To all calling for Mularkeys head...

Buftex

I know most (and I am teetering) want to see Mike Mularkey canned right now. However, just keep one thing in mind:

Most call TD stupid for not hiring Marvin Lewis 5 years ago, instead of GW. If you go back as recently as last season, Bengals fans were calling for Lewis to be fired. Now, Bengals fans, and a lot of Bills fans are hailing him as a genious...yet the Bengals fortunes have been up and down the last 5 years...every step forward, they seemed to take a step back. Now, they are apparently ready to take that big step into the elite team category. I really think that there is something to be said for continuity....as hard as it is to patient....besides, most of us didn't really have high expectations for this team going into this season...we knew there was a very good chance this was going to be an off year...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The common thread I come up with for keeping Mike Mularkey is that most pundits feel that he's assembled a fine coaching staff overall. If pushed on the subject, I think he will stay, with the pressure being turned WAY UP next year! If Mariucci can be canned two and a half years into a contract, so can Mike Mularkey. Under this scenario, Gregg Williams comes to mind as being under immense pressure in year three! The only difference was that Gregg wasn't anything more than a "lame duck" by the midway part of his final season in Buffalo. :D

I know most (and I am teetering) want to see Mike Mularkey canned right now.  However, just keep one thing in mind:

Most call TD stupid for not hiring Marvin Lewis 5 years ago, instead of GW.  If you go back as recently as last season, Bengals fans were calling for Lewis to be fired.  Now, Bengals fans, and a lot of Bills fans are hailing him as a genious...yet the Bengals fortunes have been up and down the last 5 years...every step forward, they seemed to take a step back.  Now, they are apparently ready to take that big step into the elite team category.  I really think that there is something to be said for continuity....as hard as it is to patient....besides, most of us didn't really have high expectations for this team going into this season...we knew there was a very good chance this was going to be an off year...

522638[/snapback]

I've said this over and over. If Mularkey had exactly one interview for his current job, in other words, only Donohoe was interested in him, how can anyone presume he's a good hire? I presume the opposite. Lewis was a hot commodity at the time of his hiring and even at Bills interview time although he really didn't get any good looks at that time.

I know most (and I am teetering) want to see Mike Mularkey canned right now.  However, just keep one thing in mind:

Most call TD stupid for not hiring Marvin Lewis 5 years ago, instead of GW.  If you go back as recently as last season, Bengals fans were calling for Lewis to be fired.  Now, Bengals fans, and a lot of Bills fans are hailing him as a genious...yet the Bengals fortunes have been up and down the last 5 years...every step forward, they seemed to take a step back.  Now, they are apparently ready to take that big step into the elite team category.  I really think that there is something to be said for continuity....as hard as it is to patient....besides, most of us didn't really have high expectations for this team going into this season...we knew there was a very good chance this was going to be an off year...

522638[/snapback]

Last season the Bengals record was 8-8 and they won 3 games on the road. This Bills team has a great chance at going 4-12 with no wins on the road. These Bills are far from the 2004 Cinncinatti Bengals.

I say bring back Levy. I don't care how old he is, this team needs to stop being a laughing stock and get some credibility back on the sidelines.

I've said this over and over.  If Mularkey had exactly one interview for his current job, in other words, only Donohoe was interested in him, how can anyone presume he's a good hire?  I presume the opposite.  Lewis was a hot commodity at the time of his hiring and even at Bills interview time although he really didn't get any good looks at that time.

522647[/snapback]

Actually, Mularkey had more than one interview...I know for a fact that the Raiders wanted him, and I pretty sure he interviewed for a college job as well...

522638[/snapback]

I appreciate this example, and there is something to be said for continuity. However, the thing that stings with Mularkey is that he says one thing ("We will be a smashmouth running team") and does another (pass from the 3 to Damian Shelton or Josh Reed.) He has continued to irk me with his handling of addressing injuries, and addressing the starting QB when JP got yanked. Marvin Lewis set the course and changed the entire attitude of a pathetic franchise. Even when they took a step back, I don't think the boat rocked internally too much (forget what fans and media say.) The team knew Lewis had them on a path to be successful. The Bills are another story. Mularkey seems to be creating chaos with Sam Adams and Moulds, and there is no clear path to success.

One thing that I think is a reflection on the coach is the 0-6 record on the road. They look like a different team, and play with no heart whatsoever. In reality, this team has weak victories over Houston, NYJ, and Miami, and a game vs. KC where their defense decided to show up. It could be a 4-12 season with 3 of those wins against Gus Frerotte, Vinny, and the Texans. Ouch Mike Mularkey.

At roughly this time last year, I seem to recall Mularkey's Bills traveling to Cinci and handing it to Lewis and the Bengals. I mean REALLY handing it to them. At that point, Lewis' tenure with the Bengals was roughly at the same point that Mularkey's is with the Bills now. I can't believe that there were many Bills fans wishing to trade places with the Bengals then.

It's funny what can happen just a short season later. Maybe MM has made some bad decisions, but I also think as far as our decline this year goes, the PLAYERS have something to do with that.

We are essentially a year behind the Bengals on the curve. Recall that in Lewis' first season, he was hailed a savior because he got the Bengals all the way to .500 in his first season. He didn't look so smart when he elected to take his lumps in year 2 with Carson Palmer. Now Palmer is being hailed as one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL -- and the Bengals are a hot commodity. Maybe we'll be saying the same thing about JP and the Bills next year if the axiom holds true.

522638[/snapback]

Well...with all due respect, any Bungles fan calling for Marvin Lewis' firing (and I don't remember hearing anything about this...not saying it's not true, just news to me...) is an idiot...I've seen enough of that Guy on NFL Network to understand he's a pretty special individual...He may not be the best HC in the NFL, but he's FAR from the worst, and he's only going to get better...

I know it's hard without specifics, but just take my word for it on this one...MM is not even remotely close to being a HC comparable to Marvin Lewis...He's just not...Lewis is a Leader of Men...MM just pisses men off... :D

Last season the Bengals record was 8-8 and they won 3 games on the road. This Bills team has a great chance at going 4-12 with no wins on the road. These Bills are far from the 2004 Cinncinatti Bengals.

522658[/snapback]

Yes, exactly....Lewis was in the 4th year of his tenure. He was listed as one of those coaches "on the bubble" last season....Mularkey did a pretty good job his first season, and now has had a very difficult second season. Lewis went through the same type of ups and downs...

People were calling for Mike Tice's head, and now he's being mentioned as coach of the year (which is a complete joke, but that's a topic for another thread).

Consistency - I've been saying it all day, you can't keep firing coaches after two seasons like we do. First Phillip0s, then GW, now MM.

CW

People were calling for Mike Tice's head, and now he's being mentioned as coach of the year (which is a complete joke, but that's a topic for another thread).

Consistency - I've been saying it all day, you can't keep firing coaches after two seasons like we do.  First Phillip0s, then GW, now MM.

CW

522675[/snapback]

Thing is I agree with you, and that's why this is SO difficult to accept for me as a Bills fan...

But I just feel in my heart of hearts that MM is a complete dead end...I don't think for a second the guy has what it takes anymore (I gave him the Homer benefit of the doubt to start off), and even IF he could get the Bills to the point of being competative, I'm already convinced he'll get outcoached when and if a big Game comes around...

If he stays, I hope to hell I'm wrong about the guy...But nothing he does or says leads me to believe this guy is a Leader...Nothing... :D

Why is it common "knowlege" that it takes a rookie QB a few years to learn his craft, it takes a WR two or three years to play up to his potential, it takes the offensive line "time to gel" .......... but if a rookie head coach doesn't take a team (he inherited) to the playoffs in two years he's a failure????

Are we satisfied with the team TD has assembled for MM???? If so lets start cutting TD a break, if not, maybe we need to cut this coaching staff a break.

tHE PROBLEM IS THAT WE ARE NOT JUST 1 YEAR BEHIND THE BENGALS ON AN UPWARD CURVE. We seem to be on a downward spiral with all lot of vets that are no longer doing the job. MW, Moulds Adams, Vincent and Milloy. Plus with Clements up and down play, who knows what is going to happen. With the Bengals you can see the progress, with the Bills it is total confusion.

Yeah, you are right, my bad...lost track of my timeline a little.  My point was, however that the Bengals did not make a huge leap, until this year.

522710[/snapback]

The club went from 2 -14 in '02 with LeBeau, to 8 - 8 in '03 and 8 - 8 in '04 (with 18 on the IR that season and no national cry-fest like the Pats currently enjoy).

Lewis impresses.