Congratulations to Hines Ward

Alaska Darin

I presume it is just me, but I had no idea who Hines Ward was until 2 seasons ago... I never realized he has been around since '98 and has been pretty productive since 2001.

However, from what I have seen the past couple of years - the guy is the consummate football player.

Like most everyone else on this board, I friggin HATE the Steelers.....but Hines Ward is one of my favorite players. Just really seems like one of the good guys in life, not just the NFL. Congrats Hines!

Passing John Stallworth as the alltime leading receiver in Steelers history.  One of the good guys in the NFL.

502163[/snapback]

Why is he such a good guy? I know this is the conventional wisdom, but I have never seen any evidence of it. No one, and I mean no one, on that Steelers team has talked more pre-game trash than Ward in their multiple playoff thrashings by the Patriots.

Passing John Stallworth as the alltime leading receiver in Steelers history.  One of the good guys in the NFL.

502163[/snapback]

For anyone who's had ACL surgery, (I've had two ) could you imagine not having one and playing in the NFL? The guy is amazing.

Hines played three positions – quarterback, tailback and wideout – at Georgia. His versatility was a godsend in college but a deterrent to the NFL. He was a classic tweener; no one knew how to fit him in. Things got worse when a doctor examining his left knee at the combine looked up and said, "Damn, son, you have no ACL."

"That's great," Ward said. "Then I can't tear it."

"No, that's not great," the doctor said.

The ACL lost its life somewhere in Forest Park, the fatality stemming from a bicycle accident when Hines was 9. It caused his already iffy, what-position-does-he-play stock to drop more. The Steelers took him in the third round in 1998, and he spent his rookie year on special teams. The next year he became a starter and tied for the team lead with 61 catches.

Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/proxy.dll...%3fid%3d1909641

I just like the fact that every time they show him on the football field, he has a smile on his face - seems like he really enjoys the game (then again, its probably easy to enjoy the game when you're with a franchise that continually wins like Shittsburgh)

Why is he such a good guy?  I know this is the conventional wisdom, but I have never seen any evidence of it.  No one, and I mean no one, on that Steelers team has talked more pre-game trash than Ward in their multiple playoff thrashings by the Patriots.

502692[/snapback]

A confident professional athlete? Must be a dick. ;)

A confident attitude without the ability to back it up?  Must be a Steeler.

503760[/snapback]

Sorry, if you swapped QBs in any game between the Steelers and Pats then Pittsburgh wins in a walk. That sure as hell ain't Hines Ward's fault.

Personally, I'd happily take their last decade of success over ours.