Unexpectely good movies

ieatcrayonz

Oh, man, yer killin' me.

And the movie I thought was unexpectedly great was "Napolean Dynamite." Never, ever thought I'd like it, but I laughed my ass off at the dryness of it, and by the time Lafawnda showed up, I was laughing so hard I think I peed myself a little bit.

496982[/snapback]

I took you as more of a Harold and Kumar getting Burgers type of guy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, i thought AvP would be crappy and it turned out to be indeed very crappy

i did go into batman begins with below average expectations (since #3 and 4 were incredibly bad) and was blown away

496566[/snapback]

Maybe you just weren't paying attention in Alien versus Predator.

Did you see the part where they explained why the pyramids were on Earth? They used the Hyroglyphics and everything. I thought the first Alien was good, the second was ok and the rest stank. Predator always stank, but this movie was good because it was entertaining but still had a history lesson in there too. In this way, it was sort of like Braveheart.

Ugh.  Only the ending is watchable. 

For me, it would be "Tremors".  I rented it with a bunch of friends 15 years ago, after a wedding.  It may well be the best "creature feature" ever made.

The acting is well done, especially Michael Gross and Reba McEntyre as the husband/wife gun nuts.  I realized that Reba could more than hold her own in a movie. 

The giant tunneling worms are original as far as monsters go.  The whole movie is effective and even believable in a certain way.  Very well done.

Mike

496537[/snapback]

I couldnt agree more buckeye. Kevin Bacon and his buddy were good in that movie as well. A classic "great little movie"

I couldnt agree more buckeye. Kevin Bacon and his buddy were good in that movie as well. A classic "great little movie"

497026[/snapback]

One of the main reasons that movie was so good was because it was what it was - a tribute to the B-monster movies of the '50s and '60s like Them - and didn't try to be anything more. It's usually the movies that try to be everything to all viewers that stink, because you end up asking "What the hell was that all about?"

One of the main reasons that movie was so good was because it was what it was - a tribute to the B-monster movies of the '50s and '60s like Them - and didn't try to be anything more.  It's usually the movies that try to be everything to all viewers that stink, because you end up asking "What the hell was that all about?"

497080[/snapback]

Good analogy, CTM...I didn't know there were so many people on this board who liked "Tremors".

And I haven't seen any of the sequels either...I think they went up to "Tremors 4".

No, thank you. I will stick with the original.

Mike

Good analogy, CTM...I didn't know there were so many people on this board who liked "Tremors".

And I haven't seen any of the sequels either...I think they went up to "Tremors 4". 

No, thank you.  I will stick with the original.

Mike

497081[/snapback]

I tried to watch II...whereas Tremors was simply what it was, Tremors II didn't know what it was. Ergo, it sucked. A lot. I gave up after about ten minutes.

And from what I've heard, III and IV were actually worse. A level of suckitude that could give March of the Penguins a run for its money.

Did you see the part where they explained why the pyramids were on Earth?  They used the Hyroglyphics and everything.  I thought the first Alien was good, the second was ok and the rest stank.  Predator always stank, but this movie was good because it was entertaining but still had a history lesson in there too.  In this way, it was sort of like Braveheart.

497025[/snapback]

Damn if this isn't the post of the year for me.

There are many I can think of, but since it was talked about here recently I'll say Saw. I was expecting the same old same old, and was surprised that it actually had a bit of originality. That was the first movie in as long as I can remember where I didn't figure out the ending before it happened.

That said, I haven't and probably won't see SawII. I'm sure they screwed that up.

There are many I can think of, but since it was talked about here recently I'll say Saw.  I was expecting the same old same old, and was surprised that it actually had a bit of originality.  That was the first movie in as long as I can remember where I didn't figure out the ending before it happened.

That said, I haven't and probably won't see SawII.  I'm sure they screwed that up.

497188[/snapback]

I thought that Saw was pretty good. I was mad at myself at the end because I almost had it figured out. There were a couple of things in the movie that made me suspicious (I'm trying to be vague so I won't give it away to anyone that hasn't seen it). I started thinking about it but honestly never really guessed it.

If I had to make my pick it would be Galaxy Quest. I expected it to have one or two good laughs but otherwise be pretty bad. I ended up liking it a lot.

I thought that Saw was pretty good.  I was mad at myself at the end because I almost had it figured out.  There were a couple of things in the movie that made me suspicious (I'm trying to be vague so I won't give it away to anyone that hasn't seen it).  I started thinking about it but honestly never really guessed it.

If I had to make my pick it would be Galaxy Quest.  I expected it to have one or two good laughs but otherwise be pretty bad.  I ended up liking it a lot.

497307[/snapback]

Galaxy Quest was great! Good choice.

And what's this about?

The real MM
I appreciate Martina McBride as much as anyone but the real MM is in my avatar, thank you.

Galaxy Quest is a good choice.

My vote would be for Supertroopers. I was looking forward to the movie when it came out - but it was far better than I thought it would be.

Other choices:

Tommy Boy

Run Lola Run

Hackers

Bad Santa

497377[/snapback]

I loved Run Lola Run!