Does anyone here actually REMEMBER Marv Levy?

SDS

If you do - could you actually list the qualities Marv was known for and relate them to how it would help this team?

psssst... here is a hint. If it actually has to do with game-planning and out-thinking the opposing coach, you may want to think again. If it has to do with taking a below average roster and making them an above average team, you may want to think again. If it has to do with identfying and hiring a cast of outstanding assistants, you may want to think again.

Now, if we were so fortunate as to gather 6-7+ hall of fame worthy candidates on this team that might kill each other if left to their own devices - then maybe you do actually remember Marv Levy and you may continue with your essay on how that would actually help this team.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do - could you actually list the qualities Marv was known for and relate them to how it would help this team?

psssst... here is a hint.  If it actually has to do with game-planning and out-thinking the opposing coach, you may want to think again.  If it has to do with taking a below average roster and making them an above average team, you may want to think again.  If it has to do with identfying and hiring a cast of outstanding assistants, you may want to think again.

Now, if we were so fortunate as to gather 6-7+ hall of fame worthy candidates on this team that might kill each other if left to their own devices - then maybe you do actually remember Marv Levy and you may continue with your essay on how that would actually help this team.

530559[/snapback]

Thinking you jumped the tracks for the last few weeks of comments,but boy I couldn't agree more on Marv. He was an excellent ringmaster, nothing more.

Couldn't the same be said of Tony Dungy as well?

530567[/snapback]

Absolutely not. Dungy knows his defense. He was given an offense, but Dungy is an integral part of that team that finally has the defense to support the offense.

Other than the 1st SB :D , he would represent a huge improvement in gameday decisions. I doubt we would see our 2nd-year QB passing on 1st-and-goal from the 3 with a 20-point lead with Marv on the sidelines. :(

I don't want him long-term at all, but he can come in & mop-up the rest of this season if it means MM is gone sooner. :)

Marv was a master at adjustments during halftime of the Super Bowls. Just kidding!!! :)

Apparently for some, getting to the Super Bowl is good enough, winning it, ahh who cares.

He has some great qoutes. I should add that to my list of qualities for a HC. :D

Also... Marv was presented with a loaded roster, but IMO he provided solid leadership in the locker room, getting the bickering Bills to re-focus & helping those losing SB teams re-focus 3x. Does that mean it'd work again for this current team? No. But he would be light years better than MM. :D

Other than the 1st SB :D , he would represent a huge improvement in gameday decisions.

530571[/snapback]

The only "football related" aspect that I remember Marv bringing to that team was his emphasis on special teams...

It appears a lot of people have forgotten that he was the biggest critic of the "no-huddle". Think about that for a moment. For the people clamoring for a "strong head coach" - the Bills ran an offense that he FUNDAMENTALLY disagreeded with. It wasn't that we couldn't run a different offense because of specific talent issues. It wasn't because he was adapting to our personnel. He did what administrators do - he let someone else run the show.

psssst... here is a hint.  If it actually has to do with game-planning and out-thinking the opposing coach, you may want to think again.  If it has to do with taking a below average roster and making them an above average team, you may want to think again.  If it has to do with identfying and hiring a cast of outstanding assistants, you may want to think again.

530559[/snapback]

Very well said. Thanks for the reminder of what Marv Levy really was capable of. Too often it's said that he inherited a great team (myself included), buy when you think back to how he managed the personalities on this team, he is really amazing! I wouldn't mind if he had another go-round with the Bills.

The only "football related" aspect that I remember Marv bringing to that team was his emphasis on special teams...

It appears a lot of people have forgotten that he was the biggest critic of the "no-huddle".  Think about that for a moment.  For the people clamoring for a "strong head coach" - the Bills ran an offense that he FUNDAMENTALLY disagreeded with.  It wasn't that we couldn't run a different offense because of specific talent issues.  It wasn't because he was adapting to our personnel. He did what administrators do - he let someone else run the show.

530580[/snapback]

Oh I agree, he was more of an administrator on the sidelines than anything. But being the HC, he still had final veto power on the plays being called, and he had enough common sense to make common sense calls... something that GW & MM didn't/don't have a lot of the time. :D

Again, I don't want him back, but I won't begrudge him the HOF either.

Who is this Marv Levy of whom you speak?

Seriously, Marv was a good coach. Ask his former players what they think of him. Ask the Hall of Fame voters what they think of him.

Polian certainly was responsible for stocking that team with talent. Yet, Marv helped get them to play at the level at which they played. Talent and coaching go hand and hand. Do you think Mike Mularkey would have had the same success with that team. He would have called out Bruce for freelancing. He would have called out Thurman for not hitting holes when there were none. He would have tried to suspend Andre for bickering. He would have lost the team.

Marv also emphasized special teams. We won a lot of games because of special teams contributions.

As for assistant coaches, he hired Ted Marchibroda who basically invented the K gun. He hired Wade Philips who was a great defensive coordinator for the Bills (as well as HC although I know you disagree).

Could Marv have done it without the talent. No. You need the players. Yet, I dare say both the players and Polian would say they could not have done without Marv.

Is Marv the answer now? I have no idea whether the game has passed him by. I do know that I would take him any day of the week over MM.

It appears a lot of people have forgotten that he was the biggest critic of the "no-huddle".  Think about that for a moment.  For the people clamoring for a "strong head coach" - the Bills ran an offense that he FUNDAMENTALLY disagreeded with.  It wasn't that we couldn't run a different offense because of specific talent issues.  It wasn't because he was adapting to our personnel. He did what administrators do - he let someone else run the show.

530580[/snapback]

Yet another good point. How 'bout Levy for GM?

Talent and coaching go hand and hand.  Do you think Mike Mularkey would have had the same success with that team.  He would have called out Bruce for freelancing.  He would have called out Thurman for not hitting holes when there were none.  He would have tried to suspend Andre for bickering.  He would have lost the team.

530584[/snapback]

Damn, that is an ugly thought. :D