Jim Kelly For Mayor

Whoever said you had to be smart to run for mayor? I would rather have a leader than some cookie cutter follower who says whatever they think it will take to get elected.

498602[/snapback]

Kelly certainly deswerbed to get into the NFL HOF on the first ballot, but this is such a long way off from becoming the Mayor of a US City that I don't think this has been talked about or taken seriously by folks at all.

Kelly obviously has celebrity and money and this helps a lot, but he has some pretty bad episodes and bad feelings among many non-Bills addicted (and some Bills addicted fans actually) that he would have a number of tough humps to get over (even factoring in the great sympathy and sadness that Hunter Kelly's situtation caused.

Specifically,

1. A lot of WNY small businesses got the royal screw job by Jim Kelly's company suddenly closed his restaurant. That's business and it happens, but folks from the company that washed the laundry, to the marketing companies that developed advertisements to a ton of little folks who waitered and all and woke up one morning unemployed and never suspected that a company owned by Jimbo would leave them high and dry with no warning were really pissed.

2. In his younger days Jimbo had a number of runs in with an adoring public leading to reports like the one that he threw a drink in a girls face.

3. He led by doing with the Bills but when he opened his mouth it was a big part of his teams being called the Bickering Bills. It was actually the team developing a shared leadership model as folks like Tasker got respect with their good play that provided the winning balance we needed. The first SB team may well have lost because they partied too hard before the game as Jimbo was a football leader on the field but a party and drinking leader off the field.

4. Post playing he has had a few bizarre episodes like the one where his plane crashed hunting and he told a story of his dodging death afterwards which simply did not hold water as truth in terms of the risk he underwent to kill Bambi.

I really doubt Kelly would survive the political hardball of a campaign.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.  He led by doing with the Bills but when he opened his mouth it was a big part of his teams being called the Bickering Bills. It was actually the team developing a shared leadership model as folks like Tasker got respect with their good play that provided the winning balance we needed. The first SB team may well have lost because they partied too hard before the game as Jimbo was a football leader on the field but a party and drinking leader off the field.

499005[/snapback]

Regarding #3. It always seemed to me that Kelly would shoot off his mouth in the Buftown press...but he always said the right thing on the National stage.

My point? Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is he's not right for Mayor of Buffalo...but, he may be able to run for President.

WOW...THAT'S a scary thought! :huh:

Perhaps those who would push him for mayor should stop to realize that he has never actually LIVED in the city of Buffalo.

County executive or congressman, maybe. Hell this is an area that elected Rutkowski and Kemp. But not mayor.

Regarding #3.  It always seemed to me that Kelly would shoot off his mouth in the Buftown press...but he always said the right thing on the National stage.

My point?  Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is he's not right for Mayor of Buffalo...but, he may be able to run for President.

WOW...THAT'S a scary thought! :huh:

499009[/snapback]

The poimt you make about it beig scary that perhaps any boy can be President as the song says is why I love the movie In Like Flint.

The evil folks who are trying to take over the world have replaced the President with an actor after anesthetizing all the Secret Service and the folks around him with an explosing golf ball.

Derek Flint sneaks his way into the whole plot and rips back the curtain on the whole thing and the criminals reveal their plan. Well before the days of the Ronald Reagan presidency Flint hears it all and says incredulously, "Now let me get this straight, you expect that an actor can be President?

In his younger days Jimbo had a number of runs in with an adoring public leading to reports like the one that he threw a drink in a girls face.

It's been mentioned that the OP police did an excellent job on numerous occasions keeping things quiet....

In all seriousness, has he ever mentioned this as a possibility for the future.  He cares about the city, has the $$ and I think it would a refreshing option from the political goons who continue to try and run this city.  Any thoughts???  Has he ever been approached on this topic??

498480[/snapback]

He probably couldn't do any worse than a numbskull former college basketball player.

Well he would have to be the mayor of Orchard Park. He doesn't live in Buffalo. The business that failed was a bunch on investors and Jim of course is the only one that people actually KNOW so he gets all the blame. I wish that would go away.

Very. Bad. Idea.

Politicians are already too much celebrities. We keep electing face-men because we know them from their roles as the Terminator or Dirty Harry, and politicians are trying hard to imitate TV actors and movie stars. Until the U.S. public can remember once again the difference between sports, movies and governing, we will be ripe for any PR campaign some political consultant dreams up.

A city is not a football team, or a movie, or a TV show.

Kelly certainly deswerbed to get into the NFL HOF on the first ballot, but this is such a long way off from becoming the Mayor of a US City that I don't think this has been talked about or taken seriously by folks at all.

Kelly obviously has celebrity and money and this helps a lot, but he has some pretty bad episodes and bad feelings among many non-Bills addicted (and some Bills addicted fans actually) that he would have a number of tough humps to get over (even factoring in the great sympathy and sadness that Hunter Kelly's situtation caused.

Specifically,

1. A lot of WNY small businesses got the royal screw job by Jim Kelly's company suddenly closed his restaurant.  That's business and it happens, but folks from the company that washed the laundry, to the marketing companies that developed advertisements to a ton of little folks who waitered and all and woke up one morning unemployed and never suspected that a company owned by Jimbo would leave them high and dry with no warning were really pissed.

2. In his younger days Jimbo had a number of runs in with an adoring public leading to reports like the one that he threw a drink in a girls face.

3.  He led by doing with the Bills but when he opened his mouth it was a big part of his teams being called the Bickering Bills. It was actually the team developing a shared leadership model as folks like Tasker got respect with their good play that provided the winning balance we needed. The first SB team may well have lost because they partied too hard before the game as Jimbo was a football leader on the field but a party and drinking leader off the field.

4. Post playing he has had a few bizarre episodes like the one where his plane crashed hunting and he told a story of his dodging death afterwards which simply did not hold water as truth in terms of the risk he underwent to kill Bambi.

499005[/snapback]

1 Do you think jk feels bad about the $$$$ screwing. I wonder when he sits on the porch of his million dollar home that sits on 500 acres in Ellicotville what he thinks.

I like to heard jk's side of his alleged refusal to pay the 2003 snowmobile trail maintance fee ($20) story.

I doubt jk would run for office, that could open up the closet door on one of the most persistent rumours in O.P. would have to be answered.

I was reading some comments on the newly elected mayor in Buffalo Rising which is 'New Buffalo's' new on-line read and there were some interesting points that were discussed in a comment section.  Any thoughts?

http://www.buffalorising.com/home/archives...alo_mayoral.php

499270[/snapback]

The thought that Brown's election simply represents business as usual in Buffalo strikes me as a little bizarre.

Ultimately this may be the case as the the results produced by his Administration may be good or they may be bad and this is what elections are about.

However, the notion that his election is simply the same as it has usually been ignores the simple fact that like it or not he is the first Mayor of African-American descent ever elected by Buffalo.

This fact certainly does not guarantee he will be good nor does it guarantee he will be bad. However, this is simply the fact and has some significance to it. Folks can reasonably disagree about how significant this is or what it means, but it certainly is a great sign for the Buffalo electorate that it proved for the first time to be able to ignore race and to simply judge a candidate by their view of his character and his prospects for doing good.

As with all elected officials, the initial days of his term will be a test. it will be a test of whether Brown does actually operate from the base which brought him to political power (the virtually totally African-American Grassroots Inc) or operates based on the wishes of the unions and other big money folks that built a significant campaign war chest for him.

Things will be different (we will see if this is different good or different bad) if he dances with the ones who brung him and we see him bringing in a significant part of the Grassroots base to help him implement his vision. Things will be the same if we see the same ol same ol powers that be which were part of the Massielo crew which brought us a control board.

Some folks seem to feel these are the same folks but I think they are incorrect. The Denis Gorski crew which was close to Grassroots and the African-Americans who were the leaders of Grassroots are different that the City Hall crew of Tony Masiello.

If we see heads roll at City Hall on the face of it this is good. If we see the same folks then it is business as usual.

Folks who do not understand that this is the FIRST time a person of A-A descent was elected Mayor of Buffalo and do not see that this is at least somewhat different are simply missing a major fact in their analysis.

The poimt you make about it beig scary that perhaps any boy can be President as the song says is why I love the movie In Like Flint.

The evil folks who are trying to take over the world have replaced the President with an actor after anesthetizing all the Secret Service and the folks around him with an explosing golf ball.

Derek Flint sneaks his way into the whole plot and rips back the curtain on the whole thing and the criminals reveal their plan.  Well before the days of the Ronald Reagan presidency Flint hears it all and says incredulously, "Now let me get this straight, you expect that an actor can be President?

499077[/snapback]

Correct you are, Double M. In Like Flint was/is a terrific movie. (Nice babes, too!)

Whoever said you had to be smart to run for mayor? I would rather have a leader than some cookie cutter follower who says whatever they think it will take to get elected.

498602[/snapback]

Yeah, Adam West is a great Mayor of Quahog, R.I.

Very. Bad. Idea.

Politicians are already too much celebrities.  We keep electing face-men because we know them from their roles as the Terminator or Dirty Harry, and politicians are trying hard to imitate TV actors and movie stars.  Until the U.S. public can remember once again the difference between sports, movies and governing, we will be ripe for any PR campaign some political consultant dreams up.

A city is not a football team, or a movie, or a TV show.

499233[/snapback]

It worked for Reagan.... ;)