Dom Capers or Jim Haslett Take your pick

NavyBillsFan

Lets say Grey is gone after this year. N.O. is a huge mess and Dom is out the door in Houston.

You figure both of these guys were hired by TD and ran a GREAT D in Pittsburgh. TD is going to get one of these two. Which is better? Im trying to locate some D stats back in the 90's.

Which would make the better coach?

I say Dom is more hard lined

Lets say Grey is gone after this year.  N.O. is a huge mess and Dom is out the door in Houston.

You figure both of these guys were hired by TD and ran a GREAT D in Pittsburgh.  TD is going to get one of these two.  Which is better?  Im trying to locate some D stats back in the 90's. 

Which would make the better coach?

I say Dom is more hard lined

506046[/snapback]

If Grey leaves, I wouldn't be surprised to see our LB coach, Don Blackmon, take over. The guys really like him.

If Grey leaves, I wouldn't be surprised to see our LB coach, Don Blackmon, take over. The guys really like him.

506057[/snapback]

I'm guessing you're basing this inpart because he has experience as a DC in Atlanta? Though I want to point out under Blackmon, the Falcons ranked last in the NFL in pass defense (243.9 yards), yards per play (6.1) and third-down efficiency (46.3 percent). Their run defense was the NFL's second-worst (121.4).

In response to the original question, I'd much rather have Capers then Haslett. Yet as I've posted previously I feel Haslett wold get the job inpart because he was coaching Pitt at the time that Mularkey was coaching there. Whereas Capers was the HC in Carolina at the time.

I don't think Haslett will get fired this year. Many of the Saints problems were not his fault this year. I think the team keeps him one more year. When they move to LA in 2007, they'll get a new coach...

506134[/snapback]

I think you are right. For whatever reason, something always seems to happen every year to "save" Hasletts job...he is a pretty bad head coach. His teams should win more than they do. The new Wayne Fontes, or is that Mike Tice?

He may be better as a DC, but if the Bills keep Mularkey, having Haslett lurking in the backround could be an unhealthy situation. Haslett is almost as immature now, as he was when he was a player. Maturity has only taught him to apologize after making an ass of himself, not to stop doing it. I could forsee his prescence causing division and infighting. Those things seem to be present wherever Haslett is...plus, his comments about Kent Hull really hit a nerve with me...he and Smerlas were great players in their prime, but both were always first class a-holes!

I think we could do worse than Capers as the DC. I think he has been through enough as a HC, I could forsee him being content in a lesser role. Plus, he has a somewhat proven track record as a DC, and if I am not mistaken, was a Bills assistant at one time, wasn't he?

Pesonally, I have never been overly impressed by Jerry Gray. Nothing against him, but I really think the defense rose its' level of play two years ago when Dick LaBeau was there, and they were running off those fumes last year...I just remember over and over last year, how often defensive players talked about what a positive influence LeBeau was on them, rarely mentioning Gray...

I'm guessing you're basing this inpart because he has experience as a DC in Atlanta? Though I want to point out under Blackmon, the Falcons ranked last in the NFL in pass defense (243.9 yards), yards per play (6.1) and third-down efficiency (46.3 percent). Their run defense was the NFL's second-worst (121.4).

In response to the original question, I'd much rather have Capers then Haslett. Yet as I've posted previously I feel Haslett wold get the job inpart because he was coaching Pitt at the time that Mularkey was coaching there. Whereas Capers was the HC in Carolina at the time.

506086[/snapback]

The Bills defense Under Gregg Williams wasnt that good either until we added players.

Ide rather see an experienced guy, but Blackmon does have the players respect, which means alot.

Let me be first to say that Gray aint going anywhere.

However, playing your game...

the next DC depends on who does the hiring... Donahoe or Malarkey. If it's Donahoe, it's Capers... and a switch to the 3-4 which means several new faces along the front 7 that can be effective in that defense.

If Malarkey makes the hiring, he will promote from within the organization. Blackmon would be the guy. Krumrie's out... he ain't doing that great with his defensive linemen, in my opinion. D line is the weak link on D and he's had 3 years to work his magic. Szabo, I believe, would be the best candidate, but, his age, and whether he wants to deal with it might be an issue.

The STEELERS Light thing is just not working!

506290[/snapback]

I hear you! I have always kind of wondered why we are trying to emmulate the Steelers. I know they win a lot of regular season games (like Buffalo did for a while), but ultimately, they have never done anything....I am not even that sold on the fact that Cowher is a great coach, but I do think there is something to be said for continuity!

I hear you!  I have always kind of wondered why we are trying to emmulate the Steelers.  I know they win a lot of regular season games (like Buffalo did for a while), but ultimately, they have never done anything....I am not even that sold on the fact that Cowher is a great coach, but I do think there is something to be said for continuity!

506775[/snapback]

The Steelers are the Atlanta Braves of football.

Let me be first to say that Gray aint going anywhere.

However, playing your game...

the next DC depends on who does the hiring... Donahoe or Malarkey.  If it's Donahoe, it's Capers... and a switch to the 3-4 which means several new faces along the front 7 that can be effective in that defense.

If Malarkey makes the hiring, he will promote from within the organization.  Blackmon would be the guy.  Krumrie's out... he ain't doing that great with his defensive linemen, in my opinion. D line is the weak link on D and he's had 3 years to work his magic. Szabo, I believe,  would be the best candidate, but, his age, and whether he wants to deal with it might be an issue.

506331[/snapback]

Total disagree, MM didn't bring gray in with him. That was williams choice. He'll be good as gone.

Total disagree, MM didn't bring gray in with him. That was williams choice. He'll be good as gone.

506942[/snapback]

If capers is available and willing to come to BUffalo, MM will jump on him...

Remember MM first offered the DC job to LeBeau, who chose the Steelers instead.

Gray was a holdover from the GW era