In their prime - who was/is the better back?

Kipers Hair

All of Willis's chest thumping this week got me to thinking - is he that great? I really like what I see when he gets the ball enough, however, in his heyday, Thurman was an electric presence and showed in the biggest of games, (I can only hope WM gets a chance to lose a helmet in the bog one...). Anyway - if Willis was with the Kely QB led teams - how good woud the running game have been? I bet bottom dollar, Thurman would struggle badly with this team... Thoughts?

Willis aint in the same league as thremal.

When was the last tiem Willis leveled a blitzer like thermal did?

when was the last time Willis took a pass to the house?

When did Willis ever hava a 200 yard rushing game?

When did Willis ever take a team and put it on his shoulders?

Willis can't be mentioned in the same sentence as thermal... period

Willis is all "blow" and no "show"!!!

While I choose not to disparage the talents and abilities of the young Willis McGahee, Thurman Thomas' pass catching abilities were without peer, he was incredibly durable over a very long time, he regularly stayed in on 3rd downs - making a high percentage of 1st down conversions, and rarely came out of a game unless he had just gouged the Defense with a particularly long gain.

Willis, on the other hand has had a few good games as a Bill. I wish him many more in the years ahead and perhaps one day - if the coaches see fit to utilize his God-given talents, we will be able to have a meaningful debate as to which of these athletes were "better" than the other.

Willis cannot yet carry Thurman's helmet.

While he has amazing potential and a tremendous upside he hasn't yet :

1. picked up the blitz consistently like Thurman did

2. run the screen as well as Thurman did

3. been as consistent as Thurman was

4. grown up.

Granted it took Thurman a little while to do all of these things but I still think that at the end of Willis'e in Buffalo he will still not reach the status of Thurman Thomas - the best all around back the Bills have ever had.

All of Willis's chest thumping this week got me to thinking - is he that great?  I really like what I see when he gets the ball enough, however, in his heyday, Thurman was an electric presence and showed in the biggest of games, (I can only hope WM gets a chance to lose a helmet in the bog one...).  Anyway - if Willis was with the Kely QB led teams - how good woud the running game have been?  I bet bottom dollar, Thurman would struggle badly with this team...  Thoughts?

484004[/snapback]

Is this for real?

All of Willis's chest thumping this week got me to thinking - is he that great?  I really like what I see when he gets the ball enough, however, in his heyday, Thurman was an electric presence and showed in the biggest of games, (I can only hope WM gets a chance to lose a helmet in the bog one...).  Anyway - if Willis was with the Kely QB led teams - how good woud the running game have been?  I bet bottom dollar, Thurman would struggle badly with this team...  Thoughts?

484004[/snapback]

You are completely nuts!!! Willis can't carry Thurman's helmut (or jockstrap). He's done nothing in the NFL but talk trash that he hasn't backed up. If his running was as good as his 'mind' as he says, he would be fine.

After Willis wears out his welcome with his big fat mouth and lands on some other team -- THEN he will be in his prime.  He's got a lot of maturing to do.

484161[/snapback]

Good thing we'll have Reggie Bush waiting in the wings to take over when WM leaves. <_<

Willis aint in the same league as thremal.

When was the last tiem Willis leveled a blitzer like thermal did?

when was the last time Willis took a pass to the house?

When did Willis ever hava a 200 yard rushing game?

When did Willis ever take a team and put it on his shoulders?

Willis can't be mentioned in the same sentence as thermal... period

Willis is all "blow" and no "show"!!!

484013[/snapback]

Totally agree,,,plus I think the question is an insult to my football knowledge and that isn't saying much, I am just an average fan...

Guest BackInDaDay

McGahee has to first get to Mini-Max Anderson status, then work his way up to Greg Bell. Call me when he gets to Joe Cribbs. <_<

They are both similar in that they dropped to the Bills in the draft due to college knee injuries. After that, the similarities stop. Thurman was much more of a threat on all plays, and was a prototypical 3rd-down back (who also happened to play on 1st and 2nd downs as well.) Willis is more of a bruiser and can get his 100 yards without you noticing too much. He needs work as a receiver and blocker. I think Willis is an exceptional talent and has the opportunity to be one of the great Bills backs. But he's only started 18 games. I think the career comparisons can wait.