Does anyone here actually REMEMBER Marv Levy?

SDS

Since you brought up that last SB, let me throw out my most "stinging" memory of Marv Levy.

Marv had taken over play calling whenever the ball was inside the 10 yard line (a baffling strategy if you ask me)...  Well, at the end of the 1st half with the ball on the 5ish yard line and 3rd down, what does our Head Coach call?

A fuggin' shovel pass against the fastest defense in the league...  :P Nice call Marv.  You guaranteed a FG when a TD was a real possibility.  It set us up nicely for the James Washington fumble return to start the 2nd half.

530895[/snapback]

I always wondered - is that play the reference point for Chris Berman's ongoing: "The shovel pass NEVER works in the AFC" joke?

To be fair though, those Dallas teams were a lot better. That Redskin team I'm not so sure about. I know they won 14 games and Tasker claims they were the best team he'd ever seen, but I don't know if they were that much better than the Giants the previous year. That was actually the only year the 49ers missed out on the playoffs in those years and they were able to play rather pedestrian Falcons/Lions teams in the NFC playoffs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture this...

Opening Day: 2006

THE RALPH is packed per usual, you can feel the electricity in the air after a long football hiatus. Marv gathers the troops on the sideline and you hear "WHERE ELSE WOULD YOU RATHER BE THAN RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW???!!!!"

And on the jumbotron they show a montage of great moments in Bills history... all the players... all the wins... AFL CHampions... THE COMEBACK... Lofton galloping to the endzone, Bruce bursting 'round the edge to sack 'Dan the man' ... Jimbo dropping back and slinging it.

It'll certainly be a fun and exciting time to be a Bills fan.