Boomer E. CBS Pre-Game

Rico

Anybody hear Boomer's pre-game suggestion for a trade?

Philip Rivers to the Jets for Vilma and a #1.

His take was that the Jets want Rivers bad, the Chargers want to move him bad, and the signing bonuses that both teams would eat are close enough to a wash.

After seeing the Bolts last week, can you imagine if they added Vilma and another high #1? Talk about loaded. :(

Aren't the Chargers pretty well set at LB?

513900[/snapback]

Can never have too many good ones. Just look at us. Fletcher was down early in the season, Spikes out, and we had Posey as our best LBer for a while. And while Crowell has had a few good plays he really isn't a starter quality LBer.

His take was that the Jets want Rivers bad, the Chargers want to move him bad, and the signing bonuses that both teams would eat are close enough to a wash.

After seeing the Bolts last week, can you imagine if they added Vilma and another high #1? Talk about loaded. :blink:

513897[/snapback]

I doubt the Chargers will get a high #1 for Rivers, much less a quality player and a high #1. The Jets are one of the favorites for the Reggie Bush lotto, there's no way they give up a top 3 pick for Rivers.

I doubt the Chargers will get a high #1 for Rivers, much less a quality player and a high #1.  The Jets are one of the favorites for the Reggie Bush lotto, there's no way they give up a top 3 pick for Rivers.

513912[/snapback]

I don't think the Chargers would want the pick, anyway.

After seeing the Bolts last week, can you imagine if they added Vilma and another high #1? Talk about loaded. :blink:

513897[/snapback]

Makes no sense to me - why would the Jets trade away the best young linebacker and what will be a top 5 pick for a QB that's played 2 downs in the NFL? That would be highway robbery for the Chargers. So it would never happen IMO.

Makes no sense to me - why would the Jets trade away the best young linebacker and what will be a top 5 pick for a QB that's played 2 downs in the NFL?  That would be highway robbery for the Chargers.  So it would never happen IMO.

513919[/snapback]

Guess Boomer's a bigger QB homer than a Jets homer. :blink:

Guess Boomer's a bigger QB homer than a Jets homer. :blink:

513926[/snapback]

Yea, when I see stuff like that is what is said, I don't really mind living on the west coast and basically not watching the pregame shows at all. I'm not missing much, apparently.

the reason why the trade would make sense is if pennington is cooked it will still cost the jets a bad cap hit to ditch him.

if they trade vilma for rivers they won't have to pay the massive bonus that rivers got when he signed as the high pick that he was, so they can manage to fit him under their cap.

obviously the best thing for the jests is if pennington is OK and the get bush.

SD may well get a top 10 pick for rivers because he will come with a good contract (bonus and first couple years money has been paid allready)

the reason why the trade would make sense is if pennington is cooked it will still cost the jets a bad cap hit to ditch him.

if they trade vilma for rivers they won't have to pay the massive bonus that rivers got when he signed as the high pick that he was, so they can manage to fit him under their cap.

obviously the best thing for the jests is if pennington is OK and the get bush.

SD may well get a top 10 pick for rivers because he will come with a good contract (bonus and first couple years money has been paid allready)

513964[/snapback]

The part of the trade that makes no sense to me is the Vilma AND a #1 pick for Rivers. I can see Rivers-Vilma or Rivers-#1/#2 pick, but not the combination, seems like too much to give up from the Jets perspective, despite the desparation they may have for a QB if Pennington's not healthy.

The part of the trade that makes no sense to me is the Vilma AND a #1 pick for Rivers.  I can see Rivers-Vilma or Rivers-#1/#2 pick, but not the combination, seems like too much to give up from the Jets perspective, despite the desparation they may have for a QB if Pennington's not healthy.

513971[/snapback]

It's a question of supply and demand, and I think there are a lot of other teams interested in Rivers.

Makes no sense to me - why would the Jets trade away the best young linebacker and what will be a top 5 pick for a QB that's played 2 downs in the NFL?  That would be highway robbery for the Chargers.  So it would never happen IMO.

513919[/snapback]

unless Teflon Tom was involved.

He loves to overpay for QBs :blink:

I doubt the Chargers will get a high #1 for Rivers, much less a quality player and a high #1.  The Jets are one of the favorites for the Reggie Bush lotto, there's no way they give up a top 3 pick for Rivers.

513912[/snapback]

I agree....The jets are going to finish in the top 5 for the lottery picks....I

don't think Rivers is going to get a top 5 pick plus another Top linebacker in

the game Vilma....

Rivers will get a middle 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.....Again remeber there

are not many teams bidding for the services of Rivers.....Plus there are

other options available too in Ramsey, Schaub, Grossman (or Orton)....

:blink: Could be.

I forget, who else wanted RJ back in 98?

514088[/snapback]

SD definitely was in the running for RJ....That was one of the reasons

why we had to pay na steep price of a 1st and 4th for a guy who had

one career start.

I agree....The jets are going to finish in the top 5 for the lottery picks....I

don't think Rivers is going to get a  top 5 pick plus another Top linebacker in

the game Vilma....

Rivers will get a  middle 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.....Again remeber there

are not many teams bidding for the services of Rivers.....Plus there are

other options available too in Ramsey, Schaub, Grossman (or Orton)....

514365[/snapback]

just because a team has 2 QB's doesnt mean they are going to trade one. Chicago will keep both orton and grossman, and atlanta has said they arent giving up schaub.