13 Points Schmerteen Points

Casey D

I know the O-line stinks and is the major reason the offense is no good, but this #2 defense from the past two years has crashed and burned. I don't care if it only gave up 13 points, there is more to what happened than that. Not only did the D cave when it counted, it only gave the offense 8 drive starts and let Carolina hold the ball for 36 minutes. The O is obviously not that good to only get 8 chances if we expect it to score 14-24 points, especially with a first year QB. Unless they get a turnover, the D can't get off the field. They was to supposed to carry us like Chicago's defense does. This defense has taken us right to the lumber yard...CD

Not only did the D cave when it counted

514150[/snapback]

That's the only thing that matters. The offense gave the defense a three-point lead with more than ten minutes to play. Eight minutes later the offense got the ball back down four with two minutes left. Our D got pushed all the way down the field IN OUR OWN HOUSE and, when they finally mustered up enough pride to stop a couple of goal-line rushes, all it did was give our offense less time to come back.

Getting whacked around for eight minutes on the game-winning drive is understandable on the road. At HOME it's friggin' inexcusable.

That's just ridiculous. The defense held a solid team to 13 points. If I knew that were going to happen in advance, I'd say the Bills get the 'W'. Is it too much to ask of an offense to eclipse 13 points AT HOME? I think not.

Look at the scores around the league. EVERY SINGLE team in the league managed to score more than 9 points. That's like asking a pitcher to win a game when his offense produced 1 run.

The defense played a great game considering the circumstances. It's high time our offense, loaded with tons of high draft picks and free agent signings, convert in the red zone.

That's the only thing that matters.  The offense gave the defense a three-point lead with more than ten minutes to play.  Eight minutes later the offense got the ball back down four with two minutes left.  Our D got pushed all the way down the field IN OUR OWN HOUSE and, when they finally mustered up enough pride to stop a couple of goal-line rushes, all it did was give our offense less time to come back. 

Getting whacked around for eight minutes on the game-winning drive is understandable on the road.  At HOME it's friggin' inexcusable.

514273[/snapback]

That's just ridiculous.  The defense held a solid team to 13 points.  If I knew that were going to happen in advance, I'd say the Bills get the 'W'.  Is it too much to ask of an offense to eclipse 13 points AT HOME?  I think not.

Look at the scores around the league.  EVERY SINGLE team in the league managed to score more than 9 points.  That's like asking a pitcher to win a game when his offense produced 1 run.

The defense played a great game considering the circumstances.  It's high time our offense, loaded with tons of high draft picks and free agent signings, convert in the red zone.

514290[/snapback]

I agree with you the defense played well, but when you give up 11+ minute drives that gives the offense at least one and probably two less series in which to try to score points. And they didnt stop the panthers when they needed to. Or at least needed to hold them to a FG.

That's just ridiculous.  The defense held a solid team to 13 points.  If I knew that were going to happen in advance, I'd say the Bills get the 'W'.  Is it too much to ask of an offense to eclipse 13 points AT HOME?  I think not.

Look at the scores around the league.  EVERY SINGLE team in the league managed to score more than 9 points.  That's like asking a pitcher to win a game when his offense produced 1 run.

The defense played a great game considering the circumstances.  It's high time our offense, loaded with tons of high draft picks and free agent signings, convert in the red zone.

514290[/snapback]

And let me guess...it's the QB's fault, right?

BRING BACK FLUTIE! That'll fix everything!

Nope. I thought JP played well.

I don't think Willis really showed up though. His dancing is getting a tad old.

:blink:

And let me guess...it's the QB's fault, right?

514300[/snapback]

514300[/snapback]

Funny you said that. JP reminded me of Flutie on several plays yesterday. Now before you start cursing at me, understand that I mean this as a compliment.

Certainly you remember how Flutie would very very often get the snap and roll right, in sort of a half circle. JP does the same thing. This move gives a mobile qb a little more of a chance to see the field, a necessity on a team with little to no blocking.

Think about it......The qb will not be in the middle when the front collapses (as it does on almost every play), and he is running away from his blindside. Both Fltuie and JP are athletic enough to use this option, and here, I will say it................ Drew was not. :blink:

Oh, the other time he reminded me of Flutie was when his pass was blocked. :w00t:

I agree with you the defense played well, but when you give up 11+ minute drives that gives the offense at least one and probably two less series in which to try to score points. And they didnt stop the panthers when they needed to. Or at least needed to hold them to a FG.

514294[/snapback]

Bingo. I submit that giving up those two monstrous, clock-chewing drives at home with the crowd on its feet and screaming is more pitiful than anything the offense did yesterday.

This was even more infuriating than the Jacksonville game last year. In that one, the game-winning drive was basically two plays -- the long pass to Jimmy Smith that Clements didn't knock down, and the pass to Wilford in the back of the end zone. In this one, the entire defense got its ass beat for eight minutes, had six chances to get off the field on third down, and didn't come through once. And if they were tired, it's their own damn fault for not getting off the field.

Big talkers, small walkers. That's our defense.

Give up 6 3rd downs on that drive doesn't bode well...

Also, I was disappointed by the OL and the play calling.....This is the first

game I saw McGahee showing no emotions....Here is a direct quote from

the Caroline DB in the AP report

[b]"We came straight at them like we always do," safety Mike Minter said. "We stopped them with seven guys in the box. When you can do that as a defense, you're playing well."[/B]

So they had more people respecting JPs arm than McGahee's legs....

I disagree. Yes, it was discomforting to see the defense let them march up and down the field, but to pin the blame on them is a little bit unfair.

Without their best player (TKO)

Without their 2nd Corner (McGee)

Without their starting safety (Milloy)

I think they played pretty well. In fact, they even made a big play, forcing a fumble in the opposition's territory.

How many big plays did the O have? Zero.

Considering the attention paid to the offense the past two years, I would hope for better. We hired an offensive coach and spent most of the draft picks on that side of the ball.

Bingo.  I submit that giving up those two monstrous, clock-chewing drives at home with the crowd on its feet and screaming is more pitiful than anything the offense did yesterday. 

This was even more infuriating than the Jacksonville game last year.  In that one, the game-winning drive was basically two plays -- the long pass to Jimmy Smith that Clements didn't knock down, and the pass to Wilford in the back of the end zone.  In this one, the entire defense got its ass beat for eight minutes, had six chances to get off the field on third down, and didn't come through once.  And if they were tired, it's their own damn fault for not getting off the field.

Big talkers, small walkers.  That's our defense.

514342[/snapback]

I disagree.  Yes, it was discomforting to see the defense let them march up and down the field, but to pin the blame on them is a little bit unfair. 

Without their best player (TKO)

Without their 2nd Corner (McGee)

Without their starting safety (Milloy)

I think they played pretty well.  In fact, they even made a big play, forcing a fumble in the opposition's territory.

How many big plays did the O have?  Zero.

Considering the attention paid to the offense the past two years, I would hope for better.  We hired an offensive coach and spent most of the draft picks on that side of the ball.

514454[/snapback]

Those are pretty good excuses, but they are excuses. Plain and simple this defense can't force a punt. Either the other teams scores or we get a turnover, otherwise they stay on the field. The 3rd down conversion rate against the defense must be astronomically high--and nothing is more demoralizing than continued 3rd down conversions by the other team.

Those are pretty good excuses, but they are excuses.  Plain and simple this defense can't force a punt.  Either the other teams scores or we get a turnover, otherwise they stay on the field.  The 3rd down conversion rate against the defense  must be astronomically high--and nothing is more demoralizing than continued 3rd down conversions by the other team.

514635[/snapback]

Agreed....I think that has been the biggest problem for this defense.....Of course

people will rant that the lack of run-stopping on the 1st two downs is causing

the 3rd downs to be makeable...While there is some truth to that, I have seen

many of the times the opponents completing 3rd and longs pretty comfortably.

This has to be the one of the worst defense from the 3rd down statistics...

I don't know if the 3rd down malaise is due to players playing out of positions or

due to faulty play calling by the coaches...

It's a problem, that's for sure. The defense is seriously lacking, especially in clutch situations.

But the offense has been consistently bad from start to finish. Even in the win against KC, the most the offense could produce was 14 points. Just look at the scores around the league and you will see that this offense is just not producing as it should, especially considering the number of playmakers on the team.

Agreed....I think that has been the biggest problem for this defense.....Of course

people will rant that the lack of run-stopping on the 1st two downs is causing

the 3rd downs to be makeable...While there is some truth to that, I have seen

many of the times the opponents completing 3rd and longs pretty comfortably.

This has to be the one of the worst defense from the 3rd down statistics...

I don't know if the 3rd down malaise is due to players playing out of positions or

due to faulty play calling by the coaches...

514648[/snapback]

This post sounds like a search for the guilty... its a team game and thankfully the coaches, O, D, and special teams can share in this loss. 

On the other hand, the Giant's can pin their loss solely on Feely's three missed FGs ;)

514657[/snapback]

Agreed, but the point was made in response to the observation that the loss was the Os fault, because the D only gave up 13 points. Both sides of the ball are bad, mostly because they have no offensive or defensive lines. It's pretty simple I think, that when you can't tackle at the point of attack or block at that same point, it's hard to be very successful...CD

It's a problem, that's for sure. The defense is seriously lacking, especially in clutch situations.

But the offense has been consistently bad from start to finish.  Even in the win against KC, the most the offense could produce was 14 points.  Just look at the scores around the league and you will see that this offense is just not producing as it should, especially considering the number of playmakers on the team.

514666[/snapback]

Playmakers don't mean very much when you can't block...CD

Agree with all that, but you can't blame blocking for the reason they didn't score any TDs.

Just like, as you yourself pointed out, you can't blame the injuries for the D's performance.

Bottom line, they didn't get the job done.

Playmakers don't mean very much when you can't block...CD

514673[/snapback]

I know the O-line stinks and is the major reason the offense is no good, but this #2 defense from the past two years has crashed and burned. I don't care if it only gave up 13 points, there is more to what happened than that. Not only did the D cave when it counted, it only gave the offense 8 drive starts and let Carolina hold the ball for 36 minutes.  The O is obviously not that good to only get 8 chances if we expect it to score 14-24 points, especially with a first year QB.  Unless they get a turnover, the D can't get off the field.  They was to supposed to carry us like Chicago's defense does.  This defense has taken us right to the lumber yard...CD

514150[/snapback]

You're missing the point completely! It's not how much they give, but when they give it up.

All in the 4th quarter. ;) After a lead, however, measly it is. Not the m.o. of a playoff bound team or even an average one.

We are below average. I guess black hole would describe this team.