If MM does go I would like to see

Mikie2times

Again are these type of coaches just growing on trees? Ralph’s been signing cost friendly coaches since the beginning of time so don't expect any former powers to return. Past that we will get to fight with a pool of several other teams, many of which willing to spend more money for coaches that got fired for doing a poor job with there former teams.

As far as the money thing goes I think Ralph has plenty to go around. So that really wouldn't be an issue. He's really (I hate to say it) running out of time to see HIS team win a super bowl. He's not happy and niether are any of us.

I'm not saying that this is a bad move for some, but it just doesn't seem like Buffalo has the pull to bring in a solid coach with experience.

Again I really don't think it's about the "pull" I think it's about the money.

Unfortunately we have been left getting coordinators on the rise, and both have not faired well.

This is why I think he goes for a proven coach.

Back in 2001 I wanted the bills to bring in Gary Kubiak, however Kubiak no longer even calls the plays in denvers offense. Shannahan does.  At one time Kubiak might've been very good offensive mind, but theres a reason he no longer calls plays

529138[/snapback]

The guys 44, it's not like he's losing it. When you have a head coach with such an in depth understanding for one side of the ball then having them call the plays isn't unusual. Shannahan is one of the best offensive minds in football, so if he wants to call the plays I don't think any less of Kubiak for it. Kubiak has still been OC in one of the most successful systems in recent NFL history for over a decade, and is as decorated as any assistant in the NFL.

As far as the money thing goes I think Ralph has plenty to go around.  So that really wouldn't be an issue.  He's really (I hate to say it) running out of time to see HIS team win a super bowl.  He's not happy and niether are any of us.

Again I really don't think it's about the "pull" I think it's about the money.

This is why I think he goes for a proven coach.

529139[/snapback]

Even if Ralph is willing to do something he has never done before who's he going to entice? We will be picking from a pool of coaches that just got the axe, and to just assume the Bills will be allowed to cherry pick from that group would be a mistake.

At this point I like Steve Mariuchi ! He has some proven winning experience. And dont give me the west coast offense stuff. He can adapt to the player's he has.

529015[/snapback]

Did you follow the Lions at all the last three seasons? :D

The guys 44, it's not like he's losing it. When you have a head coach with such an in depth understanding for one side of the ball then having them call the plays isn't unusual. Shannahan is one of the best offensive minds in football, so if he wants to call the plays I don't think any less of Kubiak for it. Kubiak has still been OC in one of the most successful systems in recent NFL history for over a decade, and is as decorated as any assistant in the NFL.

529140[/snapback]

I sort of follow the Broncos (one of my "secondary" teams) and can tell you, Kubiak has interviewed for numerous HC jobs over the last 5-7 years, since the Broncos first SB win. He has either not been offered the jobs, or turned them down, once offered the jobs. He seems very reluctant to leave Colorado (I think he was a heavy favorite to get the Colorado Buffaloes job, but pulled him self out of the running, so Barnett got the job). He was offered a college HC job (I can't remember where, may have been a Texas school), and after dicking them around for a week, turned it down. After that, there seemed to be some rumours that maybe, in fact, he is not really a "take charge" kind of guy. That being said, when I fired Gregg Williams on my 2002 Madden game, I hired Kubiak as my HC, and won a ton of SB's! ;)

That being said, I agree with those that say that Ralph, if he should hire a new coach this year, will go for an established guy. If he was willing to make Mike Mularkey the highest paid HC in team history, I believe that money is becoming less of an issue for him, in his later years. I really could see him going afrer a Dan Reeves type. He has been in the leauge fairly recently, has been successful, to varying degrees everywhere he has been, and is a high character, tough guy...what the Bills may need at this point. For all those who say he is too old, I think that is nonsense, unless he is senile. Dick Vermeil has proven that age doesn't have to be an issue.

Other possibilities might be Haslett, Brian Billick and Jim Fassell. Can't say that I would be too thrilled with any of these choices. If Ralph does go with an assistant, and Modrak is our GM, maybe Jim Johnson (Eagles DC) or Tom Moore (Colts OC)? Two older guys who have been around the leauge, and seem to know what they are doing. Moore would be kind of intriguing to me...

I don't think Ralph, at this point, would be too anxious to go with an unproven assistant, or college guy.

If theres an offensive coordinator I'd like as a hc, it's Al Saunders from the KC Chiefs. I was high on kubiak at one time. Maybe I'm wrong for taking off the list of guys I'd like, but him no longer calling plays just struck me the wrong way.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/al_saunders/

AL SAUNDERS

23rd Year NFL Coach • 15th with Chiefs

Regarded as one of the most accomplished and innovative offensive minds in all of football with experience as both a head coach and offensive coordinator, Al Saunders enters his fifth season as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator for the Chiefs in 2005.

Embarking on his 36th season in the coaching ranks this year, Saunders owns 23 years of NFL coaching experience and is beginning his 15th coaching campaign with Kansas City. He previously served a 10-year stint as assistant head coach/wide receivers coach under head coach Marty Schottenheimer from ‘89-98. During that 10-year span, he was part of a Chiefs coaching staff which helped guide Kansas City to three AFC West titles and seven playoff berths. In total, Saunders has been associated with 10 postseason appearances, five division crowns and a World Championship during his NFL tenure.

In 2004, the Chiefs led the NFL in total offense for the first time in franchise history, accumulating a franchise-record 6,695 yards or an average of 418.4 ypg. In the process, Kansas City established an NFL record with 398 first downs, breaking the previous mark of 387 set by the ‘84 Dolphins.

I wont post the rest of it cause it's pretty long, but I'd like a coach in buffalo who could accomplush this.....

Dating back to 2001 when Saunders took over as offensive coordinator, the Chiefs rank first in the NFL with 24,278 net yards of total offense (379.3 ypg). The Chiefs oppulent numbers during that 64-game span from 2001-04 are also the league’s best in the following seven categories: offensive TDs (200), rushing TDs (105), total first downs (1,413), Red Zone TD percentage (64.3%), runs of 10+ yards (255), passing yards per attempt (7.79) and passing yards per completion (12.58).

Just hire the RIGHT guy, for once ! Since the owner isn't going to change at age 87, the immediate future of this team does start with the right GM hire and hoping he finds the right HC.

John Fox and Marvin Lewis were Asst. Coaches with NO HC experience, much like Greggo and MM. Doesn't stop people from bringing them up, with their 20/20 hindsight which is never wrong. ;)

Well after reading that Bio I think the main question is absolutely WHY is he not a HC yet? Considering a guy like MM got a HC Job, and some of the other HC's that are in the NFL, why exactly has Kubiak gone without an opportunity? One reason I can think of is if Shanahan calls the Plays on Offense. Don't know if that is the case or not... Or maybe Kubiak simply does not want to be a HC...Maybe he is just that smart... ;)

529128[/snapback]

Bill Walsh wasnt a head coach til age 46

If Mularkey goes what stronger canidates are out there? I'm not on the MM lynch squad, just proposing a guy if he does get the boot.

529007[/snapback]

Kirk Ferentz

1. head coaching experioence at Iowa

2. coached under Belichek in Cleveland

3. OL coach so he's able to fully understand and fix our OL problem

4. His tie to Iowa is about to graduate

I'm gonna throw this out there, with the caveat that I'm not up on the list of "hot" coordinators.

Why not Sam Wyche? He's already here, is already familiar with the personnel that's here, and he's done it before. If you're going to hire a retread, why not use Sam Wyche to at least get things going in a positive direction?

I sort of follow the Broncos (one of my "secondary" teams) and can tell you, Kubiak has interviewed for numerous HC jobs over the last 5-7 years, since the Broncos first SB win.  He has either not been offered the jobs, or turned them down, once offered the jobs.  He seems very reluctant to leave Colorado (I think he was a heavy favorite to get the Colorado Buffaloes job, but pulled him self out of the running, so Barnett got the job). He was offered a college HC job (I can't remember where, may have been a Texas school), and after dicking them around for a week, turned it down.  After that, there seemed to be some rumours that maybe, in fact, he is not really a "take charge" kind of guy.  That being said, when I fired Gregg Williams on my 2002 Madden game, I hired Kubiak as my HC, and won a ton of SB's! ;)

That being said, I agree with those that say that Ralph, if he should hire a new coach this year, will go for an established guy.  If he was willing to make Mike Mularkey the highest paid HC in team history, I believe that money is becoming less of an issue for him, in his later years.  I really could see him going afrer a Dan Reeves type.  He has been in the leauge fairly recently, has been successful, to varying degrees everywhere he has been, and is a high character, tough guy...what the Bills may need at this point.  For all those who say he is too old, I think that is nonsense, unless he is senile.  Dick Vermeil has proven that age doesn't have to be an issue.

Other possibilities might be Haslett, Brian Billick and Jim Fassell.  Can't say that I would be too thrilled with any of these choices.  If Ralph does go with an assistant, and Modrak is our GM, maybe Jim Johnson (Eagles DC) or Tom Moore (Colts OC)?  Two older guys who have been around the leauge, and seem to know what they are doing.  Moore would be kind of intriguing to me...

I don't think Ralph, at this point, would be too anxious to go with an unproven assistant, or college guy.

529145[/snapback]

The Bills absolutely need to hire a HC who has proven to be successful as a HEAD coach, even if only at the college level.

Running the entire program is much more difficult than just being an offensive or defensive coordinator.

Jeff Fischer would be great if Adams makes the mistake and fires him.

If not, Kirk Ferentz should get strong consideration.

I'm gonna throw this out there, with the caveat that I'm not up on the list of "hot" coordinators.

Why not Sam Wyche?  He's already here, is already familiar with the personnel that's here, and he's done it before.  If you're going to hire a retread, why not use Sam Wyche to at least get things going in a positive direction?

529227[/snapback]

Health

I don't think Wyche could handle being a HC with his health.

I think him and April are the only coaches that are safe on the bills roster this year and should remain next year.

How is this guy not a head coach yet? Check out the bio Kubiak

Even though he doesn't have head coaching experience this is as seasoned as it gets for offensive coaches. IMO his style of offense would be a perfect fit for a mobile JP, and difficult climates.

Edit: Kinda looks like Greggo  ;)

528979[/snapback]

Talented -- BUT, I don't think this team can afford to hire anyone without prior head coaching experience, and some success at it. Really, I'd like to see Fassell here. He had a pretty good track record in one of the toughest towns to play in, and helped Kerry Collins focus and get to a Super Bowl. His defenses weren't bad, either (nice to have Strahan, I'll admit).