Mike Williams

Thailog80

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but with Big Mike's salary, I don't think he's GOT long to prove himself at guard.  Geisinger is a rookie just adapting to the NFL, much less to OG, and is making peanuts.

502021[/snapback]

Regardless of his pay, Big Mike is simply not going to be fluent in guard reads right away, as Geisinger wasn't in preseason. Those two are both career OTs. That Big Mike had the same problems with stunt recognition that Geisinger had in preseason should be NO SURPRISE at all. What is shocking is that the Bill brass seems to have expected differently, and got frustrated in mid-game about it. I find that absolutely shocking. If the expectation was for immediate success, then Justin should have started, because he was doing better with such reads later in preseason and actually has a few preseason games playing OG. Big Mike has ZERO. I'd even wager that the 4.0 Vandy boy has the advantage upstairs as well...

Regardless, this was a shocking indication of absolute cluelessness by the Bill brass, the type of cluelessness needed to spend a #4 overall on Big Mike in the first place...

Regardless of his pay, Big Mike is simply not going to be fluent in guard reads right away, as Geisinger wasn't in preseason.  Those two are both career OTs.  That Big Mike had the same problems with stunt recognition that Geisinger had in preseason should be NO SURPRISE at all.  What is shocking is that the Bill brass seems to have expected differently, and got frustrated in mid-game about it.  I find that absolutely shocking.  If the expectation was for immediate success, then Justin should have started, because he was doing better with such reads later in preseason and actually has a few preseason games playing OG.  Big Mike has ZERO.  I'd even wager that the 4.0 Vandy boy has the advantage upstairs as well...

The Bills didn't want a rookie at LG, otherwise they probably would have started Preston (which I HOPE happens now). So it was either take a chance on Big Mike and hope that at least he shows something, or stick with Anderson. So after Mike showed he couldn't hack it, it was back to Big Ben. I don't think keeping Big Mike in there would have helped things any, if not made things worse.

Regardless, this was a shocking indication of absolute cluelessness by the Bill brass, the type of cluelessness needed to spend a #4 overall on Big Mike in the first place...

This has been rehashed time and time again. It seemed like a good pick at the time. Personally I think the problem lies with Big Mike's motivation and toughness more than anything, and as they say, you can't measure heart and desire.

How bout Gandy on the head fake sack....??

501753[/snapback]

For the record, that wasn't a "head fake sack." After the snap, the DE (Allen I believe) turned his back and made a move downfield as if he were dropping into zone-blitz coverage; he then turned back around and rushed towards the QB. It was a really cool play, actually. Keep in mind that Gandy never played tackle full-time before. He needs to see those kinds of things (and get burned by them) as part of his learning curve. That play wasn't about technique - it was about knowledge and execution. I doubt it happens again.

Keep in mind that Gandy never played tackle full-time before.  He needs to see those kinds of things (and get burned by them) as part of his learning curve.  That play wasn't about technique - it was about knowledge and execution.  I doubt it happens again.

Actually Gandy played LT for the Bears for I think it was 20 games. However I think it's what you said, i.e. it looked like a zone blitz and he lost him.

"The Bills didn't want a rookie at LG, otherwise they probably would have started Preston (which I HOPE happens now)."

Hopefully, the Bills just want a LG who is something other than a disaster. If there is one qualification to play LG for the Bills, it is being over 340 and sukkin. That's the resume the Bills are lookin for...

"So it was either take a chance on Big Mike and hope that at least he shows something, or stick with Anderson. So after Mike showed he couldn't hack it, it was back to Big Ben. I don't think keeping Big Mike in there would have helped things any, if not made things worse."

One needs experience to get it right. You don't seem to comprehend that. There was absolutely no point of just putting Big Mike in there for a half only to "discover" that he is totally clueless as an OG right now. ANYONE with a brain knew that. Hooking him only verified just how clueless the Bills were on that subject.

"This (Big Mike at #4) has been rehashed time and time again."

To some of us who watched Big Mike at Texas, it was clear at the time that he was not going to cut it pass blocking as an ORT in the NFL. However, that is not what impressed the Bill brass. What impressed the Bill brass was his size, just like with Bennie. Nobody who knows anything about OL play could possibly have justified $5 mil for what was on the Raven game film. The similarity is absolute. Bennie and Mike are the SAME wrong read... that being that SIZE = quality OL. Ever hear of Langston Walker of the Raiders? Oh, my gosh, he's a second rounder 6'8" 340 - must be awesome...

"It seemed like a good pick at the time."

And precisely what evidence was there of that?

A quote from a Draft "guru?"

Admiring Mike's huge size with no clue as to how that would translate on an NFL field?

Do yourself a big favor and ignore the guru quotes and pay attention to what you observe yourself. If you do that, you will discover yourself just how clueless most "gurus" are to start with...

Guest BackInDaDay
First pass play, he helped double team somebody Gandy clearly had under control, and in the meantime, a stunting DT came right through the gaping hole to cause 3 and out.

502235[/snapback]

How was his run blocking? Did he get under the DT, or was he pushing? Curious to see if his bad habits as an OT inhibited the running game.

Because he sucked.

He got beat at least twice, and the fumble/sack on Holcomb inside the Chiefs 15 yard line was completely his fault, as he missed his man.

501651[/snapback]

I didn't realize that. I just know one time he was late switching over to his guy on a passing play which lead to a sack. I'm not sure if you were talking about that play. It was a bad game for Mike, but remember it was his 1st game at left guard in his career. Maybe he'll come back next week.

ok, sorry if this has been posted.

what the hell is up with this guy?

he was REPLACED by our BUM of a OG. what is this guy good for?

i saw a stat during the game, 30 sacks given up in the past 3 seasons. WTF.

is this guy even a starter anymore?

I watched big Mike at left guard for the first 3 series and when he was was blocking 1 on 1 he did very well. He pulled pretty good on a counter run we ran and did a good job run blocking.

He was very slow recognizing a basic DE/DT stunt twice and the second one he missed was the one that got Holcombe killed.

As a new guard, you have to be thinking and anticipating the other team would run stunts to take advantage of you in a new position. I don't think his head is in the game to be honest with you.

ok, sorry if this has been posted.

what the hell is up with this guy?

he was REPLACED by our BUM of a OG. what is this guy good for?

i saw a stat during the game, 30 sacks given up in the past 3 seasons. WTF.

is this guy even a starter anymore?

502427[/snapback]

Give me a break. Sure he sucked, but you can't throw a guy out there with 4 days practice under his belt and expect him to not get confused on assignments. It was a bad coaching move to try it. It will take time to make the move, granted, time might be one thing that Williams doesn't have.

Give me a break.  Sure he sucked, but you can't throw a guy out there with 4 days practice under his belt and expect him to not get confused on assignments.  It was a bad coaching move to try it.  It will take time to make the move, granted, time might be one thing that Williams doesn't have.

502456[/snapback]

Exactly.

I would've thought people here would want to give him a gameball for getting KH out.

CW

Do yourself a big favor and ignore the guru quotes and pay attention to what you observe yourself.  If you do that, you will discover yourself just how clueless most "gurus" are to start with...

Let me know when that job as an NFL scout or GM comes through, LD. It's not NEARLY as easy as you make it out to be. I agree with you that the "gurus" don't know everything, but neither do most of us, and Monday morning quarterbacking doesn't mean you know everything.

Give me a break. Sure he sucked, but you can't throw a guy out there with 4 days practice under his belt and expect him to not get confused on assignments. It was a bad coaching move to try it. It will take time to make the move, granted, time might be one thing that Williams doesn't have.

Belechick moves his guys around all of the time and makes it work.

This is Mike's 4th season. He's probably logged over 2,500 offensive snaps by now. I woulda thunk between what he's expereinced plus the tons of game tape he's watched, he should understood what oline play is all about by now... even assignments of other linemen. So, my expectation is that Mike, knowing that he has a new assignment, would be putting in extra time and effort in preparing for this. He said he was ready. We, the fans, should stop pampering this 360 lb. underachieving $7m baby. The ball is in Mike's court. He'll either sink or swim. We just need to stop making excuses for why this guy doesn't do the job.

This guy is physically gifted. More so than any other lineman the Bills have (except perhaps Peters). Given his physical gifts, it then comes down to two last things, "Pride" and "passion". Mike does not appear to have either when it comes to playing this game. Rather than having the Bills let him go, he should retire.

Give me a break.  Sure he sucked, but you can't throw a guy out there with 4 days practice under his belt and expect him to not get confused on assignments.  It was a bad coaching move to try it.  It will take time to make the move, granted, time might be one thing that Williams doesn't have.

502456[/snapback]

Sure its a new position, but as a Tackle if you don't know or undestand the what the Guard is responcible for, you shouldn't be on the field.

Sure its a new position, but as a Tackle if you don't know or undestand the what the Guard is responcible for, you shouldn't be on the field.

502502[/snapback]

It's not a matter of knowing who he's responsible for, it's a matter of doing it enough times so that he can instantly react while it's happening. If he stops for just a moment to think he's beaten. All the film study and classroom time he puts in will only take him so far.