I'm Not Ready...

buckeyemike

I only got to watch the first half today, but it sounds like the second half was a real abomination.

The Bills simply got outplayed today by a desperate Oakland team at home, plain and simple. The OL couldn't open any holes for McGahee and the play on 4th and Goal I thought was a clever one. It was not executed well at all.

Holcomb is playing fairly well, but he seems hamstrung. He has never been able to throw downfield very well, and that's why you didn't see it today.

I saw guys like London Fletcher play their hearts out, but once again, it just wasn't enough. The Raider receivers seemed to have a step on the Bills in the first half. The defense really misses Takeo (that might be the understatement of the year).

Lindell might well be the MVP on this team right now.

Hey, they're 3-4, going up against a wounded Patriot team on national TV next week. One that gets Bruschi back, I know, but we have no idea how well he'll play. The guy did have a stroke, after all.

They are still in contention for the division title, with the season not yet half over. If they lose badly next week, then it may be time to put JP in and ride it out the rest of the way.

I will reevaluate next Monday.

Mike

The Bills simply got outplayed today by a desperate Oakland team at home, plain and simple.  The OL couldn't open any holes for McGahee and the play on 4th and Goal I thought was a clever one.  It was not executed well at all.

484103[/snapback]

There we go, make excuses for 'the best back in the NFL again'. Why does nobody ever call this guy out, he stunk it up, and had a couple cutbacks for big gains that were totally missed. Holcomb and the rest of the offence played very well considering there was no running game from Willis at all.

Willis' longest gain today? Nine yards.

That just won't cut it. This is supposed to be a rushing team, built around McGahee.

He's a quality back, in the Top 10 in the NFL, but quite a ways behind LaDainian Tomlinson.

Mike

There we go, make excuses for 'the best back in the NFL again'.  Why does nobody ever call this guy out, he stunk it up, and had a couple cutbacks for big gains that were totally missed.  Holcomb and the rest of the offence played very well considering there was no running game from Willis at all.

484109[/snapback]

I will give Willis this: he didn't getthe 25-30 touches that pundits say a feature back needs to get. After being effective on the first drive, Tom Clements decided to "confuse" the Raiders by not running McGahee. After the fiasco, he went back to running WM, then quit again. The offensive playcalling is still a mystery to me. One of these days, I think TC will call for taking a knee just because "the opposition won't be expecting it!"

PTR

It's BS that the Raiders were desperate today. They were there to be beat. Our OC never stretched the D hence they clamped down on us. They knew Holcomb was only going to throw 10yds max. Also, whats up with our secondary? They couldnt make it any easier for Collins giving a 12yd cushion every first down.

It's BS that the Raiders were desperate today. They were there to be beat. Our OC never stretched the D hence they clamped down on us. They knew Holcomb was only going to throw 10yds max. Also, whats up with our secondary? They couldnt make it any easier for Collins giving a 12yd cushion every first down.

484125[/snapback]

I disagree with the "BS" take, but you make a good point with the secondary argument. Collins has the weapons and the arm to throw downfield.

Holcomb doesn't have a rocket arm, so the OC plans to his strengths...short slants, especially. I don't know how many times I've seen the short pass to Moulds over the middle the last three weeks, but I'm starting to telegraph it.

Mike

There we go, make excuses for 'the best back in the NFL again'.  Why does nobody ever call this guy out, he stunk it up, and had a couple cutbacks for big gains that were totally missed.  Holcomb and the rest of the offence played very well considering there was no running game from Willis at all.

484109[/snapback]

You've signed up to this board for one reason - to bash Willis McGahee as much as you can. Did he do something to you in the past (decline an autograph?) and this is your way of getting revenge?!?

Last time I checked Willis doesn't play offensive line, offensive coordinator, defensive line... err every defensive position I mean. Willis is not the reason we lost this game, clearly. Anyone who was watching the game could see that though.

Guest BackInDaDay
I don't know how many times I've seen the short pass to Moulds over the middle the last three weeks

484135[/snapback]

Guess there's one happy Bill tonight.

I don't buy into the "desparation" stuff either. Last week they were a desparate 1-3 team playing a division rival at home with already 1 home division loss in the books....they got crushed, and their season ended in the process.

The 4th & goal decision turned out to be quite insignificant contrary to Rich Gannon's dumb remarks....We eventually got 3 points out of the favorable field position.

I only got to watch the first half today, but it sounds like the second half was a real abomination.

I saw guys like London Fletcher play their hearts out, but once again, it just wasn't enough.  The Raider receivers seemed to have a step on the Bills in the first half.  The defense really misses Takeo (that might be the understatement of the year).

484103[/snapback]

While I appreciate your enthusiasim Mike, I guess I didn't see the same thing as you. London Fletcher and Lawyer Milloy had, perhaps, their worst games in a Buffalo uniform. I like Fletcher and all, but he had at least 4 horrible missed tackles...and Milloy got dragged all over the field in the second half.

All in all, this game illustrated that this defense is not only not as good as we thought it was going into the season, but, as a friend of mine said after the game, it isn't even as good as we may have thought it was going into this game. With all of the "name talent" the Bills had on the field defensively today, it was an extremely poor effort on their part. I know it is cliche, but the Raiders offense played like they wanted this game badly, and the defense just rolled over and let them have it. Nate Clements was attrocious and lazy all afternoon as well. He is not the best corner in the leauge, as he and many here seem to think. He may have all of the ability of the best corner, but if he doesn't utilize it, let him underachieve somewhere else next year....Vincent and Milloy, I can sort of make excuses for, they are both long in the tooth, and McGee is still learning. Clements, the self professed best in the leauge, got burned all day today, and his tackling efforts were pitiful...

As many problems as the offense had today, this loss goes squarely on the shoulders of the defense.

Now, I am not giving up on the season yet either. Next weeks game is make or break for this team. Win, and the Bills go week to week, trying to claw their way into a playoff spot. Lose, and we might as well go back to the Losman experiment. The Bills couldn't get the Oakland monkey off their back, is beating New England, in New England, on a nationally televised game too much to expect? I hope not! <_<

The Bills simply got outplayed today by a desperate Oakland team at home, plain and simple.  The OL couldn't open any holes for McGahee and the play on 4th and Goal I thought was a clever one.  It was not executed well at all.

Holcomb is playing fairly well, but he seems hamstrung.  He has never been able to throw downfield very well, and that's why you didn't see it today. 

I saw guys like London Fletcher play their hearts out, but once again, it just wasn't enough.  The Raider receivers seemed to have a step on the Bills in the first half.  The defense really misses Takeo (that might be the understatement of the year).

Lindell might well be the MVP on this team right now. 

Hey, they're 3-4, going up against a wounded Patriot team on national TV next week.  One that gets Bruschi back, I know, but we have no idea how well he'll play.  The guy did have a stroke, after all.

They are still in contention for the division title, with the season not yet half over.  If they lose badly next week, then it may be time to put JP in and ride it out the rest of the way. 

I will reevaluate next Monday.

Mike

484103[/snapback]

Nothing personal mike, but you guys must have harvested some mighty good buds out there in ohio this year send some my way.......The patriots wounded ....they still score 24-31 points a game and they'll be at home...the bills will not be able to stay in the game long without turnovers and even a wounded patriots team doesn't turn the ball over enough to help this team score the 30 plus that I think will be needed to beat them......not to mention the rest of the schedule..

You've signed up to this board for one reason - to bash Willis McGahee as much as you can. Did he do something to you in the past (decline an autograph?) and this is your way of getting revenge?!?

Last time I checked Willis doesn't play offensive line, offensive coordinator, defensive line... err every defensive position I mean. Willis is not the reason we lost this game, clearly. Anyone who was watching the game could see that though.

484145[/snapback]

I happen to agree with him....willis is not a GREAT back he might be someday but right now he looks like an excellent straight ahead runner when the holes are there....but other than that, I don't see much of an ability to break a game wide open single handed like the GREAT backs do.....A great back can win a game with one or two plays and willis just doesn't have it........sorry if thats upsetting but he's no great back in my opinion..........He doesn't look to fluid to me......

Is there anyone who thinks Brady won't pick apart this pathetic excuse for a defense like child's play? I mean come on, we got destroyed by a horrible Oakland team. You know what that makes us? HORRIBLE. Gee, I wonder if Belichik will be able to figure out how to stop noodle arm Holcomb. I'm sure thats a tough assignment. He'll probably come out with 4 lineman and 7 linebackers because we can't throw past 15 yards with any hint of accuracy.

RTB

Hey, they're 3-4, going up against a wounded Patriot team on national TV next week.  One that gets Bruschi back, I know, but we have no idea how well he'll play.  The guy did have a stroke, after all.

484103[/snapback]

I don't know anyone that has had a stroke and been able to recover 100%. Of course, I also don't know that many stroke victims, nor am I a doctor, and it's been awhile since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

I don't buy into the "desparation" stuff either.  Last week they were a desparate 1-3 team playing a division rival at home with already 1 home division loss in the books....they got crushed, and their season ended in the process.

The 4th & goal decision turned out to be quite insignificant contrary to Rich Gannon's dumb remarks....We eventually got 3 points out of the favorable field position.

484203[/snapback]

I've only seen a few people mention this and it's very true. The Bills forced an endzone punt after failing on 4th down, and kicked a FG with the field position they got follwing it. Had they kicked the FG on 4th down early, they probably would not have gotten the ball anywhere near a spot that they did.

No, getting the FG on the drive following the 4th down miss wasn't exactly the same, but it was close enough to look at other factors (a total team and coaching collapse) to explain the loss.

I don't know anyone that has had a stroke and been able to recover 100%. Of course, I also don't know that many stroke victims, nor am I a doctor, and it's been awhile since I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

484370[/snapback]

Hahaha...Nice use of the pop culture reference. It's little gems like this that keep a smile on my face through bad times and my wife from understanding me.

I happen to agree with him....willis is not a GREAT back he might be someday but right now he looks like an excellent straight ahead runner when the holes are there....but other than that, I don't see much of an ability to break a game wide open single handed like the GREAT backs  do.....A great back can win a game with one or two plays and willis just doesn't have it........sorry if thats upsetting but he's no great back in my opinion..........He doesn't look to fluid to me......

484312[/snapback]

While I don't think he is the best RB in the league, everybody is just hating on WM because he made that statement. I mean both LT and Alexander got shutdown yesterday and put up worse stats than WM. And if the D had come to play I'm pretty sure WM would have gotten more yards as he couldn't touch the ball in the 2nd half. As a matter of fact today was the first time they ever utilized WM in the passing game and they should expand his role; today was the first game in I don't know when that I have saw the Bills run a screen pass! The offense, while not putting up great numbers, was not the blame for this game the D has to be held accountable. That is why I hated the move to Holcomb; he has played good but his arm makes Chad Pennington look like a cannon. But this team is going no where and he clearly is not a franchise QB which is why we gain nothing by going 8-8 or 9-7 with him at the helm for we will be worse for wear in 2006 as they will try to sell JP to us all over again and the scrutiny will be even greater on him.