All this hype about the Chargers

Like A Mofo

They are #1 in yards/games, but they are #31 in attempts against/game.  When your pass defense is suspect teams aren't going to run on you all day...

Further, the only top ten runner they've faced (total yards) is Tiki Barber, and he had 15 carries (for 60 yards) against them. 

Chargers built a reputation based on last year's performance.  Last year they got their record pretty much the same way the Bills got theirs: by beating a bunch of non-playoff teams.  You do have to give them credit as they were able to beat all the non-playoff teams they faced (unlike the Bills last year), but when it came to facing teams that made the playoffs, they had one victory, and that was against a divisional foe.

This year they are looking to repeat that pattern.  Of course that means with us being a "non-playoff" team they should beat us.  But I have trouble figuring out what all the hoopla is about them sometimes too...

504753[/snapback]

Excellent post and you presented good facts and also exposed how overrated rankings can be.

Im not suggesting here that the Bills are on their way to the playoffs because of last's weeks game...I dont drinking that much kool-aid...Im just simply observing the other team...people are making SD out to be this big deal when yet if you really look at the team as a whole, they arent THAT special.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see the Bills really key on Gates & shut him down. The other San Diego receivers don't scare me that much.

504797[/snapback]

The Bills have not shut down a quality TE in years. My biggest fear is that LT runs effectively and keeps the Bills O off the field.

TG 8 for 81 yards, not exactly shutting down.

Gates will need to be controlled to a game similar to Gonzalez or it could get ugly because LT is gonna get his.

505572[/snapback]

Larry Johnson got his last week and the Chiefs scored 3 points.

Seems there is SO much hype about the Chargers...and yes, offensively, with Gates and LT, they are a nightmare to matchup with....but has anyone seen their defense, especially their pass defense?!  Putrid!!!! And get in a close game with Marty..Ill take my chances with his conservative style and questionable playcalling.

Sure, the Bills will have a hard time stopping SD, but why cant the Bills move the ball on SD's defense if Brooks Bollinger can??

Discuss.

504495[/snapback]

I have a good feeling about Sunday (we're doomed)...but if it were a playoff game, I'd have a GREAT feeling about it. There are few coaches worse in the playoffs than Marty S.

I have a good feeling about Sunday (we're doomed)...but if it were a playoff game, I'd have a GREAT feeling about it.  There are few coaches worse in the playoffs than Marty S.

505823[/snapback]

Same good feeling, here. RG Goff, C Hartwick, and RT Oben are banged up, as well as strong pass rusher ROLB Foley.

The Bills are not a top club, but they are good enough to sneak up on the opposition and surprise. KC came in with good reason to be confident, but ended up IMO, panicking in a weather-factor contest and not just go on pounding.

40 passes with a normally decent qb obviously off of his game in iffy winds. Dopey.

<_<

To put things in their proper perspective...

The Bills rank 31st defensively against the Run and San Diego is #1 against the run. That ain't good news for Bills fans.

However, SanDiego ranks 30th against the pass (allowing 61.8% completions) and the Bills rank 2nd (allowing 59.8% completions)

What's it all mean? both defenses got a lot of work to do.

Who's going to win? On paper, SD, on the field, we'll see.

I find the criticism a bit harsh for the best rush defense in the league.

Only team to average under 80 yards rushing allowed a game, and even if the pass D isn't that great (30th) they are third in the NFL in sacks.

504593[/snapback]

They may be 3rd in sacks because teams pass more than they would against other teams because the Chargers suck so bad at defending it. More drop backs = more oppurtunities to get sacks.

TG 8 for 81 yards, not exactly shutting down.

Gates will need to be controlled to a game similar to Gonzalez or it could get ugly because LT is gonna get his.

505572[/snapback]

But only 14 of those 81 came in the first half, when Vincent was in the game. that makes a huge difference. I'd like to see Vincent spend the day shadowing Gates deep, Crowelll playing him underneath, our corners in man, and the other seven dedicated to LT and the pass rush. Keep Milloy at the line the whole game. And if they beat us by getting their WR's open against our CB's, then tip your cap to them. But if Gates (80 yards) and Tomlinson (120 yards) get appx their season average, I think we should win.

To put things in their proper perspective...

The Bills rank 31st defensively against the Run and San Diego is #1 against the run.  That ain't good news for Bills fans.

However, SanDiego ranks 30th against the pass (allowing 61.8% completions) and the Bills rank 2nd (allowing 59.8% completions)

What's it all mean?  both defenses got a lot of work to do.

Who's going to win?  On paper, SD, on the field, we'll see.

505867[/snapback]

One stat I haven't seen mentioned - SD is 22nd in rushing TD's allowed. They can be run on in short-yardage situations. The Bills last week didn't score after reaching the KC 7, 9, and 13 (from TMQ). They need to this week, and they need to win or lose with McGahee on those 3rd and 4th and shorts.

I fully agree with winning or losing with Mcgahee on 3rd and 4th down. Now convince Mularkey and Clements.

Mr. McGahee needs to convince Mr. Malarkey and Mr. Clements. When Mr. McGahee can be trusted to blow up a blitzer effectively, convincingly, and consistenly, plus show ability, and realiabilty to catch passes, he will be considered.

But only 14 of those 81 came in the first half, when Vincent was in the game.  that makes a huge difference.  I'd like to see Vincent spend the day shadowing Gates deep, Crowelll playing him underneath, our corners in man, and the other seven dedicated to LT and the pass rush.  Keep Milloy at the line the whole game.  And if they beat  us by getting their WR's open against our CB's, then tip your cap to them.  But if Gates (80 yards) and Tomlinson (120 yards) get appx their season average, I think we should win.

One stat I haven't seen mentioned - SD is 22nd in rushing TD's allowed.  They can be run on in short-yardage situations.  The Bills last week didn't score after reaching the KC 7, 9, and 13 (from TMQ).  They need to this week, and they need to win or lose with McGahee on those 3rd and 4th and shorts.

506350[/snapback]

TG has more touches only the last few weeks...Look at his stats over the season...He has been a more of a blocking TE..

Is there any news about Vincents health. I know he left the game and was replaced by Baker.

The Bills MUST punch it in when in the redzone...I think we are probably the worst redzone team in the league right now.....It goes all the way back to game 1, when we settled for 4 or 5 field goals....and those came to bite us in the Tampa and Atlanta games...

Finally, McGahee needs to be in the game on 3rd downs...whether it is 3rd and short or 3rd and long....There is nothing like giving a breather...In fact you might be taking the RB from his rythm.