With the #4 pick in the 2006 draft

NavyBillsFan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are going to be a lot worse picks than Haloti Ngata.

He's big, powerful, extremely smart, and exceptionally quick for a man of his size. (I've seen him outrun backs to the outside and crush them from behind.) He's not just another huge DT -- he's a real student of the game. He did have a knee injury but has recovered from that very well.

There are going to be a lot worse picks than Haloti Ngata.

He's big, powerful, extremely smart, and exceptionally quick for a man of his size.  (I've seen him outrun backs to the outside and crush them from behind.)  He's not just another huge DT -- he's a real student of the game.  He did have a knee injury but has recovered from that very well.

532534[/snapback]

How's Oregon using him? While we obvioulsy need another starting quality gap-splitting DT if Adams moves on and we assume Edwards is capable of spelling a starter on passing downs, our greatest need remains for a 2 gap guy to hold the point of attack. The Gray defense excels with two DTs of contrary disciplines, you could argue Edwards could play the 1 gap role but it still leaves us without the rock to his side.

if young or leinart are on the board when we pick we could trade for some bigtime value.

i think we should go for the most picks because there are a few DL and OL talents coming out and picking up a few of them will help.

our needs are more the interior (if we keep mike will) of both lines. 4 or 5 picks on those and at least one big time FA signing will put us way over.

as long as we get a crafty GM in here we are going to get some super solid big men.

How's Oregon using him? While we obvioulsy need another starting quality gap-splitting DT if Adams moves on and we assume Edwards is capable of spelling a starter on passing downs, our greatest need remains for a 2 gap guy to hold the point of attack. The Gray defense excels with two DTs of contrary disciplines, you could argue Edwards could play the 1 gap role but it still leaves us without the rock to his side.

532557[/snapback]

I would guess that Ngata could play any role needed. (He's the second-strongest All-Time Duck, IIRC behind only Igor Olshansky, who was a freak.) The Ducks use him as the defensive anchor primarily -- he ties up multiple blockers and blows up the point of attack. Which is not to say he can't collapse a pocket and penetrate; he definitely can and is actually a pretty accomplished kick blocker. Aliotti's D has (in recent years anyway) had some smaller, quicker linebackers, so having a couple DTs that can control the line of scrimmage frees them up to make plays cleanly.

FWIW, from Mel Kiper's chat today:

Nick (Detroit): Gabe Watson seem's to have all the talent in the world but he doesn't seem very motivated at times. Do you think a team will take a chance on him in the first round?

Mel Kiper: I think the first round is too early for Gabe. Maybe second round -- he is, physically, exactly what you're looking for. He hasn't been as dominating or as productive as he should have been this year OR last year. It wouldn't surprise me if he dropped into the third or fourth round.

Tom(Texas): How many Horns do you see going in the first round? thanks

Mel Kiper: Vince Young, if he comes out. Michael Huff, the safety/cornerback.... And that would be about it in the first round. Jonathan Scott could be a second or third rounder, Rod Wright could be in that second round mix= -- he COULD sneak into the first, but I doubt it. Cedric Griffin the senior corner will go somewhere on the first day.

Yeah, I see his name being mentioned as the best DT.  As for picking 4th, I don't think he's rated in the top 5 anyway.

531651[/snapback]

Ngata has been steadily rising up the draft boards. I think Buffalo is likely to pick in the range of 5-7. I don't think Ngata will be considered a reach at all in that area of the draft come April. The one fly in the ointment is the fact that he had knee reconstruction a year and a half ago. It didn't seem to bother him this season though. He's huge. He has defensive end speed, and he is supposedly very smart. He plays hard until the whistle blows and he is said to have something of a mean streak on the field. What's not to like? If he is as fast as advertized at the combine, look for his ranking on draft boards to shoot up.

Ngata has been steadily rising up the draft boards.  I think Buffalo is likely to pick in the range of 5-7.  I don't think Ngata will be considered a reach at all in that area of the draft come April.  The one fly in the ointment is the fact that he had knee reconstruction a year and a half ago.  It didn't seem to bother him this season though.  He's huge.  He has defensive end speed, and he is supposedly very smart.  He plays hard until the whistle blows and he is said to have something of a mean streak on the field.  What's not to like?  If he is as fast as advertized at the combine, look for his ranking on draft boards to shoot up.

That could very well happen. But in a draft that will have Bush, Leinart, and Ferguson, and could have Young, I think those 4 players go 1-4 regardless. Maybe throw in Hawk. I don't know. We'll see.

That could very well happen.  But in a draft that will have Bush, Leinart, and Ferguson, and could have Young, I think those 4 players go 1-4 regardless.  Maybe throw in Hawk.  I don't know.  We'll see.

533517[/snapback]

Depending on what happens w/ the Saints, a lot could change in the early part in the draft. If the current regime is around, they may go after Hawk, a player they really like. They may also look for Young or Leinart, depending on what draft position they have.

Depending on what happens w/ the Saints, a lot could change in the early part in the draft.  If the current regime is around, they may go after Hawk, a player they really like.  They may also look for Young or Leinart, depending on what draft position they have.

533535[/snapback]

As Brooks has been benched for this week's game I'd assume that the Saints will likely be in the market for a new starting QB.

As Brooks has been benched for this week's game I'd assume that the Saints will likely be in the market for a new starting QB.

533548[/snapback]

Like a lot of their fans, I'd love to see them give McPherson a shot, just so that they know what they have in him. He may surprise them. He was pretty highly thought of around draft time back in April.

Like a lot of their fans, I'd love to see them give McPherson a shot, just so that they know what they have in him.  He may surprise them.  He was pretty highly thought of around draft time back in April.

533550[/snapback]

Damn, I thought they were starting McPherson and was looking forward to watching him. Whats the whole point in starting Bouman. He's not going to be the answer.

Damn, I thought they were starting McPherson and was looking forward to watching him.  Whats the whole point in starting Bouman.  He's not going to be the answer.

533555[/snapback]

Agreed. Many people thought New Orleans got a steal when they drafted McPherson. They should take the time to see if he's a legitimate prospect to lead them or not. If he could pan out for them, then they could go after A.J. Hawk to strengthen their defense, which is pathetic @ the LB position.

Agreed.  Many people thought New Orleans got a steal when they drafted McPherson.  They should take the time to see if he's a legitimate prospect to lead them or not.  If he could pan out for them, then they could go after A.J. Hawk to strengthen their defense, which is pathetic @ the LB position.

533558[/snapback]

100% agreed.