8. Notre Dame

9. Miami

10. Auburn

11. West Virginia

12. UCLA

What I think will happen:

USC v. Texas

PSU v. LSU

V. Tech v. West Virginia (wouldn't mind seeing this re-match. I think another SEC team should get in before ANY Big East team but thats what happens with auto-bids from sh-- conferences).

ND v. OSU

What I want:

USC v. Texas (I'd take USC basically playing at home).

ND vs. 1. PSU 2. Miami 3. OSU (Would love any of these teams and I think we can take all 3).

LSU v. VT (Would be nice to see Vick try to take down LSU's D)

OSU v. W. Virginia (Bucks def. deserve a BCS....and even their fans are kidding themselves if they think ND will draw the Big East winner. Unless ND/OSU is in the cards then I fear they will get stuck with this one).

As a ND fan, I would love to get PSU, but I chose the other schools because I think Penn St. deserves to play someone ranked higher. LSU would be a great matchup I think. So would VT.

Who would you have?

ND is getting a BCS bid based on rep, while one loss Oregon gets the shaft.

Two loss ND did lose to 3-6 Mich St., correct ?

I'm not even sure my Buckeye team deserves a BCS bid and they lost their 2 games to #2 and #3.

Anyhow, I hear the Fiesta Bowl may want ND to play Penn St.

Ohio St. may wind up in the Orange Bowl against Virginia Tech

ND is getting a BCS bid based on rep, while one loss Oregon gets the shaft.

Two loss ND did lose to 3-6 Mich St., correct ?

I'm not even sure my Buckeye team deserves a BCS bid and they lost their 2 games to #2 and #3.

Anyhow, I hear the Fiesta Bowl may want ND to play Penn St.

Ohio St. may wind up in the Orange Bowl against Virginia Tech

509923[/snapback]

I agree w/ you on Oregon. Their only loss was to the top ranked team in the nation. What a bunch of BS. But, they know that ND brings a ton of cash w/ them in terms of a bowl game, much more than Oregon would. I mean, after all, in terms of merchandising, they are the top moneymaker in SPORTS! Not just college football, not just college athletics, any sport. Add in a very solid (and wealthy) group of alumni and the Irish get the benefit of the doubt in a lot of cases.

I have nothing against ND but when the BCS was first created, the rules stated ND would "automatically" get a slot in one of the games if they won 9 games. Didn't matter if other teams with better records/higher rankings would be left out. That just makes non ND fans dislike them.

Strength of Schedule - ND ranked #73

http://hurricane.lsu.edu/_gbe/comppoll/comppollsos.htm

I have nothing against ND but when the BCS was first created, the rules stated ND would "automatically" get a slot in one of the games if they won 9 games. Didn't matter if other teams with better records/higher rankings would be left out. That just makes non ND fans dislike them.

510198[/snapback]

That's one of the reason why I do have something against "that school".

510198[/snapback]

It sounds like you don't like ND. That's okay, it just makes some of us sad that you are probably not going to heaven.

Mark, Rich...believe me guys....I know how bad that MSU loss looks. I still shake my head at what happened that day. All I can gather is that the Spartans were a drastically different team the first month of the season. Something happened, ala Tennessee and they have totally shut down. Doesn't exuse anything, but I'm grasping for answers.

As far as Oregon goes, I don't give them the nod over either ND or OSU because I strongly believe that both the Irish and Buckeyes are better teams. I know that ND would beat Oregon if they played, and I bet OSU would do that same. That is why I think both teams should get in first. One loss or not...I'm looking for the best matchup.

I mean as you said, Rich, Oregon's only loss is to the #1 team in the country. PSU's only loss is to a 4-loss team. Do you think Oregon should be ranked higher than Penn St.? I don't see many Penn St. fans (or anyone for that matter) complaining that Oregon is so low in the BCS rankings for their 1-loss season.

Same with LSU....their SOS (according to that site) is #71...twenty spots lower than Oregon. And their only loss is to a SIX-loss team. Should Oregon be ranked higher than them? Do you think Oregon is better than them?

I know that if I wasn't an ND fan/alum I would look at it more objectively. But I still think Notre Dame is better than any of the 1 and 2 loss teams that may be left out of the BCS. And that is why they should get in.

my opinion... :devil:

New BCS....what would you like to see?

I'd like to see a live broadcast of whoever came up with this nonsense being drawn and quartered.

It sounds like you don't like ND. That's okay, it just makes some of us sad that you are probably not going to heaven.

:)

If Joe skips heaven, it will have nothing to do with who he roots for!

Mark, Rich...believe me guys....I know how bad that MSU loss looks. I still shake my head at what happened that day. All I can gather is that the Spartans were a drastically different team the first month of the season. Something happened, ala Tennessee and they have totally shut down. Doesn't exuse anything, but I'm grasping for answers.

As far as Oregon goes, I don't give them the nod over either ND or OSU because I strongly believe that both the Irish and Buckeyes are better teams. I know that ND would beat Oregon if they played, and I bet OSU would do that same. That is why I think both teams should get in first. One loss or not...I'm looking for the best matchup.

I mean as you said, Rich, Oregon's only loss is to the #1 team in the country. PSU's only loss is to a 4-loss team. Do you think Oregon should be ranked higher than Penn St.? I don't see many Penn St. fans (or anyone for that matter) complaining that Oregon is so low in the BCS rankings for their 1-loss season.

Same with LSU....their SOS (according to that site) is #71...twenty spots lower than Oregon. And their only loss is to a SIX-loss team. Should Oregon be ranked higher than them? Do you think Oregon is better than them?

I know that if I wasn't an ND fan/alum I would look at it more objectively. But I still think Notre Dame is better than any of the 1 and 2 loss teams that may be left out of the BCS. And that is why they should get in.

my opinion... :)

510273[/snapback]

They could bump Oregon up ahead of PSU, if the Ducks' schedule is as good or better. That would be fair. I'm just happy my team won something this year, even if it was the Big 11 title and not a national title. But, w/ how this year is ending up, we'd more than likely be the 3rd team of a 2 team race even if we would've beaten Michigan. That's a position that is quite familiar to PSU and their fans (5 unbeaten/untied seasons under JoePa w/ just 2 national titles), but it still sucks nevertheless.

Actually Bart, this is one of those years where I believe "that school" will actually perform well in a BCS game when they don't merit it based on their record, so that's not a big deal. It's not like some years, where they'd win 7 games, get a BCS bid, then get blown out by some average team. If you only looked @ records, Kansas wouldn't have won the NCAA basketball title when Larry Brown coached them.

Then again, basketball does have a playoff to decide a champion...

The BCS title game pits #1 vs. #2; after that, the goal is to do what the NCAA and the Bowls do best: Make money. That is the reason that the Top 12 BCS-ranked teams are eligible for the other three BCS bowl games, as opposed to just slotting in teams ranked 3 through 8. Using the top 12 gives the Bowls leeway to invite teams who have a travelling fan base which will be certain to sell out the game and bring in the most money. Providing an entertaining matchup is 2nd on their list.

That's why a team like Notre Dame (although they probably are deserving this year) will always receive a bid over a team like Oregon. The traditional Big Ten powers (UM, OSU, PSU, UW) all seem to travel well also, no matter where their team is playing, and especially if it is a warm-weather location.

Actually Bart, this is one of those years where I believe "that school" will actually perform well in a BCS game when they don't merit it based on their record, so that's not a big deal.  It's not like some years, where they'd win 7 games, get a BCS bid, then get blown out by some average team.

510372[/snapback]

I feel what you are saying (Notre Dame will usually get the nod because of the $$$), but I think you are vilifying us without much reason.

Since the BCS started in 1998, we have finished in the top 15 only twice and gone to a BCS bowl only once.

In 2000, we finished the regular season 9-2 and #11 in the BCS. We went to the Fiesta Bowl vs. Oregon St. and were completely embarrassed. V-Tech or Nebraska probably should have gone instead of us. I will give you that one.

In 2002, we finished the regular season 10-2 and #9 in the BCS. We were not invited to a BCS bowl and we ended up losing the Gator Bowl to NC St. (Our team was DECIMATED by injuries however).

So twice we have been BCS eligible and once we were selected. We never had a "seven win season" and a BCS bid (I assume you were exaggerating but, with you, who knows :) ). I can't see how you can build a trend off of our once-ever BCS selection.

I agree ND will probably be more likely than the average school to get an at-large BCS bid if they are eligible. But it is by no means a certainty as history shows.

510198[/snapback]

Not true (unless that rule changed prior to 2002, but I doubt such a rule was ever created). See my post above. In 2002, we won 10 games in the regular season and were not invited to a BCS bowl.

ANY team that wins at least 9 games and finishes in the top 12 of the BCS is eligible. That is the at-large rule. In our history, we have done this twice and have a 50% selection rate.

Come on Mark, cut us some slack brother... :)

My preference is for either USC or Texas to get upset and Penn State move up to #2 (or #1 if both slip :doh:)

Otherwise I'd like to see Penn State vs:

Notre Dame, Old school classic

Florida State, Paterno vs Bowden

Virginia Tech, I live in VA and would love to give the Hokie fans a nice big can of STFU

Rose Bowl -- USC v. Texas (the Dream Matchup everyone wants).

Fiesta Bowl -- Notre Dame v. Ohio State (three Fiesta trips in 4 years for my beloved Buckeyes, who are 2-0 all time against the Irish).

Sugar Bowl -- LSU v. West Virginia (the Mountaineers are my second-favorite team, since Mom is from WV).

Orange Bowl -- Penn State v. Virginia Tech (a really good matchup).

Mike

Ohio St. is really gonna get screwed in all of this...2 losses, to the #2 and #3/4 team in the country, but all the samn voters and BCS sees is that big 2 in the loss column...

fugg the BCS...

of course, i'll get a good laugh this weekend when the 'noles pull one out of our azzes against Va tech and get the auto bid...

My preference is for either USC or Texas to get upset and Penn State move up to #2 (or #1 if both slip 0:))

Otherwise I'd like to see Penn State vs:

Notre Dame, Old school classic

Florida State, Paterno vs Bowden

Virginia Tech, I live in VA and would love to give the Hokie fans a nice big can of STFU

511646[/snapback]

If Texas or USC loses, why should Penn State move up instead of LSU? If LSU wins the SEC championship, they will have beaten 4 Top 25 teams while PSU will have only 2 wins over top 25 teams.

Everyone loves the Joe Pa Story .... blah blah blah. LSU is a better team than PSU, and plays in a tougher conference. Give LSU some love instead just conceding that PSU will get into the National Championship game if the top dogs lose.

Ohio St. is really gonna get screwed in all of this...2 losses, to the #2 and #3/4 team in the country, but all the samn voters and BCS sees is that big 2 in the loss column...

fugg the BCS...

of course, i'll get a good laugh this weekend when the 'noles pull one out of our azzes against Va tech and get the auto bid...

517297[/snapback]

Doesn't Oregon only have one loss to the #1 team in the country?

Everyone loves the Joe Pa Story .... blah blah blah. 

517829[/snapback]

Especially us Penn State homers

LSU is a better team than PSU, and plays in a tougher conference. 

517829[/snapback]

Thats debatable, and a useless debate at that. a playoff system would settle the matter

Give LSU some love instead just conceding that PSU will get into the National Championship game if the top dogs lose.

517829[/snapback]

Can't give LSU any love. Born and raised in Pennsylvania, I have but one true love. My heart will always bleed blue and white

We ARE Penn State

If Texas or USC loses, why should Penn State move up instead of LSU?  If LSU wins the SEC championship, they will have beaten 4 Top 25 teams while PSU will have only 2 wins over top 25 teams.

Everyone loves the Joe Pa Story .... blah blah blah.  LSU is a better team than PSU, and plays in a tougher conference.  Give LSU some love instead just conceding that PSU will get into the National Championship game if the top dogs lose.

517829[/snapback]

see what happens when you talk smack <_<

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.