describe the comeback game

hootie1

6. Nade Odoms INT in OT. When Houston forced overtime, and won the toss my stomach sank. If the emotional roller coaster we went threw that day would have ended in defeat, the euphoria would have turned into the worst feeling imaginable.  In the end Nate made the play, and Christie hammered the kick threw, the rest is left for annals of Bills lore.

495406[/snapback]

Yeah, losing would've felt similar to the Home Run Pukeup play. <_<

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All that I remember from that game is that Bruschi (We're not worthy!) threw four first-half touchdowns, but he had to fly back to Arizona at halftime for a kegger that night.

Actually my memory of that game was my girlfriend trying to make me feel better by predicting a comeback. I told her I'd marry her if it happened. That's her in my avatar. I guess I'm a man of my word.

No argument. I stand corrected. :D

The small slice of the Syracuse broadcast radius was just North of Naples on Rte 21 (Woodville?).

I think it had a population of 5 people and several hundred dairy cows. <_<

Did that coincide with AFC games going to NBC and NFC games going to Fox? I know it came down to Buffalo getting out the map and a compass and drawing a circle on a map - AND enforcing the policies. A friend up the hill from me used to get Syracuse stations on his 2nd floor. We used to watch some of the games there. :D

the non-sellout game was televised via satellite in Rochester (this was before they changed the blackout rules)

Hate to be picyune, but me thinks the pub got the game from Syracuse via some very large rabbit ears...the blackout policy in effect today goes back to 1972. Rochester was in fact officially blacked out, along w/ the rest of WNY, for the Comback Game.

There was a gin-joint on Lake Ave in Charlotte, long since gone, that use to put out a large sign whenever the Bills were blacked out, advertising that through their antenna, they had the game. This went on for a couple of seasons, until Syracuse was put in the Buffalo-Rochester market because a very small slice of the Syracuse viewing market was found to be within the 75 mile radius of RWS.

The more I tap the keyboards, the more I remember: Fat Moes on Dewey Avenue (still there?) got a tape of the game the day after and made big plans to show it that night...advertised big-time on Wease, etc. NFL suits got wind of showing the taped game and put their lawyers on the case and Fat Moes was shut out. Made for good controversy.

495379[/snapback]

I was watching the game in Syracuse, and after the Bubba McDowell INT told my Dad (half in jest): "Now would be a good time to start a comeback."

Also mention Boomer Esiason talking about Frank Reich leading the greatest comeback in college history when they were both at UMD during the Half.

Also, worth noting that Warren Moon's statistics for the 1st Half were *insane* - probably close to being near NFL records.

And my favorite image of the game - three guys dressed in nun's habits dancing and "praying" after another Bills TD in the second half.

JDG

No argument. I stand corrected.  :D

The small slice of the Syracuse broadcast radius was just North of Naples on Rte 21 (Woodville?).

I think it had a population of 5 people and several hundred dairy cows.  <_<

Did that coincide with AFC games going to NBC and NFC games going to Fox?  I know it came down to Buffalo getting out the map and a compass and drawing a circle on a map - AND enforcing the policies. A friend up the hill from me used to get Syracuse stations on his 2nd floor. We used to watch some of the games there.  :D

495443[/snapback]

7 residences and 1 closed restaurant.

Yep, when CBS got the AFC they relooked at the blackout zones. IIRC Syracuse, NY and Baton Rouge, LA were the only 2 markets nationwide that got hosed.

The small sliver of land was officially switched from Syracuse to Rochester TV market the year after Syracuse was blacked out but the league did not remove Syracuse from the blackout zone.

You need to include the fact that if you polled Buffalo, you'd find that 350,000 people were at the game, and ALL of them stayed the entire time...

(altho the stadium in the 2nd half begged to differ, as i watched the game on my uncle's satellite dish)

495000[/snapback]

Which brings up an interesting point. If he could find someone to actually admit that they did in fact leave the game after the INT made it 35-3, that might be a very interesting perspective. (Or he could just make it up)

Who else but a Bills fan could suffer the fate of missing the greatest comeback in history because they left too soon?

Watching the game on TV with the rest of my family. By then we had started all moving away (I was in college) and it was one of the few times we had all gotten together in the last few years. There's me, my parents, my 5 brother and 4 sisters, and various spouses/boyfriends crouded into my parents living room watching the Bills get blown away. Half time was a miserable state with my mom, the eternal optimistm, saying we could still come back. I secretly thought we could too, but never said so out loud for fear of jinxing anything. I spent the half time pacing in the kitchen, praying for a miracle. After the early interception and score by Houston. It became a joke. Well they only need 5 touchdowns. Hey, it could happen. That was probably about as low as I had felt watching a Bills game since they won the Superbowl against the Giants, but somehow everyone thought Norwood's kick missed.

Then as the game turned and with every play it seemed as though we were literally watching a mircale happen. The Reed touchdown was probably my most memorable moment and then I remember dancing around the house with my family, with the TV going and "It Pandemonium! Its Fandemonium!" IT was great. We were singing the Shout song and partying - it was great.

At one point we were screaming and dancing so loud our neighbors came out from across the street looking around to see what all the commotion was about. After we finally won, we literally ran around screaming and danced out in the front yard - now all our neighbors knew we were nuts.

Not only was it one of the best games I ever watched, but it was one of the best family memories I have. It truly was a miracle. And to this day gives me hope that when everything seems miserable and unwinnable, that maybe things will just turn around. Because you just never know....

7 residences and 1 closed restaurant.

Yep, when CBS got the AFC they relooked at the blackout zones.  IIRC Syracuse, NY and Baton Rouge, LA were the only 2 markets nationwide that got hosed.

The small sliver of land was officially switched from Syracuse to Rochester TV market the year after Syracuse was blacked out but the league did not remove Syracuse from the blackout zone.

495477[/snapback]

Biloxi, MS got hosed too - maybe a good thing too (the Saints)

Biloxi, MS got hosed too - maybe a good thing too (the Saints)

495535[/snapback]

And what it comes down to, is that the mighty NFL, of all the major pro and college leagues, remains the only one with a 'blackout rule.'

Incredible. :)