

The answer to this lies in the part of the quote you left out - something like, "I saw there was a passrush and figured Palmer was gonna have to throw short."

That's it right there.  Somehow, the Bills got a rush on Palmer with only 3 down linemen - for most of this season, we haven't even generated a rush with 4, which is why Gray has felt the need to keep the CBs so far off the line. 

Passrush leads to turnovers.  End of story.

542756[/snapback]

Schobel played a hell of a game.

The quote doesn't necessarily bother me. I think it is a little like when the QB gets a play from the sideline. If he looks across the line of scrimmage and sees that the play he has is just wrong for the defensive alignment, he can audible. If think the defense likewise is supposed to line up in a certain way, but as the play develops, instinct is expected to kick in so that the players adapt to changing circumstances.