who is gonna actually pay Owens next season?

trolls_r_us

I think no team needs a great wide out as much as the Eagles do and even they wont start him now. What does that tell you? I agree with one thing, he does make a team better instantly. For ONE game! After that things start to deteriorate.

496715[/snapback]

Name ONE game this season where he suited up and didn't perform for the Eagles? Like I said, there's no denying that the guy is an a-hole and spouts off at the mouth WAY too freely, but I'm speaking strictly from a talent, and production standpoint. This guy never takes a play off, and is capable of changing the game in one play.

You are right, things may deteriorate OFF the field, but dammit you gotta love what he does on it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Name ONE game this season where he suited up and didn't perform for the Eagles?    Like I said, there's no denying that the guy is an a-hole and spouts off at the mouth WAY too freely, but I'm speaking strictly from a talent, and production standpoint.  This guy never takes a play off, and is capable of changing the game in one play. 

You are right, things may deteriorate OFF the field, but dammit you gotta love what he does on it.

496725[/snapback]

I would never try to argue that fact that the guys skills are unbelieveable. I guess the debate is the extent of the collateral damage caused by his attitude. Really, none of us can really assess that because we are not close to the team. Im am speculating that it cant be good. Bad enough that even his outrageous skills cant outweig his even more outrageous attitude. Again, hard to know for sure so its JMHO!

Guest BackInDaDay

I think he's an intelligent but very insecure man, and all his bravado is his attempt at masking it. You know... massive ego compensating for a frightened inner child stuff. :doh: It wasn't Owen's love for his teammates that got him on the field last SB, it was his overwhelming need to show the his doctors, the Eagles, the media and the fans that he shouldn't be held to standards set by lesser men than he.

If those closest to him can get him some help soon, he might salvage his career. I've heard him talk (back when Reid told him to "shut up") about having great respect for his mom, and that only she can tell him what to do. Well, Rosenhaus should get on the horn to Terrell's mom and beg her to advise her son to get some help. "It's not your fault... it's not your fault..".

Of course, successful therapy would probably take away his competitive edge, so Drew would have to overcome his own conflicting interests in getting TO help.

Personally I think both of these things are true: 1] TO is a total ass, and 2] The Eagles probably would have won that game if they didnt suspend TO. So who is it hurting more? The Fans? TO's teammates who needed that win? McNabb who needs TO because they can't run consistently? The other teams in the NFC East and the NFC? To me, as big of an **** that he is and he should just shut up, everyone should just not listen to him.

Hi Trolls,

Football is a 53 man sport, and that is only the players. Once you count in coaches, that is around 67, then the front office, this is about 75 or more people.

ONE player does not make a T-E-A-M. I capitalize team because it takes teamwork, character, chemistry, consistance to create a successful team.

At this point TO has only demonstrated his ability to shread any T-E-A-M that Reid has built. I really don't think any club would entertain signing TO unles they were desperate and willing to kill any unity they may have.

He might be ideal for a team that WANTs to be destroyed so they can move with no fan hate.

Destroyed? What exactly do you mean by "destroyed?" That some players' feelings are hurt because TO is a big jerk? Tell them to grow up and play football. Because that's what they're paid to do.

If TO's selfishness has a detrimental effect on their record, then yes, everything they have done is justified. But last I checked, he not only helps them win games, he plays a major role in them.

He might be ideal for a team that WANTs to be destroyed so they can move with no fan hate.

497172[/snapback]

IMO, canning him hurt the team, its chemistry, and the player's pocketbooks more than playing him would have. They are likely going to lose their playoff checks, they will be arguing with each other over the issue, and will have to spend the off season picking up two new starting receivers. They will have some more money to spend, but finding quality receivers is difficult in this league. Greg Lewis is virtually useless if not opposite a guy like TO. It's possible Reggie Brown could develop into a #2 but that TD he had guarantees zero. They can't run, and now they won't be able to pass. Again, it's just an opinion, but this move really hurts their team not helps it. You can say all you want about team chemistry but the fact is, the team chemistry is great when you win and it sucks when you lose. And they are likely to lose. They will finish 8-8.

Destroyed?  What exactly do you mean by "destroyed?"  That some players' feelings are hurt because TO is a big jerk?  Tell them to grow up and play football. Because that's what they're paid to do.

If TO's selfishness has a detrimental effect on their record, then yes, everything they have done is justified.  But last I checked, he not only helps them win games, he plays a major role in them.

497186[/snapback]

Any player who is looking to pick fights in his own locker room has crossed the line. No one but a madman would keep such a player in a team sport. TO's mindset is more fitting for boxing or wrestling where being an uncontrollable egomaniac is encouraged.

Well to that, I'll answer: (a) You don't know exactly what happened. (b) He produces and makes the team better.

Hugh Douglas is a punk in his own right. He's being awfully hypocritical because he held out for more money in Philly and never got it, signed with Jacksonville and was a total bust and came crawling back to Philly. He shouldn't be talking.

Fights within the team happen all the time. They usually keep them in house, but this one leaked due to its broader implications.

Any player who is looking to pick fights in his own locker room has crossed the line.  No one but a madman would keep such a player in a team sport.  TO's mindset is more fitting for boxing or wrestling where being an uncontrollable egomaniac is encouraged.

497200[/snapback]

Destroyed?  What exactly do you mean by "destroyed?"  That some players' feelings are hurt because TO is a big jerk?  Tell them to grow up and play football. Because that's what they're paid to do.

497186[/snapback]

The motivation it takes to play football, and to be a team, cannot be captured with dollar amounts. A big difference separates a player from trying hard, and trying his best, and when you have a player like TO around it effects the motivation of players and the cohesiveness of your team. Sure they get paid, but these concepts are emotional concepts, money doesn’t motivate it, or promote it.

The disparity in teams in the NFL is razor thin to begin with, and when you have a team that has leaders, and believes in each other, and is motivated to play their best, those are the very teams that seem to excel in the FA area. What recent Super Bowl champion didn’t have a team identity? Or didn’t have intense motivation, and leadership? TO severs the ability for those things to exist, and his talent doesn't make up for it. San Francisco saw this, Philadelphia saw this, why can't you see this?

San Francisco saw this. Since trading him, they are a whopping 4-20.

Philadelphia saw this. They aren't nearly as good.

So all of a sudden, the players feel better "emotionally" yet as a team, they are worse off. A team's success is measured by its wins and losses... bottom line, TO is more beneficial to his record than a detriment. In fact, without TO, the Eagles would have been blown out by New Bruschi (We're not worthy!) in last year's Super Bowl.

The motivation it takes to play football, and to be a team, cannot be captured with dollar amounts.  A big difference separates a player from trying hard, and trying his best, and when you have a player like TO around it effects the motivation of players and the cohesiveness of your team.  Sure they get paid, but these concepts are emotional concepts, money doesn’t motivate it, or promote it. 

The disparity in teams in the NFL is razor thin to begin with, and when you have a team that has leaders, and believes in each other, and is motivated to play their best, those are the very teams that seem to excel in the FA area.  What recent Super Bowl champion didn’t have a team identity? Or didn’t have intense motivation, and leadership? TO severs the ability for those things to exist, and his talent doesn't make up for it. San Francisco saw this, Philadelphia saw this, why can't you see this?

497261[/snapback]

San Francisco saw this.  Since trading him, they are a whopping 4-20.

Philadelphia saw this.  They aren't nearly as good. 

So all of a sudden, the players feel better "emotionally" yet as a team, they are worse off.  A team's success is measured by its wins and losses... bottom line, TO is more beneficial to his record than a detriment. In fact, without TO, the Eagles would have been blown out by New Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!) in last year's Super Bowl.

497266[/snapback]

Your right, because the simple addition and subtraction of TO is the reason for the rise and fall of the 49ers and Eagles. The Eagles dominated for years in the NFC, and GOT to the Super Bowl last year without him. Hell they played more games without him then with him last year. But also worth mentioning is TO being relatively quiet as he was injured, so that really didn't affect the Eagles as they went without him on their way to a NFC championship. He had a great super bowl, but they lost, and proceeded to begin calling out the Eagles most respected leader.

This year Philadelphia was a whopping 4-3 with TO, and 0-1 without him. It wasn't until this year TO started his tirade, and not coincidentally the Eagles are off to their worst start in 5 years. After his fiasco the Eagles claim irreconcilable differences, TO will be gone at the end of the year.

The 49ers have the least talented team in the NFL the last two seasons. But again we have some striking similarities with Philadelphia. Happy TO and the 49ers go 22-10 between 2001-2002. But that was before TO became the TO of today, after he started the tirade the 49ers inexplicably dropped to 7-9. After a his fiasco the 49er claim irreconcilable differences, TO will be gone at the end of the year.

You starting to see a trend?

Your right, because the simple addition and subtraction of TO is the reason for the rise and fall of the 49ers and Eagles.  The Eagles dominated for years in the NFC, and GOT to the Super Bowl last year without him. Hell they played more games without him then with him last year. But also worth mentioning is TO being relatively quiet as he was injured, so that really didn't affect the Eagles as they went without him on their way to a NFC championship.  He had a great super bowl, but they lost, and proceeded to begin calling out the Eagles most respected leader.

This year Philadelphia was a whopping 4-3 with TO, and 0-1 without him. It wasn't until this year TO started his tirade, and not coincidentally the Eagles are off to their worst start in 5 years. After his fiasco the Eagles claim irreconcilable differences, TO will be gone at the end of the year. 

The 49ers have the least talented team in the NFL the last two seasons. But again we have some striking similarities with Philadelphia.  Happy TO and the 49ers go 22-10 between 2001-2002. But that was before TO became the TO of today, after he started the tirade the 49ers inexplicably dropped to 7-9. After a his fiasco the 49er claim irreconcilable differences, TO will be gone at the end of the year. 

You starting to see a trend?

497275[/snapback]

TO played in 14 regular season games last year and had 14 touchdowns. Three other receivers played in 16 games and one played in 9. Between those four players they scored a total of 3 TDs the entire season.

TO played in 14 regular season games last year and had 14 touchdowns. Three other receivers played in 16 games and one played in 9. Between those four players they scored a total of 3 TDs the entire season.

497277[/snapback]

Wow I was off, but that doesn't efefct my point. TO is obviously a big help to a team when he is not on one of his tirads, but when he is, he's not worth what it does to the team.