Peters' performance?

We might have heard his name mentioned seeing how it was his FIRST game on the line, but for some reason some a-hole, I mean hero, and I am not sure if this is spelled right, but Brooskee maybe, was all I heard about. The Bills get so much respect on prime time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question that Andersen is a disaster.

Peters had a good, but not exactly a great, first outing.  He had a TE welded to his right hip most of the game.  He got beat several times late in the game.  However, he did not embarrass himself and definitely should be given more time to get experience, as Gandy is no long term answer at OLT.  Peters needs to learn to keep his head up and not overcommit to first moves.  If and when the Bills get eliminated, putting in Peters at OLT and Geisinger at OLG really makes sense, as those two should start there next year.

493282[/snapback]

What indications do you have that Geisinger is not another Dylan McFarland-a guy who lasts 1 season because he was a draft choice & gets cut next camp? I wouldn't put Geisinger anywhere near the field from what he showed in preseason. He definitely will NOT be starting next season-he was a friggin 6th round pick who has shown less than nothing. In fact I'm shocked he's still here.

Now Peters was a pleasant surprise in his 1st NFL start, but keep him at RT for now. If we're experimenting, the long overdue move of Mike Williams at LT should be tried 1st. Moving Gandy to his natural guard position makes 100 times more sense than moving Geisinger into the lineup.

What indications do you have that Geisinger is not another Dylan McFarland-a guy who lasts 1 season because he was a draft choice & gets cut next camp?  I wouldn't put Geisinger anywhere near the field from what he showed in preseason.  He definitely will NOT be starting next season-he was a friggin 6th round pick who has shown less than nothing.  In fact I'm shocked he's still here.

Now Peters was a pleasant surprise in his 1st NFL start, but keep him at RT for now.  If we're experimenting, the long overdue move of Mike Williams at LT should be tried 1st.  Moving Gandy to his natural guard position makes 100 times more sense than moving Geisinger into the lineup.

I agree, as I said above. Gandy likely slides over the LG if Peters plays LT. Preston at center is obvious, and Big Mike will remain at RT by default since the Bills can't afford to cut him (although as was mentioned, a move to OG could happen). My order at RG was Villy, then Geisinger (the reason I mentioned him is he was considered the prototype NFL OG by many scouting services) and then Anderson, who played RG with the Ravens (BTW notice that Jamal Lewis hasn't had a 100 yard rushing game this season, with the ONLY change to the O-line being Anderson, replaced with Steelers castoff Keydrick Vincent, who many were high on?).

"What indications do you have that Geisinger is not another Dylan McFarland-a guy who lasts 1 season because he was a draft choice & gets cut next camp?"

Um, well, I just watched him for four years in college... and at the Hula and Senior Bowls, where he dominated... but you clearly know he was a 6th round pick, so your opinion is clearly based on superior evidence... like the ability to parrot what you read somewhere...

"He definitely will NOT be starting next season-he was a friggin 6th round pick who has shown less than nothing"

LOL!!!

In the preseason game I watched him, the only mistake he made was on a stunt where he was late reading it and got caught holding the DE who stunted. In that preseason game, Justin pancaked several defenders, twice on sweeps. Justin got movement on his DT on run plays, and held up well in straight pass blocking situations. As he was a four year OLT at Vandy, he will need time and experience to learn OG stuff like stunt recognition. That won't stop him from being a good one. But, heck, there is some quote from some reporter somewhere that formed the basis of "your" "opinion" of Justin... and parroting must be proof...

"Now Peters was a pleasant surprise in his 1st NFL start"

I suppose that you are going to parrot yet another quote from some reporter as "your" opinion of that. Peters did exactly as I said above - played well for his level of experience, but had a ton of help and did get beaten badly several times late in the game. Now, of course, had that reporter said Peters had been burned and looked awful, "your" "opinion" here would be... just that...

What indications do you have that Geisinger is not another Dylan McFarland-a guy who lasts 1 season because he was a draft choice & gets cut next camp?  I wouldn't put Geisinger anywhere near the field from what he showed in preseason.  He definitely will NOT be starting next season-he was a friggin 6th round pick who has shown less than nothing.  In fact I'm shocked he's still here.

Now Peters was a pleasant surprise in his 1st NFL start, but keep him at RT for now.  If we're experimenting, the long overdue move of Mike Williams at LT should be tried 1st.  Moving Gandy to his natural guard position makes 100 times more sense than moving Geisinger into the lineup.

493420[/snapback]

Fat Mike is too slow to pass protect from the right side, let alone from the left side.

The more time Peters gets on the field the better.

Fat Mike is too slow to pass protect from the right side, let alone from the left side.

The more time Peters gets on the field the better.

493605[/snapback]

I disagree. MW has had definite problems making the grade as a consistent pro tackle, but outside rushes which indicate a speed problem for him have not been the big issue.

Whe he gets beaten, it has usually been on a stunt play and an inside rush. Its difficult for us outsiders to truly identiify the blame for the sacks which we can see as we do not know the blocking scheme called or the particular responsibilities on a partticular play.

However, the worst of MW has been seen where there is a defitine indication of coordination issues with the guard to his side.

We saw this both in the obvious "I thought you had him" body language between MW and Pacillo standing over a sacked Bledsoe and also in the definite improvement measured in fewer sacks we saw when Villarial moved in as RG.

MW showed surprising speed and agility for such a big man at the Combine and in results such as his times in a shuttle drill (the OL players is called upon to get in his stance, get out of his stance, run and pick up a marker and run back to a spot an put it down and get in his stance. This is not the real game, but MW produced better times than most and showed better agility than most big guys.

There is little evidence beyond the fact that he is a big guy that speed and agility are the biggest problems in his game. If he were repeatedly beat by speed rushes to the outside, this would be a somewhat objective measure, but when he gets beat it appears to be to the inside.

Geisinger's feet looked like they were a tied shoelace from what I have seen in the preseason. His arm work, the way McNally teaches it, it not there, either -probably why he is not getting much play so far. He needs some time, but giving up on him now is crazy talk. Someone like Geisinger starting out slow is not abnormal. What is abnormal is a converted, undrafted tight end not being completely blown out in his first start at RT. He's not full-time starter material yet, either, but that was just straight-out freaky.

If anyone has the stomach to rewatch the game, one key to assessing Peters which has not been talked about much in this thread is how well he run-blocked in addition to the sack issue.

The quest for balance in play-calling means that how well he run blocks is at least as important as how well he pass blocks. Actually if we do what we want in the game, we will be running to burn clock so certainly by some measures run blocking is an even more important job for a quality OL player.

Us fans tend to get attracted to the more high profile stuff since the over-focus on sacks in assessing his play, but winning the game tends to be about a team's ability to run and to stop the run and a true assessment of Peters should start with this.

I do not have the stomach to go back and relive this game. However, if one of you is tougher than me, then taking apart how Peters did on run plays to the right side will tell a lot.

My recollection is:

1. WM produced some good running yards and I think produced over 4 yards a carry as our feature back and workhorse which are signs of good productive work by Peters.

2. ESPN did feature a graphic which broke down where WM ran to get his yards.. In general it was up the middle rather than to the right side. Given WM had avery productive game, this disparity says nothing bad at all about Peters though it does indicate that any assessment which points to his work as a key is probably a bit far-fetched.

3. The fact that Shaud Williams was also productive when he gave WM a blow and on a critical 3rd down play are indicators that the good running performance had a lot to do with good blocking and nit just simply WM being a monster. Willias critical 3rd down play was to the left side (if I remember correctly) so once again it is not knock on Peters but also no indicator of great work on his part.

Overall though the big thing to me is that the run game felt good behind this line. While it was not the point where I felt like this OL was likely to blow through an opponent, they were playing well enough that I did not fear a 3rd or 4th and short yardage play as I normally do with this OL.

In part. this may be bacause the NE DL was weak enough without Seymour and a questionable Brueschi that we could beat them up unlike other Ds. so we would have to see how he does in a few more games to spot a trend (or even a coincidence).

However, overall, I think one can reasonably feel very good in assessing Peters' play.

I disagree. MW has had definite problems making the grade as a consistent pro tackle, but outside rushes which indicate a speed problem for him have not been the big issue.

Whe he gets beaten, it has usually been on a stunt play and an inside rush. Its difficult for us outsiders to truly identiify the blame for the sacks which we can see as we do not know the blocking scheme called or the particular responsibilities on a partticular play.

However, the worst of MW has been seen where there is a defitine indication of coordination issues with the guard to his side.

We saw this both in the obvious "I thought you had him" body language between MW and Pacillo standing over a sacked Bledsoe and also in the definite improvement measured in fewer sacks we saw when Villarial moved in as RG.

MW showed surprising speed and agility for such a big man at the Combine and in results such as his times in a shuttle drill (the OL players is called upon to get in his stance, get out of his stance, run and pick up a marker and run back to a spot an put it down and get in his stance.  This is not the real game, but MW produced better times than most and showed better agility than most big guys.

There is little evidence beyond the fact that he is a big guy that speed and agility are the biggest problems in his game. If he were repeatedly beat by speed rushes to the outside, this would be a somewhat objective measure, but when he gets beat it appears to be to the inside.

493626[/snapback]

you should open your eyes when you watch the game or take off the rose colored glasses.

Although he is a mauler in the run game, his surprising speed and agility for a 380 lb person is inadequate to handle the speed rushers of the NFL. When challenged to the outside, he usually loses - whether due to his lack of quickness or his constant injuries.

And as you say, he is also lacking in the mental aspect of the game.

For the line as a whole, this is probably the single biggest deficiency- too many players without the smarts to pick up complex blocking schemes.

Fat Mike consistently gets beat by anyone with speed to the outside. F

you should open your eyes when you watch the game or take off the rose colored glasses.

Although he is a mauler in the run game, his surprising speed and agility for a 380 lb person is inadequate to handle the speed rushers of the NFL. When challenged to the outside, he usually loses - whether due to his lack of quickness or his constant injuries.

And as you say, he is also lacking in the mental aspect of the game.

For the line as a whole, this is probably the single biggest deficiency- too many players without the smarts to pick up complex blocking schemes.

Fat Mike consistently gets beat by anyone with speed to the outside. F

494013[/snapback]

You're a real sh--head, you know that? :lol:

"For the line as a whole, this is probably the single biggest deficiency- too many players without the smarts to pick up complex blocking schemes."

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player_bi...layer_id=122604

A model of consistency, Justin has been one of the few bright spots for the Commodores’ program since arriving on campus as a freshman. This massive road grader is one of the finest trap blockers in the country. He knows how to use his size and aggressive nature to engulf

defensive lineman that dare to challenge him in the trenches. Justin attended Mount Lebanon (Pittsburgh, Pa.) High, where he earned second-team All-State honors as a senior. He led the team to an 11-2 record and the state quarterfinals that year and was named to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette "Fabulous 22" and the Pittsburgh Tribune Review "Terrific 25" squads. He was the starting left tackle for the Pennsylvania team in the “Big 33” Classic and was also selected All-District and All-Conference. Justin played on the baseball team that won the 1998 Western Pennsylvania Championship. He was a member of National Honor Society and high honor roll student, graduating with a 4.0 grade point average. Regarded as the school’s finest prospect on the offensive line since the days of Will Wolford (1982-85), Justin brings a love for the game, a strong desire to succeed and stellar leadership ability to this young team. He is one of the strongest players on the college gridiron, boasting several team records in the weight room, including a 600-pound bench press, 43 repetitions of the 225-pound bench press, 650-pound squat and 1600-pound total weight (bench/squat/clear). Justin has started every game (43) that he’s played in for the Commodores, including a string of 26 consecutive games, before being sidelined for several contests due to injury in 2003. The two-time team captain is a devastating run blocker, but also shows great technique in protecting the quarterback’s blind side from the blitz and pass rush…Even for a player of his size, he does an excellent job of staying low in his stance and exploding off the snap to immediately gain leverage.

Want SMART football players from the SEC?

Then check out Vandy... and... well, just Vandy...

Peters needs to learn to keep his head up and not overcommit to first moves.

Good observation. It didn't seem to be so much of a waist-bending problem as much as just burying his head to get as far into a guy as he could. I have little difficulty seeing it improving as he gains experience and becomes more comfortable with his footwork.

And thanx for the note on Geisinger. I didn't realize he was a WesternPennsyltucky kid; his game just improved 200% in my eyes. :lol:

Fake-Fat, I would like to know if you are high, drunk or both when you watch the games ?

How the hell can you say Mikey doesn't get beat to the outside by speed rushers ? :lol: My God it's only been happening since day-1 when he arrived.

LaDairis's descriptions of Geisinger are quite encouraging. I'd like to see him get some playing time to see how he handles the transition to guard.

I think that writing ANY rookie off, especially based on pre-season performance, is wrong.

Not that Anderson has done anything to get himself benched.  :lol:

I still can't help but think that the Ravens losing Anderson (and replacing him with a guy many here wanted, Keydrick Vincent, formerly of the Steelers) is one of the big reasons that Jamal Lewis hasn't recorded a single 100 yard game this year. It's not like they can use Kyle Boller as an excuse, since Lewis had a good season last year with Boller at the helm, and he hasn't played in awhile, and Anthony Wright is no worse than Boller.

I think that writing ANY rookie off, especially based on pre-season performance, is wrong. 

I still can't help but think that the Ravens losing Anderson (and replacing him with a guy many here wanted, Keydrick Vincent, formerly of the Steelers) is one of the big reasons that Jamal Lewis hasn't recorded a single  100 yard game this year.  It's not like they can use Kyle Boller as an excuse, since Lewis had a good season last year with Boller at the helm, and he hasn't played in awhile, and Anthony Wright is no worse than Boller.

494293[/snapback]

Even if Anderson is the road grader you make him out to be, his missed block caused that fumble, which basically cost the Bills the game. Hopefully he will improve as he learns the system.

Even if Anderson is the road grader you make him out to be, his missed block caused that fumble, which basically cost the Bills the game.

I wasn't making Anderson out to be anything, just wondering aloud if one had anything to do with the other. And I'm not satisfied with him being a road grader but a liability in pass protection.

Hopefully he will improve as he learns the system.

I have doubts about that, which is why I would like to see Gandy take his spot (presumably next year, with Peters playing LT).

I still can't help but think that the Ravens losing Anderson (and replacing him with a guy many here wanted, Keydrick Vincent, formerly of the Steelers) is one of the big reasons that Jamal Lewis hasn't recorded a single  100 yard game this year.  It's not like they can use Kyle Boller as an excuse, since Lewis had a good season last year with Boller at the helm, and he hasn't played in awhile, and Anthony Wright is no worse than Boller.

494293[/snapback]

:lol: Jamal & the Ravens have some issues to deal with this year, but dumping Bennie Anderson is definitely not one of them.