Halloween

stevestojan

The thing I've noticed over the past few years is that kids are DRIVING to the houses now.  Maybe it's just in our area, but I see a ton of minivans drive to the neighborhood, doors fly open and kids run out like a SWAT team.  Once they finish the block, they pile back in the van and drive to the next block.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  I understand why parents go with the kids, but why do they have to drive 'em all over the place?  What's wrong with walking to the houses, isn't that half the fun...?  <_<

492932[/snapback]

Chris,

I think a lot of that is kids coming in from differant neighborhoods. I know ours has a great reputation for decorations, and really good treats. Crimminy, I think half the houses give out full size candy bars.

One cool thing my daughters school is that they are requested to bring in half of their "loot" to send to some shelters and and such where some kids may not really have the chance to trick or treat. Amazing how readily, and excited, they are willing to do that. Course, when your looking at several full size Snickers and Baby Ruth bars, prolly a little easier to do.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I've noticed over the past few years is that kids are DRIVING to the houses now.  Maybe it's just in our area, but I see a ton of minivans drive to the neighborhood, doors fly open and kids run out like a SWAT team.  Once they finish the block, they pile back in the van and drive to the next block.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  I understand why parents go with the kids, but why do they have to drive 'em all over the place?  What's wrong with walking to the houses, isn't that half the fun...?  :wub:

492932[/snapback]

When my kids were little we really enjoyed walking with them, often in costumes ourselves!

We got a lot of city kids, driven in by their parents. Hell, when I lived in the city, I drove to the burbs, too! It is a LOT safer.

I had lots of lights on so the kids could see where they were walking. I observed MOST of the kids had adults with them or at "viewing distance" allowing the older kids a little freedom while making sure they were OK.

Yes, we had the ignorant hood mobiles too, carrying little fat kids from driveway to driveway, but some people DO suck. <_<

In general the kids were well behaved, said thanks, and were dressed in cool costumes. I figure I had about 75 kids or more.

When it got to be about 8:30 and things slowed down, I just turned out the lights and kids by passed us. Yeah there were a few obligatory smashed pumpkins in the street, but it would not be Halloween without SOME mischief. :wub:

Mild weather is what brought so many out.

p.s. when I was a kid, The Birds scared the stevestojan out of me! :wub:

Chris,

I think a lot of that is kids coming in from differant neighborhoods. I know ours has a great reputation for decorations, and really good treats. Crimminy, I think half the houses give out full size candy bars.

That's fine -- but why can't people park their cars and walk the rest of the way? The cars are literally following the kids from house to house, and when they get to the end of one block, the kids get in the car, drive to the next block, and repeat.

Why not park at the entrance to the development and walk around to the houses? It's ridiculous.

CW

Terrible "horror" movies on all day, little kids ringing my doorbell for handouts, the end of daylight savings time, so it gets dark at 2 in the afternoon, and the cold weather is right around the corner. All around, a depressing night...

492528[/snapback]

Stojan, you're the scrooge of Hallowe'en. It's beautiful weather, you've probably got a good-size bowl of leftover candy and it's one of the few holidays that's just about having fun.

Sadly Jin, I agree with you. I can be one lazy sumbitch, but that is the height of laziness

493027[/snapback]

Everyone has those days when you don't do sh$t, but for some people it has become a lifestyle.

I actually quite enjoyed it this year. I worked a detail in Salem MA, and had two beauties dressed in maid outfits pose for a picture with me. I almost fell down when they rubbed there legs on me..............

They are forever burned into my brain. Please, no one tell my wife.

Oh yeah, little bo peep was quite fetching as well.

Terrible "horror" movies on all day, little kids ringing my doorbell for handouts, the end of daylight savings time, so it gets dark at 2 in the afternoon, and the cold weather is right around the corner. All around, a depressing night...

492528[/snapback]

Sorry to hear you had a bummer of a night Steve. Maybe next year you won't turn down your evite to the Neverland Ranch Halloween bash.

Not a single kid showed up yesterday in my apartment complex

492968[/snapback]

Fewer kids than normal, here. The media made a big deal about..."What if YOUR CHILD happens to knock on the door of a sex offender (hand wringing, teeth gnashing etc.)."

Typical left wing the-sky-is-falling claptrap. <_<

Fewer kids than normal, here.  The media made a big deal about..."What if YOUR CHILD happens to knock on the door of a sex offender (hand wringing, teeth gnashing etc.)."

Typical left wing the-sky-is-falling claptrap. <_<

493225[/snapback]

It helps to know your neighbors, but that's old fashioned. Oh yeah, with my dad standing at the sidewalk watching my every move, I was pretty safe. The real problem might be that developers aren't putting sidewalks in the new developments. With no sidewalks, it makes it hard to meet your neighbors. No place for Dad to stand while you're trick or treating. It's a vicious circle.

I had no kids last night. Of course, the trees lying across the sidewalks (yes we have them) might have been a deterrent.

Terrible "horror" movies on all day,

the end of daylight savings time, so it gets dark at 2 in the afternoon,

492528[/snapback]

<_<:wub:

If you're just sitting around watching movies all day, then why are you so upset about it getting dark early. :wub: